Re: Windows Vista

2005-09-22 10:42:52 AM
delphi32
David Clegg writes:
Can the Click Wheel on the iPod be considered innovative then? Do any
of the iPod competitors have anything similar, or do they use the more
standard approach of bucketloads of buttons?
Um, yes. Prior manufacturers, like Rio and Sony, used a circular style
interface for navigation and selection. The round disc was not a wheel,
but was circular, and you could click.

Re: Windows Vista

Rhys Sage writes:
Kevin Berry writes:

>Andre Kaufmann writes:
>
>>Though they would have the same problem as Microsoft, much
>>different hardware and hardware incompatibility issues.
>
>Yip... Apple's Macs are quite well known for their quality. I
>suspect that running Mac OS X on any old hardware may actually make
>OS X a little unstable and bring it down to Windows' level. I think
>it would be best if Mac OS X and the hardware came from the same
>company- as they currently do.
>
>Cheers,
>Kevin.

It could decrease reliability but isn't it the purpose of the bios to
match the hardware to the OS?

It has been. Most modern operating systems have their own drivers for
e.g. hard disks and don't rely on the BIOS. Only for reading the boot
sektor *g*.
Reason ? I guess performance and resource management. But don't know for
sure.
I can chuck virtually any card at a mac and there'll be a mac driver.

I wish the same was tru of Linux.
Andre

Re: Windows Vista

David Smith writes:
Andre Kaufmann writes:

>I don't know Mac OS X that much it has an innovative OS and desktop.
>If Apple would decide to open it for all platforms, not only the
>(very) expensive Apple computers perhaps the user basis would grow too
>and some

You really can not say that Macs are *very* expensive these days. They
might be little more expensive than same kind of PC, but not that much
any more.

Well a high end Mac G5 is sold at 2300$. The comparable PC at 1200$.
Perhaps currently it is not that easy to compare prices, because of the
different platform. Since Apple has moved to a PC (Intel) platform we
are able to compare prices directly.
We'll see if the first Intel based Mac is available.
Andre

Re: Windows Vista

I don't recall who said it, or the quote exactly, but it goes something like
this ...
'The only software without bugs is outdated software.'
Regards
Mike
"Tom Corey" <omtay otday oreycay @ otmailhay otday omcay>writes
Rhys Sage writes:

>I don't want to pay for an operating system that needs constant
>updates and constant bug fixes. I want product that is 100% working.

Don't we all? Do let us know if you ever discover such a critter. No
version of Windows (or Linux, or Mac, etc) has ever been flawless. It's
unlikely that any version ever will be, simply because of the
complexity inherent in an operating system.

Re: Windows Vista

Kyle A. Miller writes:

>So you didn't answer the question?

I answered the question of innovation. There are plenty of MP3 players.
I have used MP3 players with similar interfaces, but not as {*word*226}. Is
{*word*226} innovation? I guess for some.
What's {*word*226} about iPod? I have never got it. Not the white color, I'm
using black earphones. But having used couple of other mp3 players, I'd
never want use them again. iPod is just that good. Not {*word*226}.
Try it. At least you will know more.
>the user interface is light years ahead of the others. So is the
>combination of iPod-iTunes-Music store. There's nothing else like that
>in the marketplace.

iTunes is a terrible application. I have used a number of music
organizers/mp3 player managers/store front software. iTunes was the
worst of the bunch. No, that is not innovation.
Fine. that is your opinion. You have maybe used it as music organizer. In
my opinion, it is very good at that, but there were few concepts that
were confusing at start for me. After I *got* them, it is has been a
wonderful application.
You haven't used it as mp3 player manager, so I won't discuss that, but
you say it is lousy as music store front?!? that is really strange. I
actually don't know many people who would say that. It has won all the
reviews it has been in. I would like to know how it is bad as store front.
I am not saying the Newton was not innovative. What I am saying is that
using the yard stick you established, we'll have to say the Newton was
not innovative, but the Palm was because it was "nice", "successful",
"wildly popular" whereas the Newton wasn't.
What are you talking about now? I just said that if something is nice
doesn't make it un-innovative. I have not said that popularity makes a
product innovative. For heavens sake, look at Windows ;-)
>Have ever considered that maybe it is not about blind cult following,

The passion in your post for simply an MP3 player tells me otherwise.
I'm not simply talking about a mp3 player. I am talking about a range
music related products that all are innovative and have been a delight
to use. If I have passion for music and good products, that doesn't make
me a blind cult follower.
It's starting to sound as you are the blind follower here. You really
can't accept that the company with the big fruit logo can make any good
products. You just assume that people are using them simply because they
want to be cool. As the media has created such a atmosphere around the
iPods. Try to see beyond that.
--
David S.
Delphi programming : www.borland.com/delphi/

