Re: Confused about which way to go

2003-11-17 05:41:27 PM
delphi243
"Jeff Undercash" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
| Which way are you and your company going?
PHP if you really want to know :-)

Markus Rautenberg writes:
>If you deploy via CD or DVD, I think you can redistribute the
>framework as well. And newer versions of the OS have the framework
>already.

Although I haven't tried downloading a small developer's shareware CD
or DVD yet, it might be interesting to find out the percentage of
shareware users with an installed Windows 2003 Server OS.
My copy of Windows XP came with SP1a and the .NET framework.
>My Windows XP installed it without me asking.

Must be a dutch extra feature. Mine didn't. ,-)
German Windows XP Pro. New.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the

Markus Rautenberg writes:
>My copy of Windows XP came with SP1a and the .NET framework.

Hmm. I see, I have the original -pre SP1- Windows XP without .NET
preinstalled. Even after SP1, I had to install .NET "manually" - or
voluntarily.
I hope you have/had DSL, or had a CD with the framework on it (C#Builder
came with everything on the CD, for instance).
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off

"Peter Morris [Droopy Eyes Software]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:3fb7bfe6$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>1. C Sharp Builder - Borland's version of Microsoft's new programming
>language. This is something like the best features of C and Delphi
combined
>to make a powerful new language. The best thing about C Sharp Builder
is
>.net support.

The worst is lack of native Win32 support.
After Longhorn hits (admittedly in the future) .net will be the native
windows API.
Kirk Halgren

Re: Confused about which way to go

"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
If you deploy via CD or DVD, I think you can redistribute the framework
as well. And newer versions of the OS have the framework already. My
WinXP installed it without me asking.
True; I guess I am thinking more of people downloading .NET stuff from the
Web via dial-up.
Dave

Re: Confused about which way to go

"Lauchlan M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I think there is a third party package that gets it to link parts of the
.net framework into your app so you can distribute one .NET .exe on Win
32.
I don't recall the link (but posted it in this ng previously, maybe Google
will find it for you).
That's what I said -- Salamander.
But isn't it too early to sledge Borland for not including something like
this in Delphi.NET? They haven't released it yet, and along with
obfuscators
etc it may include such a thing. Or it may not.
Firstly, Delphi.NET is for Pascal developers. Secondly, it is a tool for
creating apps that run under .NET. What I am talking about is a tool for
creating stand-alone C# apps which don't require the presence of the .NET
runtime. This is nothing to do with Delphi.NET.
Dave

Re: Confused about which way to go

"Kirk Halgren" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
After Longhorn hits (admittedly in the future) .net will be the native
windows API.
No. It will be the *preferred* Windows API. Huge, huge difference.
Dave

Re: Confused about which way to go

No. It will be the *preferred* Windows API. Huge, huge difference.

Dave

Then what is the native API to be?
Kirk Halgren
"Dave Jewell" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Kirk Halgren writes:
| Then what is the native API to be?
By the time we get to Lonhorn the native API will be .NET and Win32 will be
a compatibility layer. (or so I hear)
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re: Confused about which way to go

"Joanna Carter (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Kirk Halgren writes:

| Then what is the native API to be?

By the time we get to Lonhorn the native API will be .NET and Win32 will
be
a compatibility layer. (or so I hear)

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter (TeamB)

Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Thanks, Joanna, I thought I would heard that at Borcon.
So do I assume correctly that calls in through .net will be the fastest way
to access the functions? Will the help files be written in C# instead of C?
Kirk Halgren

Re: Confused about which way to go

Jeff Undercash cried "Banzai!" and then writes::
Seems like Borland is going in so many different directions I am having
trouble picking which way to go:
I'm having trouble figuring this out myself. There's _way_ too many
options, but with not enough time to figure them out. Delphi 7 is
a new step for me. Before Delphi 7, I used D4 and I just really got
turned off of it. Delphi 1 was the most useful Delphi I have used.
I'm a dBplus (used to be called Visual dBase, which was Borland's
product for a while until dBase Inc. took control) programmer and
use Delphi7 on the side for some personal projects. But as it
stands, it is really hard trying to divert one's attention to
multiple languages without either getting syntax-confused or
getting a headache or both. ("Dammit! Why doesn't " i = 10"
work in Delphi7? It works in dBplus!.. Oh wait.. darn forgot
the semicolon.") Ok, it is a very simple case of mistaken
identity; but it does happen.
I suppose I am not the type of person to try different languages
at the same time. Those who do, I applaud them.
(C/C++/C#/Delphi/VB.Net/python/perl/etc... my goodness! There's
really no way anyone can program properly knowing all those
languages...
Seriously, I am going to take a semi-active approach. I am d/ling
C#Builder personal as I write and hopefully that will allow me
to understand what the smeg this whole thing is all about.
.NET seems like the future, but who knows what the future holds?
An asteroid could just wipe this Earth clean of inhabitants,
and any remaining survivors wouldn't give a toodles what language
was used; it just wasn't that language that helped protect the
Earth. (weak grin)
I know what I wrote doesn't help. I am just confused myself it's
just frustrating. There's just WAY too many languages out there.
Just not enough time or brain cells to learn them all. It's
either specialize in one or two, or become a "Jack of all trades,
but master at none".

Re: Confused about which way to go

"Joanna Carter (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
By the time we get to Lonhorn the native API will be .NET and Win32 will
be
a compatibility layer. (or so I hear)
My real objection to this is a very vague use of the word "native" which
seems to mean anything we want it to. I do not believe that the .NET
framework methods will replace Win32 as the "native" Windows API. In fact,
strictly speaking, Win32 isn't native either. The only *real* native API
set hosted by NT variants is the (largely undocumented) NTDLL functionality.
Everything else sits on top of this and I am very confident that that won't
change under LongHorn.
Hence, .NET will be the "preferred" (by Microsoft <g>) API under Longhorn
but it certainly won't be native.
Dave

Re: Confused about which way to go

"Edmund" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:3fb9ea5e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Jeff Undercash cried "Banzai!" and then writes::
<snip>
I know what I wrote doesn't help. I am just confused myself it's
just frustrating. There's just WAY too many languages out there.
Just not enough time or brain cells to learn them all. It's
either specialize in one or two, or become a "Jack of all trades,
but master at none".
Yes all those languages wanting someone to love them. I for one am tired of
it. Who is leading all of this? Greedy corporations that is who. Pascal and C++ are good
enough, but noooooo, "let's change this, oopps, only works on MY OS"!!
If we would all settle down with one syntax we would have reusable code. I hear
so often, "don't re-invent the wheel, use our libraries", NO, you don't reinvent the wheel
and make me use your libraries with your pathetic new language!!!

Re: Confused about which way to go

In article <3fb91891$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
|>No. It will be the *preferred* Windows API. Huge, huge difference.
|>
|>Dave
|>

|Then what is the native API to be?
MS-DOS
Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!