dbExpress and Unicode

2004-08-31 08:50:36 PM
delphi266
Hi,
I have an application with D6, dbExpress Components, Upscene Driver
and Firebird 1.5. Normally I use varchar columns with the character
set ISO8859_1, but in one or two tables I need some columns with
unicode characters.
I declared them as VARCHAR(40) CHARACTER SET UNICODE_FSS.
My question is, if I can access these columns correctly with dbExpress
and how to do that? I want to load one record in a TClientDataSet,
change it and then save it again?
Is this possible with dbx/D6?
If not, will it be possible with dbx/D9?
If not, what is the best alternative to connect Delphi 6 to Firebird 1.5
with unicode support?
cu Christian

Re:dbExpress and Unicode

Hi,
I am trying unicode controls (Tnt unicode controls) with Delphi 7. We have a
MS SQL server and I created a table with both "char" and "nchar" (national
characters, unicode) columns. When I open the table with ADO components, the
columns are retrieved correctly (StringField and WideStringField). But when
I open the table with dbExpress components, the columns are retrieved
incorrectly (both are StringFields).
I think that there should be something is not unicode-enabled. Is this
related to dbExpress merely, or the dbExpress DLL in use? I am appreciated
if there is any information about the problem.
Thank you very much.
Regards,
Wilson

Re:dbExpress and Unicode

Does D2005 dbExpress support Unicode ?
Thanks for any help
Peter

Re:dbExpress and Unicode

No not yet. NLS types and Unicode are not fully supported.
T.Ramesh.
"Peter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Alex Ehrlich (XXXX@XXXXX.COM), wilson (XXXX@XXXXX.COM)
I think that there should be something is not unicode-enabled. Is
this
related to dbExpress merely, or the dbExpress DLL in use? I am
appreciated
if there is any information about the problem.
"OpenODBC Version 3.023, 2004-11-08" can work with unicode fields
(parameter of connection coEnableUnicode=1) for Delphi7 with
application runtime corrections "SqlExprFix.pas".
"DB NLS Field" <->TSQLDataSet.TWideStringField <->TProvider <->
TClientDataSet.TWideStringField
Restrictions concern only Memo fields and it is possible interactive
assignment of parameters for unicode. It would be possible to solve
and this question, but it demands updating TClientDataSet. Source
codes for which are not present. Others dbexpress the driver also do
not support work with unicode. It is a problem of the standard
dbexpress. dbexpress there is a frozen technology. The basic problem
not in our powerlessness to make it, and in deafness, indifference and
irresponsibility Borland. To make support unicode in dbexpress it is
simple. But I think that it never any more will not be. dbExpress is a
dead decision and the index of the quality / responsibility of
decisions Borland.
Vadim