Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

2006-08-22 11:48:46 PM
delphi99
Borland,
If you don't want to allow customers to upgrade Delphi Pro version (prior to
BDS) to Turbo Delphi Pro because it is a "new product line", may be you
could consider a "special offer" for loyal Borland customers like myself. I
have quite a stack of Borland products boxed-up around here since TP 3.
-Johnnie

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

The price, which hasn't been officially announced yet by the way, *is* a
special offer to everybody.
If you don't want to allow customers to upgrade Delphi Pro version (prior to
BDS) to Turbo Delphi Pro because it is a "new product line", may be you
could consider a "special offer" for loyal Borland customers like myself. I
have quite a stack of Borland products boxed-up around here since TP 3.

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

J.,
The price, which hasn't been officially announced yet by the way, *is* a
special offer to everybody.
ROTFL.
--
marc hoffman
Chief Architect

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

The price, which hasn't been officially announced yet by the way, *is* a
special offer to everybody.

>If you don't want to allow customers to upgrade Delphi Pro version (prior
>to BDS) to Turbo Delphi Pro because it is a "new product line", may be
>you could consider a "special offer" for loyal Borland customers like
>myself. I have quite a stack of Borland products boxed-up around here
>since TP 3.
Here's the problem again with perception. Someone considers themselves, a
loyal customer (whether you agree or not is irrelavent, the customer's
opinion is all that matters) and a new, very similar and even considered
"next generation" product comes out, these customers expect a special offer
as a thanks for supporting the company in the past. A "coupon" if you will.
With all the recent, ahem, discussions about having an upgrade or a special
for the Turbo line, I am trying to figure out what the negatives are for
having such an offer?
-BKN

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

>If you don't want to allow customers to upgrade Delphi Pro version (prior
>to BDS) to Turbo Delphi Pro because it is a "new product line", may be
>you could consider a "special offer" for loyal Borland customers like
>myself. I have quite a stack of Borland products boxed-up around here
>since TP 3.

The price, which hasn't been officially announced yet by the way, *is* a
special offer to everybody.

Ah... but who is more "special?" -- new users who "may" become
loyal customers; or existing, previously loyal but sitting on the fence
since (likely) Delphi 7 customers?
Jeez DevCo, throw us a bone! It doesn't have to be a big one, just
something token like $299 upgrade from prior Delphi to Turbo Pro
vs. $350 new user. Or 50 bucks off whatever the selling price ends
up at.

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

"Bryce K. Nielsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

With all the recent, ahem, discussions about having an upgrade or a
special
for the Turbo line, I am trying to figure out what the negatives are for
having such an offer?

-BKN

The only one I can see, from DevCo point of view, would be that a lot of
Delphi 7 (and Delphi6, Delphi5, and so on) owners would then choose to pay
lower price to upgrade to single-language Delphi IDE, and then never get on
the more expensive BDS upgrade track. By not having special upgrade price
DevCo essential forces you to fork out $499 (for a brand new non-upgrade
Turbo Delphi) or $460 for an upgrade to four-language studio solution.
Studio solution appears cheaper, but if you don't want the extra languages
then you will lose out on those savings and more when it comes time for the
next upgrade. (I'm assuming upgrades from Turbo Delphi to Turbo Delphi2
will be less than upgrades from 2007BDS to 2008BDS.
-- Herb Sitz

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

klunk writes:
Jeez DevCo, throw us a bone!
It seems odd to rant at a company that doesn't yet exist, regarding a
product that hasn't been released, because of a price that hasn't yet
been announced.

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

>Jeez DevCo, throw us a bone!

It seems odd to rant at a company that doesn't yet exist, regarding a
product that hasn't been released, because of a price that hasn't yet
been announced.
Rant? Really? I thought it was more of a request (whiney as
it may be :) ) based on current speculation based on current
information provided Borland / DevCo...

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

The only one I can see, from DevCo point of view, would be that a lot of
Delphi 7 (and Delphi6, Delphi5, and so on) owners would then choose to pay
lower price to upgrade to single-language Delphi IDE, and then never get
on
the more expensive BDS upgrade track. By not having special upgrade
price
DevCo essential forces you to fork out $499 (for a brand new non-upgrade
Turbo Delphi) or $460 for an upgrade to four-language studio solution.
Studio solution appears cheaper, but if you don't want the extra languages
then you will lose out on those savings and more when it comes time for the
next upgrade. (I'm assuming upgrades from Turbo Delphi to Turbo Delphi2
will be less than upgrades from 2007BDS to 2008BDS.

