tp70 won't work with athlon?

I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

> I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
> some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
> Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
> Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

It has NOTHING to do with Athlon. It is caused by the fact that you are
using Turbo Pascal and you haven't fixed yet your CRT unit. Please,
check:
http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/pascal/runerr200/download.html

Aitor

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

ywwong <yww...@chello.nl> said

>I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
>some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
>Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
>Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

*Sigh* Please read before writing, it saves us all time. Info:

Mini-FAQ posted weekly lists this. Copies in the newsgroup and at
                        http://homepages.force9.net/pascal/faq/clpb-faq.txt
                        http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt
                        ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/doc-net/faqclpb.zip

Also Timo Salmi's FAQ - monthly pointer posted in clpb
                        ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip
                        See #124

And there was no need to post four copies of the request for info - we all read
it the first time - do not forget that you do not get an immediate response on
Usenet and replies may take some time.
--
Pedt

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

>I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
>some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
>Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
>Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

It seems you got a quite old computer before you bought your athlon, because
you didn't get this "runtime error 200" before...
This is caused by the crt-unit when it tries to get the speed of your processor
to calibrate the delay-loop.
There are some quite old fixes in the net, just take altavista and search for
them...

-Oliver Albers

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

> I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
> some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
> Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
> Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

   Whereas many here are willing to help others such as yourself who are
new, there are some guidelines which you'll find useful in the future:
  1. There are 2 FAQs in this NewsGroup which are likely to answer most
newbie questions (and definitely will in this case!).  Looks back a week
or two to see posting for "FAQ" and follow the links.  You'll save a lot
of time and aggravation looking there first, because many questions are
dealt with there.
  2. It does no (extra) good to post your message multiple times.  You
posted/reposted your message here 5 times, and such lack of courtesy
tends to annoy regulars here who are most likely to have an appropriate
answer.  It's far better to post a clear, detailed explanation of your
problem or question (with some sample code or whatever specifics you can)
than it is to flood the NG with multiple posts.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

hmmm I never knew it got posted.
outlook express said it couldn't post and still had a copy of it in the
outbox all the time.

"Pedt Scragg" <p...@signpost-design.co.uk> schreef in bericht

> ywwong <yww...@chello.nl> said
> >I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
> >some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
> >Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
> >Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

> *Sigh* Please read before writing, it saves us all time. Info:

> Mini-FAQ posted weekly lists this. Copies in the newsgroup and at

http://homepages.force9.net/pascal/faq/clpb-faq.txt
>                         http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt
>                         ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/doc-net/faqclpb.zip

> Also Timo Salmi's FAQ - monthly pointer posted in clpb
>                         ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip
>                         See #124

> And there was no need to post four copies of the request for info - we all
read
> it the first time - do not forget that you do not get an immediate
response on
> Usenet and replies may take some time.
> --
> Pedt

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

tp7 and earlier do have a problem with fast processors.  I've seen a fix
posted somewhere, you might check the borland site.  TP13 doesn't have any
problem, though (tp8 = Delphi1 (win3.x), tp9 trhough 13 = Delphi 2 through 5
(win95/98/NT/2000))  The C++ builder uses the same compiler.

TP7 code that doesn't use CRT and DOS units will compile just fine in any of
the above (well, there are some gotchas, of course.  Integer and Cardinal
vary in size according to the processor, for example, but I've still plenty
of TP3 functions I use in Delphi 5)

ywwong <yww...@chello.nl> wrote in message

> I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
> some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
> Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
> Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

JRS:  In article <20000312171427.02801.00002...@ng-bh1.aol.com> of Sun,
12 Mar 2000 22:14:27 in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, OAlbers

<oalb...@aol.com> wrote:

>>I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
>>some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
>>Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
>>Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

>It seems you got a quite old computer before you bought your athlon, because
>you didn't get this "runtime error 200" before...
>This is caused by the crt-unit when it tries to get the speed of your processor
>to calibrate the delay-loop.
>There are some quite old fixes in the net, just take altavista and search for
>them...

It is imprudent to give advice on Turbo/Borland Pascal here unless one
is familiar with both the weekly-posted mini-FAQ and Timo's FAQ (see
sig).  Those give the best answers, which an AltaVista search (or
recourse to the Borland web site) cannot be relied upon to find.

As few of my programs use the Crt unit, I use Bauer's TPPATCH on those
that do.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

I'm sorry if the "flood" disturbs you but I have no real explanation for
this multiple posting.
The only thing I can say is that while I post this msg, Outlook Express said
my ISP's usenet server
wasn't responding. I clicked several times send and receive maybe that
caused the flood.
I'm really really sorry.

"Mike Copeland" <mrc...@primenet.com> schreef in bericht

> > I've got a new computer (AMD Athlon) but when I try to compile
> > some of the older works I've coded and run them it returns error 200.
> > Could it be because I've got an Athlon cause I heard somewhere that
> > Turbo Pascal (or C) can't handle the new processors.

>    Whereas many here are willing to help others such as yourself who are
> new, there are some guidelines which you'll find useful in the future:
>   1. There are 2 FAQs in this NewsGroup which are likely to answer most
> newbie questions (and definitely will in this case!).  Looks back a week
> or two to see posting for "FAQ" and follow the links.  You'll save a lot
> of time and aggravation looking there first, because many questions are
> dealt with there.
>   2. It does no (extra) good to post your message multiple times.  You
> posted/reposted your message here 5 times, and such lack of courtesy
> tends to annoy regulars here who are most likely to have an appropriate
> answer.  It's far better to post a clear, detailed explanation of your
> problem or question (with some sample code or whatever specifics you can)
> than it is to flood the NG with multiple posts.

Re:tp70 won't work with athlon?

I believe that error has to do with some math functions in TP that won't
work properly at the higher CPU speeds.  Check the www.borland.com site for
a fix.

ywwong wrote:

> I'm sorry if the "flood" disturbs you but I have no real explanation for
> this multiple posting.
> The only thing I can say is that while I post this msg, Outlook Express said
> my ISP's usenet server
> wasn't responding. I clicked several times send and receive maybe that
> caused the flood.
> I'm really really sorry.

Don't worry - you are not alone. It happens to everyone from time to
time. A microwave tower can go off line. Wind can blow the dish out of
alignment. Lightning can knock the link off line. A power failure will do
it. Your ISP can get overloaded when everyone logs on at 5:05 pm. A
router can go down when someone accidentally pulls the plug. A hard disk
can crash. Microsoft software is always suspect if it is used anywhere in
the system. Your cat can sit on the mouse. There are lots of reasons.

The best thing is to add a short message saying you are not sure the post
got through. And learn to ignore criticism. A week from now no one will
remember.

Best Regards,

Michael R. Monett
mailto:mkmon...@hotmail.com