Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

2005-01-19 10:23:49 PM
delphi273
[...] Otherwise, there are none.
Then show me 'const' parameter passing.
Eric

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

btw, Eric, could you please include the name of the poster you are quoting.
In these long threads, I have no idea who you are responding to.
Drop Outlook and move to Mozilla, it can cope with such bigh threads ;)
This particular one was a reply to Jim.
Eric

Eric Grange writes:
>[...] Otherwise, there are none.

Then show me 'const' parameter passing.

Eric
Why? In .NET, if you want pass-by-reference, you must declare them
explicitly. The only reason for "const" in Delphi is to let the
compiler decide when to use references or pass-by-value, whichever is
faster. And of course the const semantics. The semantics are still the
same in Delphi for .NET.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke."

Eric Grange writes:
>Only for the generated IL though.

Which already means a lot of things, like for instance not having
'const' parameter passing.
But there is pass-by-reference and pass-by-value, for value types who
benefit from it. So what are you missing?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

For some languages, that concept just doesn't appear.
But because some language don't have that concept,
should all languages be punished? ;)
Eric

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

But there is pass-by-reference and pass-by-value, for value types who
benefit from it. So what are you missing?
Passing by reference is a different creature.
Eric

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

Drop Outlook and move to Mozilla, it can cope with such bigh threads ;)
This particular one was a reply to Jim.
He may be like me and often use a different view in newsgroups like this
with lots of threads. I tend to order things so I just get a list of the
latest posts. I replied to a message Max sent to someone else just
yesterday because of that habit :-)
Having said that, I am using Thunderbird, and I don't know where the
option is to put the name of the original poster in :-) It must be
around here somewhere...
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

Eric Grange writes:
>But there is pass-by-reference and pass-by-value, for value types
>who benefit from it. So what are you missing?

Passing by reference is a different creature.

Eric
Ok, what do you mean with "const" parameter passing, then?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Nothing is wrong with California that a rise in the ocean level

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

But because some language don't have that concept,
should all languages be punished? ;)
I was trying to make a comment about the specs you mentioned - they only
apply to IL. Compiler writers are free to do whatever they like in the
languages themselves, there is only ever an issue an the IL level.
I was thinking particularly of functional languages, where the concepts
you were talking about just do not apply.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

Ok, what do you mean with "const" parameter passing, then?
Something different from 'var': you pass by ref, but tell
the compiler the content shouldn't be altered.
Eric

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

Having said that, I am using Thunderbird, and I don't know where the
option is to put the name of the original poster in :-) It must be
around here somewhere...
In mozilla, I just use 'N' to get to the next unread post
and the left arrow to go back to the parent post if hierarchy
isn't visible.
Eric

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

In mozilla, I just use 'N' to get to the next unread post
In this view the N works
and the left arrow to go back to the parent post if hierarchy
isn't visible.
but that doesn't :(
There's a lot of capabilities I havent found yet, though, I am sure

Eric Grange writes:
>Ok, what do you mean with "const" parameter passing, then?

Something different from 'var': you pass by ref, but tell
the compiler the content shouldn't be altered.
Yes, like I said in my other message. The semantics are purely done by
the Delphi compiler, and still available in D/.NET. So the fact that we
can't do a const var yet, or that pass by reference is not done
automatically when const is specified, is unfortunate, but not really a
problem, and not a limitation set by .NET. .NET doesn't enforce const,
but neither does Win32.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

[...] Compiler writers are free to do whatever they like in the
languages themselves, there is only ever an issue an the IL level.
Indeed, but that is where issues such as call conventions matter,
since IL doesn't support it, languages will only be able to support
such functionality cosmetically.
Everything is always possible, ability to do something isn't a
measure of how powerful a platform is, as at worst, you can almost
always write an emulator and do whatever needs be done.
Eric

Re: Borland is neglecting Delphi for Win32 badly

but not really a problem
That's a personal judgement.
Eric