Re: New idea for prodcut loyalty and increasing overall image

2004-02-28 03:57:28 PM
delphi72
Erwien Saputra writes:
I fully support for the idea. Even though I have heard that Borland
provides complete solution with starteam, together, caliber, I have no
ida how it works. If the video can display something that public can
see, that will be awesome.
Me too. Seeing ECO presented at the user group earlier this week (in
addition to a couple things I read on these forums) got me potentially
interested. But there was only time for 10-15 minutes of ECO.
I'd be interested in seeing a 1/2 hour webcast on the subject, with a
dicussion group set up here - maybe there could be a borland.webcasts
newsgroup to discuss it afterwards.
--
"The system is less energetic when domains of opposite direction
alternate." - Dr. Memory

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
>If you have suggestions for how to make this happen other than Borland
>providing the opportunity for it that we already do, I am quite
>interested.
Christopher Latta writes:
I'm not sure what the opportunity is that Borland already provides. I
dropped by BDNtv and got an "invoked "break" outside of a loop" error.
The Get Published link is only for arcticles, and specifically does not
support video. If there is a system already in place, could you
elaborate on that?
Yeah, what is it?

Re: New idea for prodcut loyalty and increasing overall image

Richard Grossman writes:
I'm kind of a short-attention span type so 3 minutes each week would be
better...
Now *there's* an interesting slip I made!!!
I'm not really THAT short on attention span! I meant to say,
"I'm kind of a short-attention span type so *30* minutes each week would
be better..."
3 minutes is the amount of *free-time* I have, not my attention span <g>
--
"The system is less energetic when domains of opposite direction
alternate." - Dr. Memory

Re: New idea for prodcut loyalty and increasing overall image

pnichols writes:
I have an idea as to how Borland can increase user loyalty and also
improve the overall image of the suite of Borland tools (Delphi,
CBuilder X, JBuilder, etc.). What do you think?

I would like to see short presentations about future develpoments. Look
at this:
msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/episode.aspx
HARPDF/manifest.xml
here you can download a video about new features in Whidbey. This is
something, Iīm missing from Borland (if they have it: please tell me
where).
MS shows the community what is going to happen in their new
development tools. Thatīs great because then I get a feeling where in
which way a product runs.
If I took this video, than I had to say that it is better using Visual
Studio then Borland C#Builder or Delphi.Net because I can see *now*
that some of my favorite things will be implemented (refactoring for
example). For Borland I have no idea what will come here.
I think such short video sessions are easily to produce (focus on
content then on video quality) and would give good help for decisions.
best regards,
Ulrich
--
Ulrich Kobsa
Posted using XanaNews 1.16.1.11

Re: New idea for prodcut loyalty and increasing overall image

Richard Grossman writes:
... and they have a marketing-plan for
developers as evidenced by these forums...
Wow - did you really mean to say that Borland marketing actually planned
this mud wrestling event?<rbg>
--Hairy <never one to allow context to get in the way of a comment>
PS: FYI as I type this I am downloading the 82 MB episode #40 of the MS
dotNetShow video so yeah, I find this sort of thing informative and helpful.

pnichols writes:
I have an idea as to how Borland can increase user loyalty and also
improve the overall image of the suite of Borland tools (Delphi,
CBuilder X, JBuilder, etc.). What do you think?

Let's say that Borland offers a interactive Web cast each month,
highlighting the features and abilities of the different Borland
products. When I say Web cast, I mean REAL Web cast, like
Audio/Visual, using slides, chat, and audio features. The persons
taking part in the Web Cast, could focus on particular development
issues that would be seen as important to the user community (general
information, multi-tiered Database applications, Integration with
platform APIs, refactoring, low level functionality, resource
inclusions, Web development. DOT.NET features, Web services, etc).