The other alternative is that these people never upgrade and eventually
migrate away to VS? (which I see happening to just about every company
that's used Delphi that I have worked with).
-BKN

Bryce K. Nielsen writes:
The other alternative is that these people never upgrade and
eventually migrate away to VS? (which I see happening to just about
every company that is used Delphi that I have worked with).
I have a feeling that if they're willing to migrate to a whole
different IDE - a non-trivial undertaking, no matter how you slice it -
then a difference of a few hundred bucks isn't going to make a
difference.
$460 (?) to upgrade to BDS
$499 (?) to move to Turbo
$300 - $800 plus god knows how much time and effort to move to VS
If someone is willing to undertake the third option, which is hugely
more expensive than either of the other two, then I doubt that offering
Turbo will ahve any impact, regardless of the price point. The actual
price tag of the products in question is pretty much trivial when
viewed against the big picture.

Bryce K. Nielsen ha scritto:
The other alternative is that these people never upgrade and eventually
migrate away to VS? (which I see happening to just about every company
that's used Delphi that I have worked with).
They should definitely know there are a lot of less painful methods to
commit suicide. <g>
--
MARCO BREVEGLIERI
(www.marco.breveglieri.name)

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

" Tom Corey" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Bryce K. Nielsen writes:

>The other alternative is that these people never upgrade and
>eventually migrate away to VS? (which I see happening to just about
>every company that is used Delphi that I have worked with).

I have a feeling that if they're willing to migrate to a whole
different IDE - a non-trivial undertaking, no matter how you slice it -
then a difference of a few hundred bucks isn't going to make a
difference.

$460 (?) to upgrade to BDS
$499 (?) to move to Turbo
$300 - $800 plus god knows how much time and effort to move to VS

If someone is willing to undertake the third option, which is hugely
more expensive than either of the other two, then I doubt that offering
Turbo will ahve any impact, regardless of the price point. The actual
price tag of the products in question is pretty much trivial when
viewed against the big picture.
My particular situation has other options, and since I was the original
poster:
Win32:
Continue using Delphi 6 = $0 to DevCo
Only with the announcement of "Turbo" have I considered upgrading. It just
brought up lots of good memories of the 80s.
.NET:
Continue using Visual Studio = $0 to DevCo
(I use two languages - one is C# and the other a Pascal dialect)
If Delphi Win32 code could be written using Visual Studio, that is what I'd
be using. HEY!!! Can somebody do that; is it possible? I would be willing to pay
*more* for a Win32 Pascal dialect compiler for VS than for that than a Turbo
Delphi BDS-based IDE.
It may be getting time for me to phase out Win32. :-(
-Johnnie

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

They should definitely know there are a lot of less painful methods to
commit suicide. <g>

And yet, most of these companies feel that staying with Borland/DevCo *is*
suicide...
-BKN

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

I have a feeling that if they're willing to migrate to a whole
different IDE - a non-trivial undertaking, no matter how you slice it -
then a difference of a few hundred bucks isn't going to make a
difference.

They aren't switching IDEs, they're switching companies. The recent
upheavals known as D8/D2005 caused a lot of compies to finally close the
books on Borland and move over to MS. There are some with lingering projects
that haven't made the jump to VS still in Delphi and some have told me
personally that if there was a Delphi-Only-Delphi, they'd reconsider the
migration. As it is with BDS, they don't like it and will probably never
upgrade to it and rather just rewrite things in VS C#.
Again, just reporting what I have been told...
-BKN

Re:Rename Delphi to Turbo Delphi Upgrade to "Special Offier"

"Johnnie Norsworthy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Borland,

If you don't want to allow customers to upgrade Delphi Pro version (prior
to BDS) to Turbo Delphi Pro because it is a "new product line", may be you
could consider a "special offer" for loyal Borland customers like myself.
I have quite a stack of Borland products boxed-up around here since TP 3.

The really loyal customers like myself already have BDS2006 (even though I
only use the Delphi for Win32 Pro personality) so it is a non-issue. However,
I'm not going to get upset if those who hadn't financially supported Borland
in the recent difficult times were given a special offer for the first 30
days to kickstart the launch.