Re: Delphi and Mac Mini

2005-02-04 06:32:00 AM
delphi281
"Kevin Berry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I cannot believe that you haven't encountered that many problems with
Windows. I have had to deal with plenty of BSODs in the past where hard
drives have been corrupted etc. and I have had to do a fresh install to
fix them. And on many different systems at work and home: Dell boxes,
custom-built systems, etc. I have dealt with so many bizarre issues with
the Windows 9x generation of systems: files disappearing for no reason
requiring a re-install. Installing apps that have trashed systems to
the point that you have to re-install. Spyware, phishing, viruses, etc.
on other user's systems at work and I have had to help them out and spend
full days recovering systems. Maybe I have just been using Windows too
long... I am ready for a change.
Well, of course the initial Windows 95 and 98 were not all that perfect
and I do get my fair share of BSODs with those. Since moving to XP,
it does seems a lot smoother and probably I do not quite do more that
the norm and I do not have that much of programs running on my systems
so probably do not have my fair share of issues.
In fact, I am on my 2nd Windows XP laptops and have never had to
reinstall once. Booting up were no issues.
I don't know but on the Mac, I pretty much following through from
Mac OS 9 to OS X and although the new interface looks nice, it is
far from perfect. It is sluggish at times and out of sudden, you do get
that color spinning wheel showing up which freezes the screen. I
supposed it is doing something in the background.
It's been over a week now and I am still battling the system to get
it to install to the latest Mac OS X 10.3, each time is a new experience
with new problems.
Edwin

Re: Delphi and Mac Mini

"Anders Isaksson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Telling beforehand what the next version will contain, or what the next
product will be able to do, will almost certainly push some presumptive
customers into "I'll wait for the next version, then" mode, instead of
buying the current version, now.
I'm not sure it works quite that way. With a somewhat successfull product,
there's always going to be a bigger and better version down the road.
Playing the waiting game can be done without a roadmap. E.g. when buying a
digital camera, it is easy to predict that most announcements will be made
during PMA or Photokina. But if you want to take pictures _now_, then
waiting for the next improved version will seldom pay off. A professional
photographer can of course lose money that way.
Add to that: Borland has a 90-day return policy (unless that policy has been
discontinued).
Last year someone asked me if Kylix was a viable tool for Linux. And I had
to tell them that I simply don't know. There's no roadmap available for
Kylix, so for all I know it has been discontinued. That answer meant a lost
sale right there and then. Same thing applies to Delphi: I can not recommend
it, because I have no idea what path Borland will follow.
If we get another release containing the same features of D7+D8, then I
don't see any point in upgrading. Recommending MS' tools is a safe bet,
because although the quality of MS tools is bad, atleast you can target any
MS platform one way or another.
In other words: A roadmap would go a long way in helping me (and others I'm
sure) advocate Delphi.
--
Rune

Re: Delphi and Mac Mini

Rune Moberg writes:
because although the quality of MS tools is bad
Which in particular is bad?
And we are now talking about 2005.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Delphi and Mac Mini

Rune Moberg writes:
Same thing applies to Delphi: I can not recommend
it, because I have no idea what path Borland will follow.
I think it is quite unfair that the answer for Kylix and for Delphi are
the same. Kylix's future is obviously unclear, but Delphi's future
obviously is not. To say that you don't know what Delphi's future is
is a bit disingenuous. You do know that Borland is actively working on
the product and plans to update it for .Net 2.0.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: Delphi and Mac Mini

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
is a bit disingenuous. You do know that Borland is actively working on
the product and plans to update it for .Net 2.0.
Doesn't really concern me personally that much.
It's just another .Net version. If keeping up with MS' .Net platform steals
away all development time for the next Delphi version, then that would be
some serious food for thought. Atleast for me.
--
Rune

Re: Delphi and Mac Mini

Rune Moberg writes:
Doesn't really concern me personally that much.
Apparently not.
--

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:45:27 +0100, "Rune Moberg" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:
I'm not sure it works quite that way. With a somewhat successfull product,
there's always going to be a bigger and better version down the road.
and
Last year someone asked me if Kylix was a viable tool for Linux. And I had
to tell them that I simply don't know. There's no roadmap available for
Kylix, so for all I know it has been discontinued. That answer meant a lost
sale right there and then. Same thing applies to Delphi: I can not recommend
it, because I have no idea what path Borland will follow.
You are argumenting against yourself here. if "With a somewhat
successfull product, there's always going to be a bigger and better
version down the road" is true, it is definitely true for Delphi, which
must be categorized as (at least) "a somewhat successfull product".
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Delphi and Mac Mini

"Anders Isaksson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
version down the road" is true, it is definitely true for Delphi, which
must be categorized as (at least) "a somewhat successfull product".
The latest version of Delphi? Successful? Not in my book. I thought I was an
early adopter kind of guy, but for the latest additional license we
purchased, I first tried to obtain a Delphi 7 license (you can not btw... atleast
not in Norway - D2005 is what's on the shelves).
I am not at all convinced that the next major Delphi version is going to be
of much interest to me. Borland has been able to provide pleasant surprises
with releases in the past, but I can not make recommendations based on
previous pleasant surprises. A rough roadmap OTOH would help immensely (even
one delivered as illegible handwriting on a dirty napkin would be nice).
IMO, you have to create some industry buzz. If you only manage to wow a
small dedicated crowd, then I don't see how you can qualify that as
successful.
--
Rune

Re: Delphi and Mac Mini

Rune Moberg writes:
If you only manage to wow a small dedicated crowd, then I
don't see how you can qualify that as successful.
If you're looking at it is success (or perceived lack thereof) from your
personal viewpoint only, I don't see how you can qualify its success
(or lack of) at all.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]