About Post "It actually happened!"

2005-08-25 08:02:18 AM
delphi86
Att: Mr Peter Morris.
Well, I am not very sure if you are serious or not about what you sayed in
your post
... but let met drop a few lines about D2005.
D2005 hangs ALWAYS, I mean it seems that it has a TTimer active with an
interval
of 300000 that purposely shows up a Exception, turns readonly a unit,
just terminates the IDE silently .. etc..etc..
Object Inspector "eats" sometimes properties of a component, where property
"name" was,
suddenly it appears "top", so you where thinking you where writing the
component
name and suddenly after pressing enter you get a "Invalid Integer Value".
Also it loses
the middle line position (the line that splits the property name and the
property values) so
each time close the IDE and reopen it, this line is Randomly positioned.
Code Insight does not behave well when working with records. It does not
show 2 level and above, records members. At all my projects I use 4 o 5
level records,
with Delphi 7 it works like a charm.. now.. when you press CTRL space.. you
get the "infinite white" I mean absolutely nothing.
Code Insight needs clues when looking for example, ordinal names, if you for
example have a Ordinal named "cnt_Test",if you press ctrl space and then
write
"cnt_" nothing is suggested, but if you write first "cnt_" and the press
ctrl space
then suddenly "cnt_Test" appear... crazy.
It is slow. Switching between units is a pain. Writing code is hell, each
time I write
some lines, the cursor turns to "clock" some seconds (some activity??
happens
maybe) so I can not write no code until it stops. In undocked mode when moving
the form,
you feel like playing Quake3 with a 486 ( I have a nvidia Geoforce 5 256
mg).
If you add a new component to a form, it takes about 10 seconds since you
clicked it
at the "component palette" since it appears on the form the first time you
acces this component.
The component palette is alive. If you organize your comps in customized
tabs, move
them here and there,an then you recompile a design package that registers a
component into the
palette the whole customization is deleted, defaults are applied.
It eats Memory. My PIV 3,2 is just in pain every time I execute D2005. I
have 1 Gig of ram
(sorry, 700 Mg ram , delphi eats 300) and I feel like being using a Pentium
66.
D2005 dissapers from the task switch or it alters the entire Z order of the
windows, so that
sometimes when you press ALT+TAB it is not listed... or it stucks at the
topmost of all windows,
or even ALT+TAB function does not work any more.
Docked windows (object Inspector, component palette, project manager) when
autohidden,
randomly get as wide as the screen when they reapear, so you have to resize
them manually again
to position them correctly.
And believe me there are more issues I don't write in here to make this post
more borring at it
is...
... and yes.. I have installed all three SP's, unofficial patches, JED's
configuration manager
... etc..etc..
You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just have a
look at QC,
it is impossible that all those QC reports are wrong.
Regards.
John.

Re:About Post "It actually happened!"

John McLaine writes:
Att: Mr Peter Morris.

You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just have a
look at QC,
it is impossible that all those QC reports are wrong.

Regards.
John.
Um, are you actually trying to tell Mr Morris that his experience with
Delphi 2005 is wrong simply because yours was/is not good?
I feel for you, I really do, but telling someone that they are wrong
because they have had no problems doesn't make sense to me.
Heaven forbid someone post about something good....
--
Robin.
<disclaimer>Not an expert </disclaimer>

John McLaine writes:
You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just
have a look at QC, it is impossible that all those QC reports are
wrong.
Have you only recently arrived in this newsgroup? The reason I ask is
that it has long since been determined and accepted that *for some*
users, D2005 is very unstable and slow, while for others it performs
quite well. That your installation gives you grief in no way means that
your experience is universal, nor that Peter's is invalid.

At 02:02:18, 25.08.2005, John McLaine writes:
You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just have
a look at QC, it is impossible that all those QC reports are wrong.
He is merely saying that for him, it is stable. Of course he is serious.
Don't assume that since you have problems, that everyone must have them.
I also don't have any stability problems with D2005 (installed on 3
machines here), but I am aware of the fact that others have them.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well? They have the

John McLaine writes:
Code Insight does not behave well when working with records. It does
not show 2 level and above, records members. At all my projects I use
4 o 5 level records, with Delphi 7 it works like a charm.. now.. when
you press CTRL space.. you get the "infinite white" I mean absolutely
nothing. Code Insight needs clues when looking for example, ordinal
names, if you for example have a Ordinal named "cnt_Test",if you
press ctrl space and then write "cnt_" nothing is suggested, but if
you write first "cnt_" and the press ctrl space then suddenly
"cnt_Test" appear... crazy.
FWIW, I have opened that report.
I couldn't reproduce your other report but will try again tonight when
I have some more time.
--
www.jed-software.com

John McLaine writes:
Well, I am not very sure if you are serious or not about what you sayed in
your post
I think he and I'd like to append our messages with "Your mileage
may vary."
Object Inspector "eats" sometimes properties of a component, where property
"name" was,
suddenly it appears "top", so you where thinking you where writing the
component
I remember something like that with no updates or Update 1. I know
Update 3 plus unofficial hot fixes have been applied, but they don't
seem to be running.
Code Insight does not behave well when working with records. It does not
show 2 level and above, records members. At all my projects I use 4 o 5
level records,
I don't use nested records, but I can reproduce what you describe. Make
sure to vote for the QC. Peter may not see it because he uses C#.

