.NET on Win98 - still no unicode?

2004-09-20 08:27:09 PM
delphi119
I just compiled a simple "hello World" app in C#.
The form only contains a combobox with some Russian
and Arabic entries.
Under WinXP, it displays correctly.
On Win 98SE, the arabic an Russian characters are
replaced by question marks.
Am I correct in the assumption, that the .NET 1.1 framework
has no Unicode support under Windows 98 SE?
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address.

Re:.NET on Win98 - still no unicode?

Yes.
Francisco
Arthur Hoornweg writes:
Am I correct in the assumption, that the .NET 1.1 framework
has no Unicode support under Windows 98 SE?

Re:.NET on Win98 - still no unicode?

... so much for platform-independence...
FL writes:
Yes.

Francisco

Arthur Hoornweg writes:

>Am I correct in the assumption, that the .NET 1.1 framework
>has no Unicode support under Windows 98 SE?
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address.
I had to take this measure to counteract SPAM
flooding my mail box)

Re:.NET on Win98 - still no unicode?

WinForms-Controls are only Wrapper around Win32-Controls (like VCL do),
so there depends on Unicode-Ability of Win32-Controls.
And Win9x/ME has only ANSI-Win32-Controls.

Bernhhard Geyer writes:
WinForms-Controls are only Wrapper around Win32-Controls (like VCL do),
so there depends on Unicode-Ability of Win32-Controls.
And Win9x/ME has only ANSI-Win32-Controls.
While Win98 (U.S.) is unable to even render arabic script
correctly using TextOutW, it strikes me as funny that
Internet Explorer, Word, and even Wordpad are perfectly
capable of both rendering and entering Arabic script when
running on Windows 98.
So the limitation of having ansi-only controls on dotnet under
Win98 is by choice, not by necessity.