Re: Delphi 8 books

2004-01-10 10:58:50 PM
delphi80
David McCallum writes:
Any available yet?
I know that Xavier Pacheco is working on one.
tinyurl.com/yu6cn
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)

Re: Delphi 8 books

David McCallum writes:
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) tells us that Delphi 8 is fantastic at creating
ASP.NET applications. Perhaps a book on ASP.NET may help? Here are my
recommendations for that:
1. Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 24 Hours published by Sams, authored by
Scott Mitchell (NOTE: Do *NOT* get the first version of this book
which was written by a different author and used against a beta version
of VS.NET as it is awful).
2. Once you've gone through the above book, try Essential ASP.
3. Then, you might like to try Programming ASP.NET published by
Microsoft and authored by Dino Esposito.
Note also that book 1 above includes a free product called Web Matrix
Project (an IDE) to follow the authors coding examples as well as a
copy of the MSDE.
This should give you a thorough grounding in ASP and, when you're
ready, you can take that, along with your Delphi skills to Delphi 8 and get
cracking :) I imagine it may be some time before a book comes out for
ASP.NET in Delphi (if at all).
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi 8 books

I'm totally lost :(
Any available yet?
TIA
David McCallum

Re: Delphi 8 books

cracking :) I imagine it may be some time before a book comes out for
ASP.NET in Delphi (if at all).
Any ASP.NET book for C#, VB.NET etc covers the same material (ASP.NET, the
.NET framework) as you need to cover in Delphi. The framework specific code
is almost identical, eg namespace.subspace.methodname(argument) between the
languages, so you can just use existing books. Most of the books use VS.NET
but Delphi 8 and VS.NET are also largely identical too, so this is another non
issue.
There is precious little that Delphi 8 has introduced that is different to in C#
or VB.NET, and I think this could be listed right here - Borland Data
Providers and ECO MDA architectures in the architect version.
Personally I found the easiest book to get going with was the "ASP.NET Kick
Start" from SAMS, which was basicaly a combination of
tutorial/examples/explanation, but the Wrox "Beginning C# web applications
with VS.NET and Visual Studio.NET" was another good one.
HTH
Lauchlan M

Re: Delphi 8 books

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
I know that Xavier Pacheco is working on one.
tinyurl.com/yu6cn
As is Jon Shemitz:
www.midnightbeach.com/dotnet/

Re: Delphi 8 books

Xavier,
When is your Delphi 8 book coming out? I am really looking forward to
getting it!
Jeff

Re: Delphi 8 books

Jeff Molloy writes:
Xavier,

When is your Delphi 8 book coming out? I am really looking forward to
getting it!

Jeff
Not soon enough. Probably may/june timeframe is what I am told. I'll
keep pushing the publisher.
-- x
------------------------------------
Xapware Technologies Inc.
Manage your projects with
Active! Focus - Get More Done!
www.xapware.com

Re: Delphi 8 books

"Xavier Pacheco (Xapware)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Jeff Molloy writes:

>When is your Delphi 8 book coming out? I am really looking forward to
>getting it!

Not soon enough. Probably may/june timeframe is what I am told. I'll
keep pushing the publisher.

If you let us know how to contact him we may all be able to help you to push
him :)
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
www.cfbsoftware.com

Re: Delphi 8 books

Xavier,
Just tell them you have thousands of people dying to get their hands on this
book. Let them know that without it, they are wallowing in the despairs of
how to code:)
Jeff

Jeff Molloy writes:
Just tell them you have thousands of people dying to get their hands
on this book. Let them know that without it, they are wallowing in
the despairs of how to code:)
I really wish I could influence this. They worry too much about things
like page count. :)
-- x
--
------------------------------------
Xapware Technologies Inc.
Manage your projects with
Active! Focus - Get More Done!
www.xapware.com

Re: Delphi 8 books

"Xavier Pacheco (Xapware)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I really wish I could influence this. They worry too much about things
like page count. :)
Is it high or low?
Maybe get them to publish 2 volumes if too big.
Mike