Re:About Post "It actually happened!"

You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just have a
look at QC,
it is impossible that all those QC reports are wrong.

Regards.
John.

Take D6/D7. Or Lazarus.
Binary Packets with daily error corrections
www.de.freepascal.org/lazarus/
New: Free Pascal 2.1.1 / Lazarus 0.9.9
Create native 64-bit compiler/IDE
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
Parameterized Types (aka Generics) also for Win32
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
Help system needs major work
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re:About Post "It actually happened!"

At first of all please don't take me wrong. Maybe I forgot to put a smiley
somewhere there and here at my post :-). I did not want to be unpolite
to nobody.
... so Rudy. I don't assume nothing. Quite all issues that I comented
should happen to 99% of all Delphi 2005 Installations since they are
bugs, er..still unresolved.
I have been reading this newsgroup for long and never (maybe once) posted
a entry. I have seen post telling "my delphi 2005 works well", "apply update
patch 1".. etc etc.etc.. Rudy.. believe me.. I have installed D2005 on
several
different machines, with diferents OS'es, with different hardware... and I
experience
allways the same problems.
It is not a complain what I wanted to state, nor a attack to Mr. Peter
Morris, just my
2 cents about all this.
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?en el mensaje
At 02:02:18, 25.08.2005, John McLaine writes:

>You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just have
>a look at QC, it is impossible that all those QC reports are wrong.

He is merely saying that for him, it is stable. Of course he is serious.
Don't assume that since you have problems, that everyone must have them.
I also don't have any stability problems with D2005 (installed on 3
machines here), but I am aware of the fact that others have them.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de

"Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well? They have the
same enemy -- the mother." - Claudette Colbert.

Re:About Post "It actually happened!"

Um, are you actually trying to tell Mr Morris that his experience with
Delphi 2005 is wrong simply because yours was/is not good?

No. I am not trying to tell that. I just establishing facts. D2005 hangs,
D2005 has bugs.
In some other post answering this ,somebody said that Mr. Morris was
using C#, maybe that could be the diference between his installation
and mine. I just use only Delphi and the Net part, no C#.
Heaven forbid someone post about something good....

No.. being positive is good... :-) I have to be positive.. that's
why I still use Delphi 7 instead of D2005 :-)

Re:About Post "It actually happened!"

Hi John
You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just have a
look at QC,
it is impossible that all those QC reports are wrong.
You are putting words into my mouth, I don't use the word "stable" once in
my post. I cannot say if D2005 is good or bad "in general" because I
haven't conducted a scientific study on the matter. I can however state my
own experiences, and my posting was a very accurate representation of those.
--
Pete
====

At 09:33:28, 25.08.2005, John McLaine writes:
Rudy.. believe me.. I have
installed D2005 on several different machines, with diferents OS'es,
with different hardware... and I experience allways the same problems.
Oh, I don't have any problems believing you. I know you are not the only
one.
But you doubted those who said they had no problems were serious. Well,
why not?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an

Re:About Post "It actually happened!"

You are putting words into my mouth, I don't use the word "stable" once in
my post. I cannot say if D2005 is good or bad "in general" because I
haven't conducted a scientific study on the matter. I can however state
my own experiences, and my posting was a very accurate representation of
those.
"I have been blessed with practically no problems at all, and now today it
hung. that is pretty good going though, all that time, wow :-)"
Well... I did not intend to say that you sayed this or that... in the above
line
you don't say "stable" correct. But "with practically no problems at all"
what does
it mean ? Unstable ? no.. stable. Anyway... I did not wanted to disturb you
with
my post... I you feel that it was unpolite then my apologies.. all this came
up
because I had enough of posts where people say that Delphi 2005 is a thing
wich
you can work with... for me it is completelly useless.
"Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?
en el mensaje news:430d9f96$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Hi John

>You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just have a
>look at QC,
>it is impossible that all those QC reports are wrong.

--
Pete
====
ECO Modeler, Audio compression components, DIB graphics controls,
FastStrings
www.droopyeyes.com

Read or write articles on just about anything
www.HowToDoThings.com

My blog
blogs.slcdug.org/petermorris/

Re:About Post "It actually happened!"

At 13:04:57, 25.08.2005, John McLaine writes:
I had known (after my post) that Mr. Morris uses C# only. I haven't
tested this, since I only work with Delphi Language and Delphi Language
.NET. Maybe that makes the difference.
No, it doesn't. I haven't used C# in the D2005 IDE yet, only Delphi for
.NET and Delphi for Win32. And I did not have any of the problems
described by you and others.
Anyway, the problem seems to be in the IDE, and they all use the same IDE.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job

At 08:40:45, 25.08.2005, Max writes:

>You can't be serious when you state that D2005 is stable... just
>have a look at QC, it is impossible that all those QC reports are
>wrong.
>
>Regards.
>John.

Take D6/D7. Or Lazarus.
He said he needed to use Delphi for .NET. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"If thereís one thing I know itís God does love a good joke."

Re:About Post "It actually happened!"

Oh, I don't have any problems believing you. I know you are not the only
one.
I rather think you should count XORwise :-) Who are not having problems at
all ?