Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

2005-05-03 08:46:00 AM
delphi249
RemObjects SDK and Data Abstract
*RemObjects SDK 3.0*
The flexible Remoting Framework for Delphi, Kylix and .NET
*Data Abstract 3.0*
The powerful RAD multi-tier solution.
Presenter
=========
Alessarndro Federici
*DATE:* Wednesday May 4th, 2005
*TIME:* 7:00 - 10:00
*WHERE:* Inter-American Development Bank
As usual, we will have an informal get together at the Shops Eatery downtown
DC (ba{*word*224}t of the National Theater building) before the meeting ( starting
approx. 6:00 ). EATERY TEMPORARILY CLOSED. MEET AT THE
*CORNER BAKERY* AT THE OTHER END OF THE BUILDING.
www.cpcug.org/user/delphi/index.html
June 1st Meeting: Nexus DB
July No Meeting
Aug 3rd Meeting: Math Scripting Components
Sept 7th Meeting: Presentation from Borland
If you see your topic listed, please contact me to verify the
date is OK. Also, please get me an abstract a couple of
weeks before the meeting. Thanks.
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

Is this really of global interest?

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

Why is remObjects post coming in Delphi group specially when all important
discussions in remobject forum is open only to members in Remobjects Private
group..
They want to have the cake & eat it too.
Venkatesh
"Thomas Miller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[...]

First, RO did not post here. Thomas Miller did on behalf of the Washington
Delphi Users Group.
Secondly, I have access to read 'private RO groups' and I can tell you there
are no secret discussions going on. it is basically people discussing
technical RO/DA issues, and feature requests. it is much the same as for
example the prvate ng for TRichView Delphi Developers. You might as well
forget the {*word*97} theories for RO! <g>
Although, just to keep your {*word*97} theory options opened, I haven't been
checking the chrome ng's . . . maybe there's lots of {*word*97} going on in
private there! <g>
But if you feel you are missing out on discussion in the RO groups, feel
free to ask any questions you may have on the RO public groups, or if you
want to purchase a membership ticket (an RO subscription), to join in on the
RO private and beta ng's.
HTH!
Regards
Lauchlan Mackinnon [Team RO]

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

Is this really of global interest?
Nothing in here is of global interest in a first place.
Also if you care to look at the subject you would notice
that it is for Delphi User group, posted by RO's and
therefore Borland's customer (not RO itself) and from my
POV is relevant.
Also take a look at "Toronto User Group meeting tonight"
post which is basically of the same category and lists following
topics:
<q>
Topic 1: The real issues of designing, building and optimizing a database
Speaker: Michael Lant
Topic 2: Google Maps in Delphi
Speaker: Ted Nye
</q>
This is far from being of "global interest" but I do not
see you complaining about that one.
May be the fact of RO releasing Chrome bothers some people
here to the degree that they start complaining about any post
related to RO even though their products do benefit Borland's
bottom line.
Kostya

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

I have gone through RemObjects forum & found that the forum is highly
critical of any one asking/saying things against Remobjets.Then a private
group was formed(I don't know for what purpose).Some of the moderators were
also highly critical of delphi .
With such a back ground, it is indeed surprising that Remobject news is
published in Delphi groups.
(By the way tThomas Miller's post is not posted in the Remobjects group).
I am not suggesting any thing about a {*word*97}.
I just pointed out an oddity & nothing more
Venkatesh
"Lauchlan M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Why is remObjects post coming in Delphi group specially when all
important
>discussions in remobject forum is open only to members in Remobjects
Private
>group..
>They want to have the cake & eat it too.

Venkatesh,

First, RO did not post here. Thomas Miller did on behalf of the Washington
Delphi Users Group.

Secondly, I have access to read 'private RO groups' and I can tell you
there
are no secret discussions going on. it is basically people discussing
technical RO/DA issues, and feature requests. it is much the same as for
example the prvate ng for TRichView Delphi Developers. You might as well
forget the {*word*97} theories for RO! <g>

Although, just to keep your {*word*97} theory options opened, I haven't
been
checking the chrome ng's . . . maybe there's lots of {*word*97} going on
in
private there! <g>

But if you feel you are missing out on discussion in the RO groups, feel
free to ask any questions you may have on the RO public groups, or if you
want to purchase a membership ticket (an RO subscription), to join in on
the
RO private and beta ng's.

