Re: Who would you make CEO?

2005-07-10 12:43:22 AM
delphi64
In article <42cf03e0$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
Ingvar Nilsen <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Heh, you do know how old I am? <g>
You've got some 'splainin' to do!
--
-David

Re: Who would you make CEO?

Ingvar Nilsen <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
According to statistics, companies with horizontal command lines and
where the boss has the same desktop size as everyone else, are the most
successful.
I wonder what Bill Gates' office looks like.
--
Everything in this post is mere opinion.
It might be very well formed opinion based

Re: Who would you make CEO?

I wonder what Bill Gates' office looks like.
Microsoft's Channel 9 [1] has a video interview with Steve Ballmer in
his office. Looks like a pretty normal office to me, though it appears
to be a bit bigger than your regular cubicle.
Steve
[1] channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx

Re: Who would you make CEO?

Bob Swart writes:
Hi Don,

>But how much would its' developers like being relegated to the same level
>as FoxPro?

FoxPro? No, I was rather thinking of the level of ADO.NET, SQL Server
2005, ASP.NET and SharePoint
SharePoint? what a load of {*word*99}ola..
Sharepoint looks like something a kindergarten developer would make..
Your slipping Bob :)

Re: Who would you make CEO?

Ralf Mimoun writes:
>- fighting Eclipse on Java side,

Not smart, IMHO.. Hard to beat free and Eclipse has a huge community of free
plugins.
>>- retry on Linux32/64,

Hm. I don't see a desktop market for Linux. I hear it since a decade or
so, but I don't see it. And the rest? Why should someone use Kylix now
when they did not like it years ago?

You haven't been looking very much then.
Linux has already surpassed Mac in Desktop OS arena. Foreign countries (like
China with 1/3 of worlds population), is going to Linux Servers and
Desktop. So, I might add, is Germany, France, Korea, etc.
>- success in Mono field and open source

Where is the money? Open Source is to 90% C. Not even C++, plain, simple,
somtimes very bad C.
You obviously have never heard of The Apache Group, Perl/Python, Eclipse, or
JBoss.
Do not confuse the Linux kernel development with the whole of Open Source.
All of the above are OPEN SOURCE, and they do not confine themselves to
just Linux, nor to C.
Actually many Open Source projects and products have nothing to do with
C/C++. It is true, that the overwhelming majority of kernel or GDI type
development is C/C++ based, as well as device drivers.
For a good reason, I might add. C and C++ are well suited to this type of
development and have massive support libraries for this level of
development.
If this were not true, then why does Windows, Linux, Unix and derivatives as
well as many parts of OS400 and OS390 use C for the core of their
development?
BTW, open Source code is not BAD either. Most of the designs of Open Source
OS code had their beginnings in System 5 Unix core. Not Linux (which is a
clone of Unix), but Solaris, BSD flavors, etc. Linux C core is not bad
either. I'd bet ya better than most of the Windows core (though we
could never prove it due to the closed nature of Windows :) ).
And Mono is not a market yet, and I can not see any
hint that it will become one.

I probably agree with you here, but who knows the future?

Re: Who would you make CEO?

but to keep Dan happy: if made CEO I will set up /maintain a workgroup
to investigate the best possible transitition paths for developer from
VB / VB.NET to Borland products.
Just hire Dan and give him some resources to make it happen. ;)
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.brainendeavor.com

Re: Who would you make CEO?

OK! I am voting for you as CEO
"Lauchlan M" <LMackinnonAT_NoSpam_ozemailDOTcomDOTau>writes
>I would make myself CEO and make darn sure they backport fixes to
>Delphi 2005....

You need a better plan than that! <g>

If they make me the CEO, I promise to

(i) improve QA by

- incorporating an expanded EurekaLog type tool in Delphi, JBuilder etc
that
scans the hard drive for additional technical information like which .net
framework is installed, which versions of Delphi installed, etc, and
integrates this information over email or a web service into Borland's QA
repository so this info can be cross-referenced with type of bug and
frequency of occurence. ie, emphasise on building up a QA data repository
bug/problem description cross-correlated with system information

- committing resources so Borland management regard Quality Central more
than a hobby project of John Kasters, ie commit resources for proper
development and maintenance of QA tools

- continuing with implementation of CMMI processes (TeraQuest acquisition)

- continue strategic acquistions for SDO life cycle, focusing on automated
testing tools/companies, and using the tools acquired

(ii) improve marketing by

- conducting an extensive review of what currently works and what doesn't
and building a competitive marketing culture for the future

- maintain the present emphasis on the Enterprise with SDO and process
management and MDA but also

- refocus on the entry level 'pipeline' of students, hobbyists, and sole
developers / small companies

- investigate ways to assist moving people up the pipeline, for example by
assisting with links to venture capital, providing template assistance
with
legal documents (NDAs, licence agreements etc), building connections /
relationships with worldwide distributors for Borland developers to
leverage, etc. Basically making it easier for Borland customers to grow
and
become bigger Borland customers.

