Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder, InterBase, JDataStore and other developer products...

2006-02-09 05:16:20 AM
delphi166
Pardon me for saying this, but I think it would be better if you posted a
new thread (if you have more questions or ideas) and let this mamooth thread
die. it is a pain in the a** to scroll all the way down to find any the new
posts here.
--
Danijel Tkalcec - Team RTC
www.realthinclient.org

"Rick Carter" writes:
Danijel Tkalcec writes:
>Pardon me for saying this, but I think it would be better if you posted
>a new thread (if you have more questions or ideas) and let this mamooth
>thread die. it is a pain in the a** to scroll all the way down to find any
>the new posts here.

Especially after you added so many nearly identical posts? <g,d,&r>
Exactly! <gg>
--
Danijel Tkalcec - Team RTC
www.realthinclient.org

Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder, InterBase, JDataStore and other developer products...

>And BTW, it is in the best interest of whatever suiter to make sure the
>existing team is well taken care of.. cause what's a codebase like Delphi
>without those that know it?

I take it that you haven't bother to take R&D to CMMI Level 5, because
then everything would be managed and documented in such fashion that human
resources would be fully replaceable. <g>
No. I prefer to adopt a more Agile approach... which is in fact what we're
doing. In the Agile world, code is valued far above a slew of "soon to be
out of date" documents. I subscribe to "Larry the Cable Guy's" mantra of
"Git'er done." ;-) I suppose that is my Missouri roots showing... After
all, Missouri is known as the "Show-me State."
--
Allen Bauer
Delphi/C#Builder/C++Builder Chief Scientist

Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder, InterBase, JDataStore and other developer products...

>Why not a private investment firm? What about VCs? You know they're
>still around and are still keen on dumping large amounts of cash into
>tech.

YES! But then the people of the IDE group should contact these VCs en get
the ball rolling before it is snatcht by someone with a other mindset!

I read the statement of the CEO as an open invitation to ANY buyer. Go get
yourself a 2 weeks exclusieve deal wit management to talk to the VCs
together with Jonh and David I etc!
Of course the invitation is open to any good faith offer. In fact they're
required, AFAIK, to consider each offer. Just like a real-estate agent is
obligated to present *every* offer no matter how outlandish it may be to the
seller. Of course they may recommend one offer over another, but the seller
still has to see it and say "no", counter-offer, or accept.
--
Allen Bauer
Delphi/C#Builder/C++Builder Chief Scientist
Borland Software Corporation.
blogs.borland.com/abauer

Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder, InterBase, JDataStore and other developer products...

Allen Bauer writes:
My take:

blogs.borland.com/abauer/archive/2006/02/08.aspx

Basically, I will gladly relinquish the Borland name for the opportunity to
get better focus, investment, and commitment to Delphi and the other dev
tools I enjoy being a part of.
Is this really going to get us better focus on IDE's?
I don't understand. Most of the 'good' points which people are talking
about comes from moving to a company devoted to making developer tools
rather then with borland that being streched between two core businesses.
But isn't that what we will get? Any company which can afford to BUY
Delphi etc, would have to already HAVE a core business. Which would
make development tools secondary again. Secondary at best. At least
borland saw IDE's as their babies, not those pesky second cousins by
marriage.
The only way that I can see development being the core focus of the NEW
owner of borlands development tools is if that company already IS a
development tools company. Maybe I should list the major companies I
can think of in this area:
Microsoft.
Borland
#sound of crickets#
I am trying, but I can not see how we are going to get anything but a
different master. One that could well care substabtially less about
Delphi (and me) then Borland.
--
Robin.
<disclaimer>Not an expert </disclaimer>

Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder, InterBase, JDataStore and other developer products...

>I am still in shock.. but I probably should have expected this. It makes
>sense. But I think that the new company should also buy the "Borland"
>name. Many (still) get positive associations from "Borland".

