Re: How much does Delphi 05 cost?

2004-10-15 06:55:58 PM
delphi216
On 15 Oct 2004 19:45:27 -0700, Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
mrDelphi4ever writes:

>How much does Delphi 05 Professional cost?

tinyurl.com/433uq
Have any hobbyists here seen this and decided that Delphi is no longer for
them?
--
tom -at- tomjb -dot- com

Re: How much does Delphi 05 cost?

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:21:55 -0600, Charles McAllister writes:
I don't understand all these 'sticker shock' posts. Its not like D7, and
D8 were cheap either. Did you expect the prices to go down? I am happy the
prices didn't go up.
As it looks now (though I hope this changes - like how Rudy hinted it could
- for Borland's sake), the least expensive new user version of Delphi will
be $999.99.
I'd presume that, having seen this, some hobbyists might consider moving to
an alternative programming environment which has prices more suited to
their budgets... hence my question.
However, as Rudy mentioned, a personal, or some such, edition may be
announced later (though if this is set to happen, Borland should've already
announced it, IMV).
--
tom -at- tomjb -dot- com

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:46:59 +0200, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Thomas Edison writes:

>However, as Rudy mentioned, a personal, or some such, edition may be
>announced later (though if this is set to happen, Borland should've
>already announced it, IMV).

Not so sure about that.
Not sure that Borland should've already announced it? Why not?
Joe Professional: Hey, J.
Joe Hobbyist: Hi, J!
Joe Professioanl: Heard about the next release of Delphi?
Joe Hobbyist: Yeah, sounds cool.
Joe Professional: It can be pre-ordered now, ya know?
Joe Hobbyist: Ah, didn't know that. How much is the personal edition?
Joe Professional: There isn't one mentioned.
Joe Hobbyist: Huh? Okay... how much is the professional edition?
Joe Professional: $1000.
Joe Hobbyist: EY?!?
Joe Hobbyist: *sigh* Guess Borland have given up on us hobbyists,
then...
Joe Professional: Well, there's always Visual C#/VB.NET Standard Edition...
--
tom -at- tomjb -dot- com

Newsgroup guidelines: www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Thomas Edison writes:
On 15 Oct 2004 19:45:27 -0700, Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:

>mrDelphi4ever writes:
>
>>How much does Delphi 05 Professional cost?
>
>tinyurl.com/433uq

Have any hobbyists here seen this and decided that Delphi is no
longer for them?
The fact that there is no cheap version yet does not mean there can't
be. The Personal and trial versions were usually announced a little
later, i.e. some time after shipment.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"You ask me if I keep a notebook to record my great ideas. I have only

Re: How much does Delphi 05 cost?

Have any hobbyists here seen this and decided that Delphi is no longer for
them?
Just because you decide you can not afford the latest version doesn't mean
you're not a hobbyist anymore. It just means that you can everything you
want done with Delphi 5. Or 8 or 3 or whatever.
Oliver Townshend

Thomas Edison <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>tinyurl.com/433uq

Have any hobbyists here seen this and decided that Delphi is no longer for
them?
The only hobbyists who havent left long ago
are in Team B and get Delphi free. :-)

Israel Raj T writes:
Thomas Edison <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>>tinyurl.com/433uq
>
>Have any hobbyists here seen this and decided that Delphi is no
>longer for them?

The only hobbyists who havent left long ago
are in Team B and get Delphi free. :-)
Not entirely true. Before my TeamB time, I didn't buy Standard, but Pro
instead. I guess other serious hobbyists might do the same. I did it
for the better IDE and the sources. And one can do a lot with D5 and D6
too.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Giving birth is like taking your lower lip and forcing it over

Re: How much does Delphi 05 cost?

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
mrDelphi4ever writes:
>How much does Delphi 05 Professional cost?
tinyurl.com/433uq
I will likely skip it this time as well but does anyone know if D5 Pro
qualifies for a D2005Pro upgrade pricing? Couldn't find any info on the
site.

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Not entirely true. Before my TeamB time, I didn't buy Standard, but
Pro instead.
So did I.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>Not entirely true. Before my TeamB time, I didn't buy Standard, but
>Pro instead.

So did I.
Were you a hobbyist then?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"A model is done when nothing else can be taken out." -- Dyson

Re: How much does Delphi 05 cost?

Well,
I just find an interesting project to do for someone and then charge them
enought o get the version upgrade I need. I started out chargin $20/hr, now
I charge $50/hr. My rule is simple, if it costs $70/hr to get your car
fixed, the a business owner will gladly pay that much an hour to get their
business fixed. That is how did it for D1 to D2 and since then I have
been doing small programs for businesses that get referred to me by he prior
happy customer. Delphi has enabled me to roll out quick programmed
solutions when my customers thought it would be too expensive.
I have also been amazed at the $$$ people pay for the simplest of MS Access
db's. A couple of forms, reports and two tables for $2,000 or 3,000
dollars.
I still do most of my development with Delphi 5. I do have Delphi 7 Pro that I am
using with Intraweb and some small apps and will up[grade my SA (purch with
D7&8 upgrade) to get the new D2005.
- Lou
p.s. soon I may be looking for a Delphi programmer to help me with an
existing project. I have been developing. I will supply as part of payment a
copy of latest Delphi Pro. First problem I need to solve is how to break up
code for piecemeal work so I protect my intelectual property. Otherwise, my
only choice is hire a "programmer consultant" or find a hobbyist I can
develop a trust with.
"Israel Raj T" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
mrDelphi4ever writes:

>How much does Delphi 05 Professional cost?

tinyurl.com/433uq

Will Delphi 7 pro qualify for the $399 upgrade?