Formatted Memo

2005-04-27 06:50:47 AM
delphi244
Hi,
I have to convert a database with formatted memos. They are accessed by a
delphi application (even though some say delphi does not support this field
type). Paradox and the SQL-Explorer of Delphi show FMTMEMO field types. But
even when the .MB file is quite big the FMTMEMO fields are empty.
How can I access them ?
Is there a delphi tool/component that handles paradox fmtmemo fields ?
Thank you
Andy

Re:Formatted Memo

Paradox formatted memos use a proprietary encoding that has never been
published and Delphi has never supported it. Delphi supports standard
RTF for formatting in memos.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Formatted Memo

Thank you Bill,
Very strange that they are used in a Delphi application (or vice vera, that
Paradox identifies them as FMTMEMO fields). The problem is I have to convert
data, but I do not have support from the developer.
I have an old Pdx 7 (tha last one which was really useable...:) which I use
for database handling and converting.
All tables are of format 5. The FMTMEMO fields contain large formatted text
data. At file level there is no readable text, they all look encrypted, but
Paradox shows no password encryption.
Is it possible to store proprietary data in a FMTMEMO field from a Delphi
application ?
Thank you
Andy
"Bill Todd" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Paradox formatted memos use a proprietary encoding that has never been
published and Delphi has never supported it. Delphi supports standard
RTF for formatting in memos.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Formatted Memo

If you can view the contents of the formatted memo fields in Paradox
for Windows 7.0 then they are true Paradox for Windows formatted memo
fields. If not then the fields contain something else. I know of no
reason why you could not put binary data in a Paradox formatted memo
field using a Delphi app, although I have never tried it.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Formatted Memo

Andy,
in my Paradox parser I implemented the feature to extract the plain text
from formatted memo.
You may view in Paradox Viewer (www.scalabium.com/pdx) or in SMImport
suite (www.scalabium.com/smi)
PS: I didn't write the parser for formattings (colors/fonts etc) - only
plain text reader
"Andy O" <->writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

I have to convert a database with formatted memos. They are accessed by a
delphi application (even though some say delphi does not support this
field
type). Paradox and the SQL-Explorer of Delphi show FMTMEMO field types.
But
even when the .MB file is quite big the FMTMEMO fields are empty.

How can I access them ?
Is there a delphi tool/component that handles paradox fmtmemo fields ?

Thank you
Andy

Re:Formatted Memo

Hi all,
I was on the wrong track. Probably because it was too late yesterday, or
because I was convinced they where FMTMEMO fields as Paradox and
SQL-Explorer say. Sometimes it is better to go home instead of searching for
hours the internet...
This morning I found the fields are simple blob fields containing Rich Text.
I am embarrassed.... :)
Thank you again
Andy
"Mike Shkolnik" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Andy,

in my Paradox parser I implemented the feature to extract the plain text
from formatted memo.

You may view in Paradox Viewer (www.scalabium.com/pdx) or in
SMImport
suite (www.scalabium.com/smi)

PS: I didn't write the parser for formattings (colors/fonts etc) - only
plain text reader

--
With best regards, Mike Shkolnik
EMail: XXXX@XXXXX.COM