HTH!

Regards

Lauchlan Mackinnon [Team RO]

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

I have gone through RemObjects forum
Which newgroup(s) have you visited?
& found that the forum is highly
critical of any one asking/saying things against Remobjets.
I have not experienced this.
But, like I say, I have not spent time on the Chrome newsgroups. I gather
however that these are more 'politically' volatile.
Then a private
group was formed(I don't know for what purpose).
There have been private newsgroups for pretty much as long as RO have had
newsgroups. it is not a new phenomenon.
Some of the moderators were
also highly critical of delphi .
Well, I guess they could if they wanted say what they like on their own
newsgroups (which is not to agree that they criticise Delphi). Obviously the
people at RO have a strong sense of direction, and presumably at times -
like the rest of us - feel some frustration at some of Borland's directions.
I think the whole RO company was formed with a vision to do remoting and
n-tier in a way that the founders of RO felt Borland was not doing at the
time, and I think this has been highly appreciated by the Delphi community.
But I don't think it is fair to say that "the moderators [of RO newsgroups]
were highly critical of Delphi." That has not been the case on any RO
newsgroups - public or private - that I have been visiting. In my experience
they are focused on getting on with the job.
With such a back ground, it is indeed surprising that Remobject news is
published in Delphi groups.
Anyone can post what they like here as long as they follow the newsgroup
guidelines. Why are you surpised? The post was about a Delphi User Group
meeting. You think it should be cancelled just because a company - that
happens to make excellent Delphi third party products - is speaking at the
event? That strikes me as bizarre.
I am not suggesting any thing about a {*word*97}.
I just pointed out an oddity & nothing more
But it is not an oddity. What was odd was, as Robert pointed out, that this
local Washington DC Delphi users group (and the Toronto one) were being
advertised globally on this ng. I'd have expected that they would have
used local email lists.
By the way, I should emphasise that I am speaking for myself here, not for
RO. I am a member of Team RO and I specifically diclose this here because it
seems relevant.
Regards,
Lauchlan Mackinnon [Team RO]

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

VT,
Why is remObjects post coming in Delphi group specially when all important
discussions in remobject forum is open only to members in Remobjects
Private
group..
What are you talking about?
--
marc hoffman
Chief Architect, .NET

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

Why is remObjects post coming in Delphi group specially when all important
discussions in remobject forum is open only to members in Remobjects Private
group..
They want to have the cake & eat it too.
The post did not come from the member of RO in a first place.
Also RO does have public groups where you are free to brag your
guts out as much as you like. So I think you are totally
unjust here
Kostya

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

VT,
since i replied to you on this topic several times, I will spare the general
"how we're still very much committed to supporting our Delphi customers"
speach this time; it'll be in my previous replies (and obvious to all of our
customers, anyway), for reference.
I have gone through RemObjects forum & found that the forum is highly
critical of any one asking/saying things against RemObjects.
That's not true. By /definition/, posts in support newsgroups are going to
be from people having problems with products on one level or another, so
saying we're not alowing criticism or complaints would mean we'd close down
the entire newsgroups.
What we do not tolerate is people coming in and posting stuff like "oooh,
you guys suck, why don't you go .com yourself", or impersonating RO
personnel and saying "yes we know our stuff sucks".
Then a private
group was formed(I don't know for what purpose).
Yes, we create new private groups all the time: for our beta programs. Ymmv,
but as far as i can see, having private newsgroups for betas is pretty
common in this industry; i certainly can not see the next version of Delphi
being discussed and tested here in Borland's public groups.
Some of the moderators were also highly critical of Delphi.
So what? You're saying that as a vendor of Delphi tools & components i'm
obligated to lie to my customers about my experiences with recent Delphi
versions? Who is that supposed to benefit? certainly not my customers.
--
marc hoffman
Chief Architect, .NET
RemObjects Software
www.chromesville.com
Join the Object Pascal Revolution - Get Chrome now!

