Re: Vista and Delphi 7 Incompatibility Warning

2006-11-24 05:36:49 PM
delphi141
Clean installation of Vista will save you from countless troubles and upgrade-related bugs. System of such complexity as Windows, cannot be upgraded reliably (especially with minimal support from third-party software developers). It was the same with Windows2000, XP, and now is the same with Vista.

Re: Vista and Delphi 7 Incompatibility Warning

DevExpress are warning of such problems in their latest release which
comes after the release version of Office 2007.
That was the place I first read about it, too.
I will post the result of
that check if no one else has given a definite answer in the meantime.
Yes, please do that - I fear some of our customers will get their hands on
Offce 2007 before me...

Re: Vista and Delphi 7 Incompatibility Warning

Thank you Tom.
If you're trying to install Vista over an existing XP installation you will
get a warning that you have to uninstall BDS and reinstall it after you have
upgraded to Vista.
In other words, it appears that the situation differs between Delphi 7 (for
example) and BDS2006 in an XP-Vista upgrade situation. With D7, the
warning is potential only and relates to a risk for D7, not with Vista
itself - whereas, with BDS2006, if I interpret you correctly, you
cannot perform the upgrade at all if BDS2006 remains installed.
Interesting!
I am currently running BDS2006 with all updates and hotfixes on Vista
Ultimate RTM (MSDN-version) with no problems. I did a clean install though.

Thank you Tom. That is very useful information which I am sure many
others will also appreciate, including those still waivering over the
decision to upgrade from D5-7.
Finn has also intimated that Delphi 7 will install on top of Vista, but
needs permissions resetting - but I still await confirmation whether
or not that permissions resetting will suffice for an upgrade
situation on top of D7.

Regards
Allan

Re: Vista and Delphi 7 Incompatibility Warning

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:33:10 +0100, Moni
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
You can run Delphi 7 on a Virtual PC running XP.

If your machine can handle Vista then it can handle a virtual PC.

Moni,
Thank you for that confirmation, but I was hoping for a "simple"
upgrade to my primary development machine - and while your implied
suggestion would allow me to check my problem, I am rather hoping that
someone else has already checked and solved it.
I have it in mind for my next generation of primary machine for it to
be native Vista (thus not relying on my continuing MSDN subscription)
and to have at least 4GB memory (rather than the current 2GB) before
entering the virtual PC world and covering continued compatibility
with XP and 2000 on a single machine. Of course, even with a single
PC capability, I will still have others in reserve - including always
a laptop and a standby desktop both holding the previous fully tested
environment.
Regards
Allan

Re: Vista and Delphi 7 Incompatibility Warning

including those still waivering over the
decision to upgrade from D5-7.
For the non-native English speakers, waiver is a mistype and should
have read waver. Waver about is "undecided" while waiver is a correct
word but with a completely different meaning (associated with giving
up rights to something).
Please note that I am correcting myself, not someone else!

On 24 Nov 2006 02:36:49 -0700, "alex_t" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

Clean installation of Vista will save you from countless troubles and upgrade-related bugs. System of such complexity as Windows, cannot be upgraded reliably (especially with minimal support from third-party software developers). It was the same with Windows2000, XP, and now is the same with Vista.
Alex,
Thanks for your input, but actually I take it one stage further when
it comes to my (longer-term) main development machine. I buy a new
one with the required OS pre-installed and, therefore, covered fully
by the guarantee (and without giving tech staff the excuse that it is
"not their fault, but the other thing". I only do clean installs on
an existing PC, following some disaster or other (or upgrade of hard
disc etc.). For all other circumstances I want to emulate what my
clients might do, and an OS upgrade is what they will most likely do
if a new machine is not appropriate. In this particular instance, I
want to be able to check out Vista as soon as possible with my
existing code base.
I have followed that rule with all the OS you listed and actually
never once had a significant problem following the upgrade - at least
not one related to the upgrade. I have had plenty relating to
incompatible drivers etc. of course but that would have happened with
a clean install.
As a general observation, however, your advice is completely sound
IMO. All else being equal, a clean install is the way to go.
Regards
Allan Knox

Re: Vista and Delphi 7 Incompatibility Warning

"Allan G. Knox" <ccc**AT**btinternet.com@>writes
In other words, it appears that the situation differs between Delphi 7 (for
example) and BDS2006 in an XP-Vista upgrade situation. With D7, the
warning is potential only and relates to a risk for D7, not with Vista
itself - whereas, with BDS2006, if I interpret you correctly, you
cannot perform the upgrade at all if BDS2006 remains installed.
Interesting!

Well, it says something like "It may not work after upgrading to Windows
Vista and/or it has know problems". It then goes on to say you should
deinstall before upgrading and reinstall after the upgrade.

Finn has also intimated that Delphi 7 will install on top of Vista, but
needs permissions resetting - but I still await confirmation whether
or not that permissions resetting will suffice for an upgrade
situation on top of D7.
That's probably just to circumvent the new User Account Control features.
You can also disable that on a system wide basis (which I have done on my
system).
According to the Vista help, this is waht UAC is:
"User Account Control (UAC) is a feature in Windows that can help prevent
unauthorized changes to your computer. UAC does this by asking you for
permission or an administrator? password before performing actions that
could potentially affect your computer's operation or that change settings
that affect other users. When you see a UAC message, read it carefully, and
then make sure the name of the action or program that is about to start is
one that you intended to start.
By verifying these actions before they start, UAC can help prevent malicious
software (malware) and spyware from installing or making changes to your
computer without permission."
Best Regards,
Tom Reiertsen

Ottar Holstad writes:
>Similarly, I am not touching Office 2007 because there
>are known problems with the BDE.

Hi, do you, or anyone else, know if this is the case with the
release-version of Office 2007?
I had no registraion/activation problems with the release version. In
fact I must say that this was the easiest installations of any Windows
OS I have ever installed. I installed it on my HP dv8100US laptop in a
dual boot configuration, keeping Windows XP on partiion(0). In this
kind of install, it wants the parition to itself so you may want to
remove any files you want to keep on that partition, although it does
back them all up to a folder first. I also installed MS Office 2007 on
Vista without any registration/activatoin issues.
I will continue to develop Delphi apps in XP but needed to test them in
Vista (for logo compliance). They ran just fine, although I have some
work to do on the colors and fonts, etc.
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software, LLC

Re: Vista and Delphi 7 Incompatibility Warning

David,
Q1. Do you have Delphi 7 or BDS2006 on the Vista partition?
Q2. Do you have BDE installed with Office 2007 on either or both
partitions?
Regards
Allan Knox

Allan G. Knox writes:
David,
Q1. Do you have Delphi 7 or BDS2006 on the Vista partition?

Q2. Do you have BDE installed with Office 2007 on either or both
partitions?
Hi Alan,
No and No. Sorry.