Is Delphi Pascal used in Delphi 8 for .NET WinForm ?

2004-04-03 05:23:17 AM
delphi281
I am getting rather confused here. I understand that Delphi 8 for .NET
offers two
flavors, the use of VCL.NET and that of WinForm.
With VCL.NET, I could write Delphi Pascal codes which I am familiar with
but it seems that with the WinForm mode, it is a totally new way of doing
things.
Is the Delphi 8's WinForm still pascal or it is very much J# ?
I could use unmanaged assemblies or activeX with WinForms but how do I
do that if I am using VCL.NET ?
Sorry for sounding silly.
Edwin

Re:Is Delphi Pascal used in Delphi 8 for .NET WinForm ?

At 23:23:17, 02.04.2004, Edwin Lau writes:
With VCL.NET, I could write Delphi Pascal codes which I am familiar with
but it seems that with the WinForm mode, it is a totally new way of
doing things.
Windows.Forms and the VCL.NET are just different libraries. You can both
use them from Delphi for .NET. In .NET it doesn't matter in which .NET
language they are actually written. You can write Windows.Forms
components with Delphi for .NET, but they can also be written in VB.NET
or C# or any of the other .NET languages. To the user, there is no
difference, and no need to translate any files.
Is the Delphi 8's WinForm still pascal or it is very much J# ?
It is part of the .NET Framework. You can use it in Delphi for .NET just
like you were able to use CLX in Delphi 7.
I could use unmanaged assemblies or activeX with WinForms but how do I
do that if I am using VCL.NET ?
The same way.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

Re:Is Delphi Pascal used in Delphi 8 for .NET WinForm ?

Thanks for the quick reply. Is the syntax using WinForms going to be in
Pascal
which I am familiar since having used Delphi or would it be a total relearn
since
it is going to be new to me.
Yup, I understand that the component end can be of any language pretty much
like when I am doing Delphi where the components could be written in
C++Builder
or some ActiveX and I could still be using them with my programminng.
When I import an ActiveX, I see it on the WinForm Palette but I cannot get
it to
appear on the VCL.NET palette. I guess I am missing something here.
Thanks.
Edwin

Re:Is Delphi Pascal used in Delphi 8 for .NET WinForm ?

Simple answer: it is Delphi. Pascal. As always.
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures

At 23:45:42, 02.04.2004, Edwin Lau writes:
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the syntax using WinForms going to be in
Pascal which I am familiar since having used Delphi or would it be a
total relearn since it is going to be new to me.
No, it is used in plain Delphi.
Yup, I understand that the component end can be of any language pretty
much like when I am doing Delphi where the components could be written
When I import an ActiveX, I see it on the WinForm Palette but I cannot
get it to appear on the VCL.NET palette. I guess I am missing something
here.
I guess you will have to wrap it. There is a tool for this. I will look
where you can get it (CodeCentral, I guess).
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft... and the

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:
At 23:45:42, 02.04.2004, Edwin Lau writes:

>Thanks for the quick reply. Is the syntax using WinForms going to
>be in Pascal which I am familiar since having used Delphi or would
>it be a total relearn since it is going to be new to me.

No, it is used in plain Delphi.
Plain Delphi, but very different from the VCL. it is definately a new
framework to learn.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
Useful articles about InterBase and Delphi development:
delphi.weblogs.com/articles

Re:Is Delphi Pascal used in Delphi 8 for .NET WinForm ?

Anders,
Thanks. I tried Visual C# for .Net and although there are some similarities
with Delphi,
the case sensitive issue is really a pain to get used to. I struggled with a
simple program
for hours and then realized I had a simple character case wrong. That is
apart from
getting used to the concept of namespace.
Edwin
"Anders Ohlsson (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>When I import an ActiveX, I see it on the WinForm Palette but I cannot
>get it to appear on the VCL.NET palette. I guess I am missing something
>here.

I guess you will have to wrap it. There is a tool for this. I will look
where you can get it (CodeCentral, I guess).
Thanks. I will check it out. that is one thing holding me back from using
VCL.NET and
that's why the Visual C# or Delphi 8 battle in my head since I already have
Visual C# with
me now.

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. vertexsoftware.com]>
writes news:406de97a$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Plain Delphi, but very different from the VCL. it is definately a new
framework to learn.
Yup, it does look different. From the very simple 'Hello World' example,
I cannot tell if it was C# or Delphi.
I would definitely like to do it in Delphi since it would be easier to work
with.

Edwin Lau writes:
That is
apart from
getting used to the concept of namespace.
If you've been a Delphi programmer, you've been using namespaces all
along. You just think of them as unit names, instead of namespaces.
(Now, before you reply, I know that they aren't /exactly/ the same
thing, but pretty much, and if Edwin thinks of them that way, then
he'll be well on his way to getting it.)
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Edwin Lau writes:
Yup, I understand that the component end can be of any language pretty much
like when I am doing Delphi where the components could be written in
C++Builder
or some ActiveX and I could still be using them with my programminng.

When I import an ActiveX, I see it on the WinForm Palette but I cannot get
it to
appear on the VCL.NET palette. I guess I am missing something here.

There is a project type that allows you to wrap around the ActiveX control.
--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Re:Is Delphi Pascal used in Delphi 8 for .NET WinForm ?

"Phillip Flores" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>When I import an ActiveX, I see it on the WinForm Palette but I cannot
get
>it to
>appear on the VCL.NET palette. I guess I am missing something here.

There is a project type that allows you to wrap around the ActiveX
control.
Phillip,
Thanks. I know I could wrap around a .NET components to a VCL.NET but
I still have not figured out doing it for a pure ActiveX control. I know
that
ActiveX works fine on the WinForm.
Edwin

Re:Is Delphi Pascal used in Delphi 8 for .NET WinForm ?

Plain Delphi, but very different from the VCL. it is definately a new
framework to learn.

On the upside, if the "T" doesn't work on your keyboard, you can get by.

Re:Is Delphi Pascal used in Delphi 8 for .NET WinForm ?

Anders,
Simple answer: it is Delphi. Pascal. As always.
which is it, Delphi or Pascal? <gd&r>

Rick Francken writes:
On the upside, if the "T" doesn't work on your keyboard, you can get
by.
One shouldn't joke about that :-)
I've been having some problems with my laptop keyboard where some keys
stop working (issue currently being investigated by Dell support).
Unfortunately my major project at present is a C# one, and two of the
culprits are the { and } keys. :-(