Re: Delphi 7 update

2004-11-24 04:12:07 PM
delphi272
Eric Grange writes:
I heartily suggest you (and whoever edicted that rule) to get a web
security crash course ASAP, edicting such a rule on banning URLs
and mixing it up with keys sharing indicates a misunderstanding
of basic security concepts.
They have a phrase for that-- "security through obscurity". I would hardly
call hidden FTP directories the benchmark by which other forms of
security should be measured.
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

Re: Delphi 7 update

No, it isn't. Nothing physically prevents you from posting passwords or
license keys. And yet it is not okay, or allowed.
I heartily suggest you (and whoever edicted that rule) to get a web
security crash course ASAP, edicting such a rule on banning URLs
and mixing it up with keys sharing indicates a misunderstanding
of basic security concepts.
Eric

Re: Delphi 7 update

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
This is not about security.
Then why is it hidden in a way that whomever did it seemed to think it
was "secure"?
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

Re: Delphi 7 update

Lauchlan M writes:
I have no idea about whether posting the link or not is allowed.
Now you do.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"I have six locks on my door, all in a row. When I go out, I lock

Re: Delphi 7 update

Eric Grange writes:
>No, it isn't. Nothing physically prevents you from posting
>passwords or license keys. And yet it is not okay, or allowed.

I heartily suggest you (and whoever edicted that rule) to get a web
security crash course ASAP
Why? Borland doesn't like them to be posted, since people might be
confused about what is happening, not because the servers are not
secure.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which

Re: Delphi 7 update

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
They have a phrase for that-- "security through obscurity". I'd
hardly call hidden FTP directories the benchmark by which other forms
of security should be measured.
This is not about security.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Ask her to wait a moment - I am almost done."
-- Carl Friedrich Gauss (1777-1855), while working, when informed that
his wife is dying

Re: Delphi 7 update

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>This is not about security.

Then why is it hidden in a way that whomever did it seemed to think it
was "secure"?
It is secure. But they want you to take the path they set out for you.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."

Re: Delphi 7 update

It is secure. But they want you to take the path they set out for you.
There is a concept named 'redirection' for that, it is an automated
way to enforce such things without requiring any manual intervention
on Borland forums, and it would even works for URLs posted outside
the Borland forums (unbelievably advanced technology, isn't it?).
Eric

Re: Delphi 7 update

Why? Borland doesn't like them to be posted, since people might be
confused about what is happening, not because the servers are not
secure.
Use redirection then. Requires no manual newsgroup moderation,
works for unmoderated posts, and requires less keystroke to setup
than you had to use to try justifying it.
Eric

Re: Delphi 7 update

Eric Grange writes:
>It is secure. But they want you to take the path they set out for
>you.

There is a concept named 'redirection' for that
On FTP? Oh well, not my problem.
If you don't like the way this is handled, complain to Borland. I just
know they don't like these direct URLs to be posted.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting

Re: Delphi 7 update

Eric Grange writes:
>Why? Borland doesn't like them to be posted, since people might be
>confused about what is happening, not because the servers are not
>secure.

Use redirection then.
I don't use anything.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"I'm not into working out. My philosophy: No pain, no pain."

Re: Delphi 7 update

On FTP? Oh well, not my problem.
In HTTP, this protocol has come a long way you know,
and now supplanted FTP for downloads in many cases ;)
There is at least half a dozen a way to make redirections work,
and since Borland automatically brings up the BDN login, they
already use one of them.
Oh well, not my problem.
It is yours more than mine, as you're the one having to do
the cancellation and moderation work that shouldn't be required.
Eric

Re: Delphi 7 update

Eric Grange writes:
It is yours more than mine, as you're the one having to do the
cancellation and moderation work that shouldn't be required.
Some people just love this kind of "work", where have you been - under a
stone?
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Delphi 7 update

Some people just love this kind of "work", where have you been
- under a stone?
hehe :)
Eric

Re: Delphi 7 update