[snip]

great, great, excellent idea.
My experience with webcasts is somewhat demoralizing as up to now.
Once there was the choice of Realplayer and windows media.
I chose of of them and run the provided test which was successful.
When the webcast came, I had no images, just the sound.
If a web cast the neither Realplayer nor Windows media, because
there are too many compressors and you don't have the right one.
It shouldn't be too difficult to provide a standardized player
with Delphi source for the wary.
Then consider that the broadcast may not be live for other
continents. That would also save on bandwidth.
Perhaps this technology might need some enhancements as not
to drain too many resources. EG, local and intermediate
caching proxies.
I admittedly do not use many available Delphi technologies
because the initial effort required is simply too high.
Rene
--
Ing.Buro R.Tschaggelar www.ibrtses.com
Your newsgroups @ www.talkto.net

Richard Grossman writes:
Me too. Seeing ECO presented at the user group earlier this week (in
addition to a couple things I read on these forums) got me
potentially interested. But there was only time for 10-15 minutes of
ECO.
That is another good one. It is harder to make a business case when
management could not see it, and when they are looking for solution,
sometimes other companies that offer solution, do not offer Borland's
offering.
Wien.

Erwien Saputra writes:
Harry Van Tassell writes:

>PS: FYI as I type this I am downloading the 82 MB episode #40 of the
>MS dotNetShow video so yeah, I find this sort of thing informative
>and helpful.

I heard about it, but I have never seen it, where did you get it?

dotNetShow:
msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/Archive.asp
They do a lot of Shows & Webcasts
msdn.microsoft.com/showsandwebcasts/
--Hairy

Harry Van Tassell writes:

dotNetShow:
msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/Archive.asp

They do a lot of Shows & Webcasts
msdn.microsoft.com/showsandwebcasts/
Thanks! I will take a look.
Wien.

Re: New idea for prodcut loyalty and increasing overall image

pnichols writes:
If we could make it a community process, that would be cool. Unless
it gets too large we could initially host it on one of our corporate
servers. We are getting upgraded to fiber in the next few months.
That sounds like a really cool system. My thought was that the
bandwidth would be the big problem (at least, I hope the bandwidth
would be a problem!). The offer to host it is generous. Let's see what
JK comes back with - it may already be possible within the realms of
BDNtv.
Otherwise, there may be a business model there. Some sort of
subscription based on-line webcast training system. Something to cover
the costs of the servers and bandwidth and give the presenters a
financial incentive. The open source, access-to-all model is also
attractive, of course (except possibly to the people who would have to
pay to keep the system available).
I'm certainly interested in hearing your ideas on how this could be
further developed.
Christopher Latta

Christopher Latta writes:
pnichols writes:

>If we could make it a community process, that would be cool. Unless
>it gets too large we could initially host it on one of our corporate
>servers. We are getting upgraded to fiber in the next few months.

That sounds like a really cool system. My thought was that the
bandwidth would be the big problem (at least, I hope the bandwidth
would be a problem!). The offer to host it is generous. Let's see what
JK comes back with - it may already be possible within the realms of
BDNtv.

The hosting was in regards to the idea of a downloadable Web Start
application, That would be hosted on the user's machine, and only the data
(which we would compress using a byte array stream from the http server
portion), would be streamed to the client. I could not host what I
suggested at the onset of the question. That would take up too much of my
server bandwidth, and I'd have to pay extra :).
If Borland wants to pay for the extra bandwidth and another SCSI drive, I
might be able to do it :)

Christopher Latta in <403ff05b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I'm not sure what the opportunity is that Borland already provides. I
dropped by BDNtv and got an "invoked "break" outside of a loop" error.
Sigh. That error keeps coming back.
The Get Published link is only for arcticles, and specifically does
not support video.
It supports attachments.
Borland would need to create some sort of common look-and-feel so that
they appeared to be part of the same series and were branded
appropriately, like slideshow templates, etc.
Like BDNtv has.
This is all time and budget consuming, of course, and you would have
to decide whether it was worth commiting these things to such a
project given the competing demands.
... which is why it hasn't happened, other than making getpublished
available.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Add a feature/Fix a bug: qc.borland.com

Re: New idea for prodcut loyalty and increasing overall image

How much MB? what is necesary for host them? I own a host...
Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] escribi?
I've had a couple of hours worth of "model driven architecture" meeting
video including slides for the past year, but wasn't able to convince
Borland to host it.