Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

2005-01-29 03:49:48 AM
delphi188
Johnnie Norsworthy writes:
Buy a car, drive it around the block, engine dies when you pull in the
garage.
Well you were about to kill it anyway, so...? <eg>
--
Ben

Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Lars Grxtteland writes:

>Could the Together be removed?

First, please watch your overquoting.

Seconde, here are the instructions for removing the modeling stuff
which should show a marked increase in performance for the IDE.

distribucon.com/blog/archive/2004/12/28/371.aspx
Why do people constantly say to remove functionality to make Delphi 2005
usable?
Is there an official Borland statement about certain things you should not
use after you install Delphi 2005?

Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

"Johnnie Norsworthy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>But your report wasn't exactly a convincing sales pitch.

Install Delphi 2005, minimal use, access violation on exit.
I had the AV on exit in Delphi 7 too. It had zero effect on my productivity with
D7. BTW, I had an AV when I was opening a package too, but it seemed to have
no effect on anything. That too is just like D7, in my experience.

Buy a car, drive it around the block, engine dies when you pull in the
garage.
More like the engine dies after making an odd noise when you switch off the
car. I would have no problem with a car whose sole problem was that the engine
died when I turned it off.

Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

"Johnnie Norsworthy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Why do people constantly say to remove functionality to make Delphi 2005
usable?
Together seems to be the source of much mischief.

Is there an official Borland statement about certain things you should not
use after you install Delphi 2005?
I doubt that will ever be forthcoming. Given what Borland spent to acquire
Together I am more inclined to think they are trying to figure out how to
make it work better, hoping that they can release a patch that will render
Together a useable part of the IDE. I can not see them recommending that
people remove such an expensive (to Borland) part of their product.
I don't know what good Together is doing in the Architect and Enterprise
versions, but in Pro I have zero use for that Model View. I find it totally
redundant. If it is the sole cause of my RAM consumption problem, then out
it goes.

Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

Holger Flick writes:
Because the hardware requirements rise quite a lot for the ability to
create a UML model of your code. (Just speaking from the Pro SKU point
of view, which cannot do anything more Model-wise)
Then maybe Borland should provide options for turning off things like
that. Although I really like JED's config app I think it defeats the
purpose.
BTW, on 3GHz Hyperthreading P4 with 1Gig RAM I find D2005 unusable with
reasonably large projects (300K lines). So what would be minimum
requirements?
Holger

Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

"Dejan Stankovic" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
BTW, on 3GHz Hyperthreading P4 with 1Gig RAM I find D2005 unusable with
reasonably large projects (300K lines).
Hmm.. same PC configurtion. Project with>100 Forms and Frames,
150 pas files, ~600000 lines.
I've disabled all unnecessary packages.
Now the speed is almost Ok. Change units in
design mode 0.5 - 0.8 sec, in code mode very fast.
But the Crashes,.....

Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
You can (and should) disable this:

distribucon.com/blog/archive/2004/12/28/371.aspx
Wow. That seems to have made all the difference in the world. The
sluggishness disappeared completely. And so far, an hour and a half into it,
I haven't seen a single error from the IDE. Will be nice if this state of
nirvana persists. I am installing all the third-party components I need, will
report back when I am done.

Johnnie Norsworthy writes:
Why do people constantly say to remove functionality to make Delphi
2005 usable?
Because it is true. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Joachim Römke writes:
I've disabled all unnecessary packages.
Now the speed is almost Ok. Change units in design mode 0.5 - 0.8 sec,
in code mode very fast.
But the Crashes,.....
Well, I am happy for you. Maybe for next Delphi release somebody will
come up with a complete uninstaller ;) That way you will achieve total
speed, for just a little bit of money.<vbg>
Dejan

Dejan Stankovic writes:
Well, I am happy for you. Maybe for next Delphi release somebody will
come up with a complete uninstaller ;) That way you will achieve total
speed, for just a little bit of money.<vbg>
Id certainly say that I have been using JEDs Delphi Config Manager, and
if you put in it the Delphi32 with refactoring - as win32 is my only
area of interest at the moment.. It is much much much faster, instead
of 10s+ to swap between forms on a 2hgz with 1gb memory, its now maybe
1 or 2. Mine hasnt crashed out on me yet either.

Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

"Dennis Landi" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i melding

You're not wrong. Jake's confusing "Java" with the J# assemblies needed
for
some of the .NET packages the IDE is using.

I believe the J# assemblies are just a prerequisite of the .Net framework
SDK and not used by D2005 at all. I still might be wrong though.
Best Regards,
Tom Reiertsen.

Tom Reiertsen writes:
I believe the J# assemblies are just a prerequisite of the .Net
framework SDK and not used by D2005 at all. I still might be wrong
though.
No, the .Net SDK doesn't require the J# stuff, the IDE does.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re: Delphi 2005-A few quick notes

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i melding

No, the .Net SDK doesn't require the J# stuff, the IDE does.

Ok, so I was wrong. I still got 50% right :)
I thought I had read it somewhere.
Best Regards,
Tom Reiertsen

Tom Reiertsen writes:
Ok, so I was wrong. I still got 50% right :)
I thought I had read it somewhere.
It's the Together stuff that we've all be disabling that uses it. ;-)
--

John Jacobson writes:
I don't know what good Together is doing in the Architect and
Enterprise versions
The ECO modelling surface is powered by Together, so for Architect
users interested in ECO, disabling Together support isn't really an
option (unless they want to purchase a 3rd party replacement).
--
Cheers,
David Clegg