Re: Can I sell my Delphi 8 Architect?

2004-11-20 01:31:26 AM
delphi31
"William Meyer" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:419e2a8c$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
Sounds good. Where is "here"?
Amarillo TX. Not the best place to be if you want to be in the IT
industry. I think if you're outside city limits there are even fewer
restrictions.
--
Iman

Re: Can I sell my Delphi 8 Architect?

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
<snip>
< or tear anything down, say a tree, lately?
Who really owns your property?
Serves you right for living in TO. <g>
Move up here Wayne, then I can finally join a Delphi Users group instead
of a Delphi User Group.
Bill

Re: Can I sell my Delphi 8 Architect?

William Meyer writes:
The license
model has been so pervasive, and the legal issues are so extensively
defined, that people tend simply to fall into line, and that is not
exactly my notion of freedom.
"Choosing freely to fall in line" is freedom. You just don't like that
way it plays out. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: Can I sell my Delphi 8 Architect?

Iman L Crawford writes:
No I think there should be an explicit difference between and license
and a sale. If you license something you get a signed contract and
everyone knows the terms up front.
I think that people should be free to enter into a licensing agreement
on terms that are mutually agreeable to both parties. I think that
you, and the government, shouldn't be able to dictate such terms.
Yawn. You think it is fine to break the law for financial gain. Like
I said my boys will be by to sell you something you can not refuse.
That, of course, is a huge big pile of baloney, and an insulting one at
that.
I could argue you believe in companies ignore laws and sell things
illegaly. Maybe the child {*word*40} industry should not be restricted at
all? <- that is about sums up the simplicity of your argument.
You have made a marvelously perfect strawman argument.
--

On 11/19/04, Nick Hodges [TeamB] said:
"Choosing freely to fall in line" is freedom. You just don't like
that way it plays out. ;-)
Of a mindless sort ;) I think the current model has warts, and bears
consideration, that is all.
--
Bill
--------

William Meyer writes:
I think the current model has warts, and bears
consideration, that is all.
As long at that consideration has nothing to do with government
dicatorially determining how and under what terms I can sell or license
my property, I am in complete agreement.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re: Can I sell my Delphi 8 Architect?

Under the current license, as I understand it (IANAL), each owner of a
license must -- at some time -- have purchased a license other than
through the upgrade path. Upgrades are than essentially extensions of
that one original license. Therefore, to sell D5, for example, would
require selling (or destroying) the other versions to which the seller
has held license.
I'll read my Delphi 8 upgrade license again, but I didn't catch any of this
qualification or termination language the last time I read it.
John

Bill Mogk writes:

Serves you right for living in TO. <g>

Move up here Wayne, then I can finally join a Delphi Users group
instead of a Delphi User Group.
Naw, it gets cold enough for me here, I wouldn't be able to stand the 2
weeks of summer you get up there. <g>
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can
stand by itself." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Can I sell my Delphi 8 Architect?

Brion L. Webster writes:
You'd completely obscure the box, and you'd probably need a
refrigerator-sized carton!
A booklet would do, too. See JFN's posting.
Since the carton contains 99% air anyway (they seem to think
that nobody needs a manual) they might re-design the box as
well....
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address.

Re: Can I sell my Delphi 8 Architect?

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
... or better yet -- What, exactly, is the problem with selling a
license?
A product can be sold for perpetuity. A licence has a
limited duration (lifespan of the licensee at best) so
it's only renting, really.
--

Arthur Hoornweg writes:
A licence has a
limited duration (lifespan of the licensee at best) so
it's only renting, really.
I believe that the license you get from Borland is granted in
perpetuity.
--

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
I believe that the license you get from Borland is granted in
perpetuity.
But a problem arises if the licensee ceases to exist
(either as a legal person or as a physical person).
If a company goes bankrupt and its assets pass on to
a different company, somehow ownership of these licenses
has to be passed on, especially if the new owner wants
to be eligible for updates etc.