Database development in Delphi

I have, for a number of years, developed and distributed databases in
Microsoft access 2.0.  I would now like to switch to a language that allows
me to compile the database for distribution, such as Delphi.

I would like to hear from developers who have used Microsoft access, and
switched to Delphi.  I need to know how long it would take to perform tasks
within Delphi compared to Microsoft access.  If possible details of speed
and other issues would be useful.  Any WEB sites of interest would also be
useful.

Many thanks

James
James Willans         (_   _)                      Music and Computing Student
University of Keele     | | __ _ _ _____  ___  ___  email u5...@cs.keele.ac.uk
Keele                   | |/ _' | '_ _  \/ _ \/ __|       u5...@cc.keele.ac.uk
Staffordshire          _| | (_| | | | | |  __/\__ \
ENGLAND               \___|\__,_|_| | |_|\___/|___/

Re:Database development in Delphi

u5...@teach.cs.keele.ac.uk wrote:

>I would like to hear from developers who have used Microsoft access, and
>switched to Delphi.  I need to know how long it would take to perform tasks
>within Delphi compared to Microsoft access.

It takes longer with Delphi, no question about it. How much longer will depend
on what you're doing and how complex the database is. If it's a really large
and complex thing, I wouldn't even consider Access as Delphi is so much
better at handling modularity and complexity.

>If possible details of speed
>and other issues would be useful.

Delphi applications are much faster, require much less memory, load much
faster etc etc

The real difference is that Delphi is a real programming language designed
for real tasks, while Access is a small database with a macro language. (Yeah,
I know they use BASIC, but doing something large in Access is extremely
difficult, since you can't really split it up.)
Delphi allows you to be a lot more structured than you could ever hope for in
Access. Changing the program is also infinitely much easier in Delphi and the
GUI is a lot better, although the Access GUI is better for painting forms.

The conclusion is that for small, simple things where speed isn't important to the
customer I'd use Access. For anything else, I'd use Delphi. (If those were the
only choices, that is.)

>Any WEB sites of interest would also be
>useful.

Use Yahoo and you'll find lots of them.

PS: Please pardon the rambling nature of this post. I came out from my exams
40 minutes ago, and my mind is still in binary dump-mode.

       Lars Marius Garshol
       "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot", Bill Arnett
       http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsga/        http://birk105.studby.uio.no/

Other Threads