Re: What happened to...

2005-01-21 08:29:41 PM
delphi238
Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
>I think in those $2-3, you forgot QA, support, documentation,
>installer, etc.

I sincerely doubt that would cost more than $200,000-300,000.
$200K-300K is 2-4 new staff + equipment for a year.
If that is true, then TP 3.0 was far too expensive at $49, and people
buying a commercial profiler for more than $300 must be right out of
their minds.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably

Re: What happened to...

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
If that is true, then TP 3.0 was far too expensive at $49, and people
buying a commercial profiler for more than $300 must be right out of
their minds.
You're confused, methinks.
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: What happened to...

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>If that is true, then TP 3.0 was far too expensive at $49, and
>people buying a commercial profiler for more than $300 must be
>right out of their minds.

You're confused, methinks.
Why? If a profiler can be produced for $3 per piece, TP at $49 was far
too expensive. Explain what is wrong with this reasoning.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov.

Re: What happened to...

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Why? If a profiler can be produced for $3 per piece, TP at $49 was far
too expensive. Explain what is wrong with this reasoning.
Seperately, no, a profiler could not be produced for $3 per sale. But
luckily for us Delphi isn't sold a piece at a time (compiler (without
optimization), refactorer, bare IDE, search and replace, syncedit,
etc.). Assuming Delphi sells 100,000 units with each new version, $2-4
works out to $200,000 to $400,000 to hire new staff to work on said new
feature. If, somehow, 100,000 is too high, half that only bumps the new
increase to $4-8.
Something tells me few people would have issues parting with $2-4 (or
$4-8) to get an integrated profiler with the product.
Will
--

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>Why? If a profiler can be produced for $3 per piece, TP at $49 was
>far too expensive. Explain what is wrong with this reasoning.

Seperately, no, a profiler could not be produced for $3 per sale. But
luckily for us Delphi isn't sold a piece at a time (compiler (without
optimization), refactorer, bare IDE, search and replace, syncedit,
etc.).
Assuming each would cost $3, you should be able to get Delphi Architect
for $300 or less. I am sure that price would boost sales as well. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Silence is argument carried out by other means."

Re: What happened to...

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Something tells me few people would have issues parting with $2-4 (or
$4-8) to get an integrated profiler with the product.
I think that may very well be the most shockingly naive financial
analysis I have ever seen.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: What happened to...

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
I think that may very well be the most shockingly naive financial
analysis I have ever seen.
And of course you're ready and willing to show how it is naive.
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: What happened to...

See my reply, luckily you can have an integrated profiler for as little
as $2-3.
Well, for starters I think you left out a few costs, the reasoning is a
bit dodgy ;-), and even if it isn't, I would rather spend the $2-$3 on
something of hugely greater value to me :-)
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

Re: What happened to...

I'd rather spend the $2-$3 on
something of hugely greater value to me :-)
like beer ;)

Re: What happened to...

But business people don't often look at it that way. Why wouldn't they
just sell the 100,000 copies without doing any extra work? :-)
Spending $x to get $x back is a waste of time - they want profits :-)
I'm not saying that Borland should not be spending money on extra
features/bug fixes/whatever, BTW
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

Re: What happened to...

like beer ;)
Right :-)

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
And of course you're ready and willing to show how it is naive.
Sure.
Think of it this way. If Borland could add a Profiler for $2 a box,
then they could add /anything/ that costs another person for a mere $2.
In fact, they could hire five people, have them build a new IDE
altogether, and only charge $10 for it.
It's shockingly naive to think that merely adding another person to R&D
is all it takes to add a feature. There's far more to it. There's
pubs, tech support, QA, marketing, integeration, and other
infrastructure issues.
In addition, there is the opportunity costs, a factor about which you
seem utterly unaware. If they are going to hire someone and have them
do a profiler, then that person is /not/ doing something else, and that
something else might be /far/ more valuable to the company than a
profiler.
In addition, adding $2 to the cost of the box doesn't mean that Borland
increases their profits by $2 a box either. Margins are pretty good in
their business, but they aren't 100%.
Just off the top of my head.
--

Jim Cooper writes:
Spending $x to get $x back is a waste of time - they want profits :-)
An excellent point. You don't just spend money to break even, you only
invest in profitable ventures.
--

Jim Cooper writes:

But business people don't often look at it that way. Why wouldn't
they just sell the 100,000 copies without doing any extra work? :-)
Because then they'd lose out on the opportunity to make more money. And
they LOVE money! (see below) ;)
Spending $x to get $x back is a waste of time - they want profits :-)
You gotta spend money to make money. :P Besides, is it a waste of time
if they charge double what I am suggesting it'd cost (in other words,
doubling their investment)? =)
I'm not saying that Borland should not be spending money on extra
features/bug fixes/whatever, BTW
Understood. ;)
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: What happened to...

You gotta spend money to make money. :P
Provided you spend the right amount in the right places :-) Otherwise
I'd be really, really rich now :-)
Besides, is it a waste of time if they charge double what I'm
suggesting it'd cost
I think you've severely underestimated the cost, myself :-) But in any
case, there are techniques for working this sort of stuff out, and I
know for a fact that Borland use them.
There is also the other factor that you have to spend the money before
(usually well before) you make any back, and there is a limit on how
much you can spend before you run out (unless you're Microsoft maybe)
:-) that is why things get prioritised.
So even if Borland work out that writing a profiler would make them
money, they shouldn't necessarily go ahead and do it, since the money
spent on that might be more profitably spent elsewhere.