(iii) without losing core focuses on development tools or the enterprise,
begin to build up additional expertise in the enterprise level, supporting
automation of various other business processes.

(iv) Delphi product strategy: while maintaining .net product support, very
seriously examine the possibility of a rewrite of the Win32 VCL to a
native
Win64 unicode compliant VCL with increased RTTI, where Borland can
innovate
and leverage its own framework(s) independently of what MS does. Ideally
make this language neutral (people can plugin VB, C++, etc as well as OP).

But technical product development is probably the area that needs least
attention from an incoming CEO. QA and marketing would be the big two,
IMO.

I'm available in probably a couple of months or so. I can refer interested
parties to my agent.

Regards,

Lauchlan M

Re: Who would you make CEO?

<chuckle>
I don't think they'd want to hire me. I have been with my own company for too
long. Somebody might get hurt<lol>.
Dan
"Brian Moelk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>but to keep Dan happy: if made CEO I will set up /maintain a workgroup
>to investigate the best possible transitition paths for developer from
>VB / VB.NET to Borland products.

Just hire Dan and give him some resources to make it happen. ;)

--
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.brainendeavor.com

Re: Who would you make CEO?

>- refocus on the entry level 'pipeline' of students, hobbyists, and sole
>developers / small companies
This is so important it is not even funny.
Aside from the push I have been vocal about (on ramp for VB(Visual Basic) users), I've
strongly encouranged the marketeers to look at the pipeline and see how it's
stacked up on an age basis. My bet is that they'd find the current user
base strongly stacked on the high side, and of that user base a very large
percentage of them will say they started young.
Becoming a reasonable option for VB(Visual Basic) users is a relatively short term
objective, but it will also help attract younger folks (more importantly,
the ones the younger folks look up to). All this is something you want to
do in a coordinated way.
Dan

Re: Who would you make CEO?

David Dean writes:
In article <42cf03e0$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
Ingvar Nilsen <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>Heh, you do know how old I am? <g>

You've got some 'splainin' to do!
Perhaps! If I only knew what it is..
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Who would you make CEO?

"Hannes Danzl[NDD]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Kyle A. Miller writes:

>I don't know his performance as CEO, but I like his attitude, John
>Thompson.

Richard Morris. He knows the Delphi market *and* the problems of
Borland inside out, is/was (asfaik) share holder, has a good relation
ship with MS, has a good expertise and record as component provider and
surely shown how to lead a company from small to very successful.

Not sure if he would be interested though ...

A much better idea, would be for DevExpress to buy Delphi from Borland and
be done with it.
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re: Who would you make CEO?

"Bob Swart" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi Kyle,

Bill Gates might be able to buy Borland and lead it into the future (and
I'm not joking, although we'll never see it happen).

Or maybe MS could just buy Delphi for Borland and be done with it.

"Dennis Landi" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Hi Kyle,
>
>Bill Gates might be able to buy Borland and lead it into the future (and
>I'm not joking, although we'll never see it happen).

Or maybe MS could just buy Delphi for Borland and be done with it.
<shudder>
Dan

Re: Who would you make CEO?

Jan Derk <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:42ceb0e5$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
Joel Spolsky
Definitely no. Joel says a lot of good things - but he's very academic on some too. Ill give you an
example.
We used CityDesk for a long time. 1.1 I think it was had 2-3 bugs that REALLY drove users mad.
Source view would{*word*222}up &, etc. So if you had a & in your code, you could never go to source
view... and there were 2-3 like this. EACH was literally a 5 minute fix.
Would Joel patch them? Well sure - in 6 months, becuase he had just released a patch and his
philosophy was that frequent releases were bad, and so it would have to wait for the next patch
which was like 6 months off. So instead of 15 minutes of fixes and patches, we we're all left
haning until enought time had passed for a release to be made that was not too "frequent".
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

Re: Who would you make CEO?

"Angra Mainyu" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
I too am stunned! Over the years I have attached many a face to my
perception of Nick's character but wow, a left-wing pinko hippy sure
wasn't one of them.
Definitely not - Nick policitcally is defintely to the right side - not left.
Blog: blogs.atozed.com/kudzu