Re: Windows Vista

a) OpenGL based - which would have been incompatible with their own
technology - DirectX
FWIW, new DirectX is incompatible with the old ones, DirectX 9 and older
will also be emulated in Vista. What the new DirectX shares with the old
one is the name, nothing more, from API to driver models, pretty much
everything changed.
b) DirectX - with an emulation layer for OpenGL 1.1
(I don't know why there is an emulation layer for OpenGL 2.0 -
perhaps speed ? Technology incompatibility / resource problems ?)
Should be for 1.4, which in and of itself is better than the old Software
OpenGL 1.1 MS offered since NT4.
The real trouble comes from OpenGL ICD support and drivers, in current
state, when installing an OpenGL ICD (from nVidia, ATI, etc.) to get
optimized support and latest OpenGL support, it turns off Aero, so windows
will look like Windows XP rather than Vista.
Technically, hardware vendors have indicated this wouldn't be any
trouble, *if* MS provides them with information (odds are they'll
provide it anyway once Vista is out, but they'll only be able to
provide it in non WHQL drivers if MS do not give them info
officially.. given Vista nags on drivers, that would be enough
to scare most users).
Every tried to display a DirectX window in an OpenGL one ?
As far things go today, this isn't a very complex proposition,
you can display DirectX or Video stuff in OpenGL, and vice-versa.
At the lowest levels, OpenGL windows are already using a DirectDraw
surface anyway.
Doesn't mean that the way it currently is is the best option possible,
but what (simple) solution would have been better ? I cannot think of
any (besides a slow emulation layer for OpenGL 2.0).
There is no *technical requirement* for turning off Aero and presentation,
the most simple solution for drivers would just be to let OpenGL render
to off-screen buffers, and copy the result to a DirectX texture,
such an operation would be no different for the presentation layer
than changing a DirectX texture.
Without driver support, that isn't difficult but could be a bit slow
as you will have to transfer things via main memory, with driver support,
this would be "free" as everything could happen hardware-side (internally,
the hardware doesn't have different buffers for OpenGL and DirectX anyway,
so for some drivers, there may not even be any actual copying required).
Eric

Re: Windows Vista

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
I've already told Apple reps
about this, but they probably weren't the right ones.
Or maybe they "don't see it profitable" to implement this <g>
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Windows Vista

"Kevin Berry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Charles B writes:
>Indeed! Their latest iPod uses flash memory and even lets you choose the
>songs from a small screen!
>Cutting edge stuff! ;-)

Have you actually used an iPod? They're actually very nice. I have tried a
few different MP3 players and in terms of usability the iPod comes up
tops. Sure, there are other MP3 players with more features (FM radio,
etc.) but for the most part these are simply add-ons that can be purchased
anyway and they're merely distractions- the iPod does what it does very
well and that is why it is number 1.
Yes I have and I agree they are 'nice', but it just get annoyed when they
present every new product as 'cutting edge' and unique when with the iPod
nano they merely catching up (and hopefully overtaking?) the competition.
Lets face it, the iPod shuffle was {*word*99} with no screen.
Their publicity definitely has the air of "the emperor's new clothes" about
it IMO.
CB

Re: Windows Vista

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, "Oliver Townshend"
<oliveratzipdotcomdotau>says...
>Can the Click Wheel on the iPod be considered innovative then? Do any
>of the iPod competitors have anything similar, or do they use the more
>standard approach of bucketloads of buttons?

No one else does it, so I presume the Click Wheel is patented.

Yup by Creative and MS...
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Re: Windows Vista

Yup by Creative and MS...
I thought their patent was the randomization of play lists.
Oliver Townshend

Re: Windows Vista

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, "Oliver Townshend"
<oliveratzipdotcomdotau>says...
>Yup by Creative and MS...

I thought their patent was the randomization of play lists.

Oliver Townshend

www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/08/30/apple_creativepatent/
<quote>
The Zen patent covers the selection by the user of a least one track in
a portable media player as a user navigates through a hierarchy using
three or more successive screens.
</quote>
and
www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/10/microsoft_apple_patent/
<quote>
The story reports that last month an iPod-related patent application for
"rotational user inputs" by Apple was rejected, with the examiner citing
an earlier 2002 application filed by John Platt. A Microsoft Research
scientist who used to work for touch pad vendor Synaptics...
</quote>
--

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Or maybe they "don't see it profitable" to implement this <g>
Perhaps, but the idea seems to make sense when I mention it to people.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re: Windows Vista

Charles B writes:
Lets face it, the iPod shuffle was {*word*99} with no screen.
Absolutely... Sony has a much better device (slightly bigger but the
OLED display is damn nice!). Except it doesn't have a catchy name- Sony
has done a damn idiotic job marketing-wise IMHO.
Anyway, the new Nano now trumps (perhaps "equals" or "comes close
enough" should be used here because it is a little bigger but has a
better UI) the Sony device that was released a month or two back so Sony
lost their window of opportunity.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: Windows Vista

Kyle A. Miller writes:
Part of its rise is due to
Apple cult's following like Newton before it. This time, Apple hit the
mark.
This observation is quite interesting... with the Newton Apple was too
early to market- the Newton was too big and too pricey, but it was
revolutionary when it came out. AFAICR the PocketPC hand-writing
recognition engine was based on the Newton technology (can't remember
where I read this though). And I bet that the Palm Pilot was inspired
by the Newton.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: Windows Vista

Kyle A. Miller writes:
iTunes is a terrible application. I have used a number of music
organizers/mp3 player managers/store front software. iTunes was the
worst of the bunch. No, that is not innovation.
Actually I like iTunes a lot. I prefer Winamp to organize and store my
music, but for purchasing music online it works very well. I do wish
all of these music stores would realize that MP3 is probably the most
desired format and support that. I always end up converting all my
music into MP3 format so that I can use it on my MP101. So far, that's
my only real criticism of iTunes.
Cheers,
Kevin.