Me too. Despite their glossy spin on it, I can not help feeling that it's
the beginning of the end. Borland dev tools were already being used in
fewer and fewer software shops and I feel this will further exacerbate
that trend.
What glossy spin? In fact, IMHO, this is one of the least "spin-ridden"
announcements to come from Borland in ages. It was straight and to the
point, including the reasons and motivations behind the descision. To be
truly "spin" filled, we'd have all the answers and be able to downplay all
the negatives... I don't see that happening. In fact there is so much that
is not known at this point it is amazing to me that we've gone public at this
stage at all. But it is what it is, and I, for one, am e{*word*277}d to be a part
of the change. This allows us (as in the future NewCo) to begin to
establish a very clear, open channel of communication... even when we don't
have all the facts and are still wrestling with the details.
Please read: blogs.borland.com/abauer/archive/2006/02/07/23006.aspx
and blogs.borland.com/abauer/archive/2006/02/08.aspx and
blogs.borland.com/davidi/archive/2006/02/08/23013.aspx and
blogs.borland.com/johnk/archive/2006/02/08/23053.aspx and
blogs.borland.com/DavidLock/archive/2006/02/08/23035.aspx
Oh. BTW, that last one is by a brand new junior member of the BDS R&D team.
David Lock, is a new, bright up-and-coming.
--
Allen Bauer
Delphi/C#Builder/C++Builder Chief Scientist
Borland Software Corporation.
blogs.borland.com/abauer

Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder, InterBase, JDataStore and other developer products...

I read the statement of the CEO as an open invitation to ANY buyer.
As I understand it, with a publicly traded company, that is the only kind
of public statement you can make. I have my suspicion that they already
have someone in mind that might be a "good fit," and the carefully worded
statements about not necessarily accepting the hightest bidder may be
designed so that their favored choice can come out on top.
To those who suggest a big company like Novell, IBM, Oracle, Sun, Corel
(shudder!), or CA (double shudder), I would say that wouldn't put them in any
better position. What they need is to be a small, agile company that can
make quick decisions, and not have their budget tugged away by other
divisions and other products.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

"Tony McGuire" <cng.paradoxcommunity@com>writes:
>My bet is it will be either Sun, IBM, or Oracle.

I'm betting on Google!
I've a friend who codes for Google. He's having to do it in Python. He
would so, so like to be able to return to C++.
Alan Bellingham
--
Team Thai Kingdom
<url:www.borland.com/newsgroups/>Borland newsgroup descriptions

Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder, InterBase, JDataStore and other developer products...

I don't understand. Most of the 'good' points which people are talking
about comes from moving to a company devoted to making developer tools
rather then with borland that being streched between two core businesses.
Of course if all you assume is that some existing entity were to snatch it
up, that is an easy conclusion to make. While that is still possible (I'm
not the final descision maker), I also know that it is possible that a fresh
infusion of investment capital is put in as well. This would form a new,
distinct, private company that can focus on what it does best and not be
distracted other things.
--

Paul writes:
>PLEASE, DO NOT SELL TO MS.

MS as a buyer and Delphi included in VS IDE will be great for me.
That would require Microsoft to desire Delphi to live.
I don't think that is the case.
Unless maybe they keep it as the 'upgrade path' for VB6 users <gd&r>
--

Crazy Horse's crazier little brother writes:
"David Intersimone "David I" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Go Borland. Go New Company. Go Developers!!!

I would like to go on record as offering to purchase the new company. All
employees will get free donuts every morning and free beer every Friday
after work. IT will be mandatory that all employees have a Delphi tattoo.

My opening bid is $1,000.54.

I am not much of a developer yet, but I will add AU$2,000 to it to be a
share holder and I can mow lawns pretty well.
--

Allen Bauer writes:
is not known at this point it is amazing to me that we've gone public at this
stage at all. But it is what it is, and I, for one, am e{*word*277}d to be a part
of the change. This allows us (as in the future NewCo) to begin to
NewCo... "NewCo" ...
Yeah, maybe that could be the new name.
And if you guys revive Kylix we could also call it "GnuCo".
That's the ticket...
Nuko... ?
"Step right up, Get your NUKO 64-BIT TOOLS here!"
And to take a page out of Dubya's phrase book: "When the going gets
tough the tough reach for the "Nukular option" with NUKO 64-bit tools".
-d

Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder, InterBase, JDataStore and other developer products...

David Intersimone "David I writes:
We will have the product brand names - Delphi, JBuilder, InterBase,
C++Builder, the Turbo family, etc. We are focused on developers and
development. Borland will focus on enterprise solutions for Software
Delivery Optimization which includes software development, developers and
the whole application lifecycle.

How can they claim "the whole application lifecycle" when they are
getting rid of the foundation of the application, the actual code? You
can collaborate between various interests all day long, make all sorts
of pretty UML diagrams, but without code, you have no application.

Alan Bellingham writes:
"Tony McGuire" <cng.paradoxcommunity@com>writes:

>>My bet is it will be either Sun, IBM, or Oracle.
>
>I'm betting on Google!

I've a friend who codes for Google. He's having to do it in Python. He
would so, so like to be able to return to C++.

Alan Bellingham
Python's not that bad.
--
Pete Goodwin (C++, Delphi, Python...)