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

Hello Kostya
I do not want to get into a word duel here.See the other posts by RO members
in this thread & you will get the picture
I am sorry if you have felt I am unjust
Venkatesh
"Kostya" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Why is remObjects post coming in Delphi group specially when all
important
>discussions in remobject forum is open only to members in Remobjects
Private
>group..
>They want to have the cake & eat it too.

The post did not come from the member of RO in a first place.
Also RO does have public groups where you are free to brag your
guts out as much as you like. So I think you are totally
unjust here

Kostya

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

VT Venkatesh <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Why is remObjects post coming in Delphi group
Well, they didn't, Thomas Miller did, and he was discussing a "Delphi User
Group". Even if someone from RemObjects had made the post, that doesn't make
it off-topic here all by itself. RemObjects sells several Delphi compatible
products, and the products being discussed at the DC users group meeting
appear to be two such products. So I fail to see the problem with this
thread.
Nevertheless, I do understand why the topic of RemObjects raises such ire,
given the public statements marc has been prone to make about Borland and
Delphi. He is definitely not helping RO cultivate the kind of good will that
would help increase sales of their Delphi products.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.564

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

marc hoffman <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<42774e9b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>I have gone through RemObjects forum & found that the forum is highly
>critical of any one asking/saying things against RemObjects.

What we do not tolerate is people coming in and posting stuff like "oooh,
you guys suck, why don't you go .com yourself", or impersonating RO
personnel and saying "yes we know our stuff sucks".
I beg to differ. You also do not seem to tolerate people consistently and
persistently expressing their doubts about whether there is really a market
for a specific RemObjects product. There is a big difference between saying
that a product sucks and saying that there will probably be no market for it,
but you seemed to have totally missed that distinction when it was decided to
un-invite me from your newsgroups and threaten to cancel any further posts
where I express such doubts.
Methinks thou doth protest too much.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.564

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

Lauchlan M <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
But I don't think it is fair to say that "the moderators [of RO newsgroups]
were highly critical of Delphi." That has not been the case on any RO
newsgroups - public or private - that I have been visiting.
Marc Hoffman has made several highly critical statements about Delphi on the
public RO newsgroups. I have no idea how you could have missed them unless
you are not reading every post.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.564

Re:Washington DC Delphi Users Group, Wed May 4th

Captain,
Nevertheless, I do understand why the topic of RemObjects raises such ire,
given the public statements marc has been prone to make about Borland and
Delphi. He is definitely not helping RO cultivate the kind of good will
that
would help increase sales of their Delphi products.
Please see my reply to VT for a more detailed reply. I fail to see how this
is the case; in my opinion, our customers are far better served by being
told the truth when asked about our experiences about certain versions of
Delphi (or any other product that our products interact with, really), then
by being lied to and told that Delphi 2005 is, ioho, the best thing since
grilled cheese.
Delphi 7 has been and will be the best tool for developing Win32
application, and when people ask my opinion, i will tell them that. Delphi
2005 has been unusable for me in all my attempts, and when customers (or
people in general) ask me "oh btw, do you recommend upgrading to Delphi
2005?" i will tell them the truth, which is "No", and if they ask why, i'll
tell them why. Anything else would be dishonest. If Delphi 2006 turns out to
be a great product (and i sure hope so), I will have no problems endorsing it,
again.
By doing this, I am not biased against Borland or Delphi (if i were, i
wouldn't be recommending Delphi 7 to people; i wouldn't have been a Delphi
user for 10+ years now, and i certainly wouldn't have co-founded a company
that sells third party products for Delphi). I am just being honest to my
customers, who rely on the information they get from me. If i sell them on a
product i am not convinced is good, and they'll get burned by it, it will
fall back on me. and /that/ would not be helping RO.
In summary, yes, it surely might be possible that a few people will take
"offense" at me speaking my mind and will thus decide to not use RO
products; what those people are concerned, i might have done a "disservice"
to RO (if we go by sheer $/month value) as it lost us a couple of sales. But
the majority of our customers, I'd think, will be happy they get honest
information instead of sugar-coated marketing responses tailored to make
everybody look happy.
But that is just my opinion, of course.