Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

2005-02-05 03:16:28 AM
delphi132
"Will DeWitt Jr." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I'm trying to imagine any kind of code that simply would /not/ benefit
from native 64-bit compilation.

Ok, I am done thinking. I couldn't come up with anything.
Maybe you should think about costs as well, not just benefits. Change is
never free.

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
I'm trying to imagine any kind of code that simply would not benefit
from native 64-bit compilation.
Code expected to run on an computer in my department.
That was easy.
--
Mike Swaim XXXX@XXXXX.COM at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics

Mike Swaim writes:
Code expected to run on an computer in my department.

That was easy.
Right, and I suppose you guys will /never/ *ever* buy a new computer...
/ever/.
Yup. You're right, that /was/ easy!
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Bob Dawson writes:

>Rather, for all Delphi users who (1) happen to be writing quite
>specific types of code (2) for specific target markets.

I'm trying to imagine any kind of code that simply would not benefit
from native 64-bit compilation.
Is that important at all? Problem is: how many pieces of code would
benefit enough to make people buy a 64 bit system, Win64 and a new
Delphi to be able to get the benefit?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Why was I with her? She reminds me of you. In fact, she reminds me

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Mike Swaim writes:

>Code expected to run on an computer in my department.
>
>That was easy.

Right, and I suppose you guys will never ever buy a new computer...
ever.
What if they buy a new one in 5 years?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Mike Swaim writes:

>Code expected to run on an computer in my department.
any

>That was easy.

Right, and I suppose you guys will never ever buy a new computer...
ever.
Sure we do. We buy computers all the time. But I don't want to have
to troubleshoot why an app will work on my computer, but not Rumiana's,
or worse, not on the computer of the doctor who's paying both of our
salaries.
--
Mike Swaim XXXX@XXXXX.COM at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics
XXXX@XXXXX.COM or XXXX@XXXXX.COM at work
ICBM: 29.763N 95.363W|Disclaimer: Yeah, like I speak for MD Anderson.

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

Well unless 128bit chips are common place, yes he will
benefit from 64 bit code. Now if .Net has finally proved
itself, they may chose to re-write the code into .Net, but
it might be a nice option to open the project, select 64bit
as the EXE output, and just compile. If they have used
pointers, then maybe another day or two of work.
I am surprised as a team b member you didn't think of this
answer.
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Will DeWitt Jr. writes:

>Mike Swaim writes:
>

>>Code expected to run on an computer in my department.
>>
>>That was easy.
>
>Right, and I suppose you guys will never ever buy a new computer...
>ever.

What if they buy a new one in 5 years?
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

OK, lets warp 12 months into the future.
Now what are you going to buy? I mean eventually you are
going to replace your computer? Or is your computer you
have now the last computer you plan on buying? Of course if
you buy something in the next 6 months, maybe you can go out
of your way to buy a 32bit system instead of 64bit. I can't
think of any reason to do that, but people do strange things
sometimes.

Thomas Miller writes:
Well unless 128bit chips are common place, yes he will benefit from
64 bit code. Now if .Net has finally proved itself, they may chose
to re-write the code into .Net, but it might be a nice option to open
the project, select 64bit as the EXE output, and just compile. If
they have used pointers, then maybe another day or two of work.
In 5 years, who knows what people use then? <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Learning is what most {*word*62}s will do for a living in the 21st century."

Thomas Miller writes:
OK, lets warp 12 months into the future.

Now what are you going to buy? I mean eventually you are going to
replace your computer?
I will buy a 64 bit model, probably. But what I buy is not important.
What the market will be is important. If only a small part of computers
is already 64 bit, it is probably not a good market for Borland yet. So
I might want a 64 bit Delphi myself, but that won't change the
viability for Borland, and THEY decide, not I, not you.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"I must confess, I was born at a very early age."

John Jacobson writes:
Maybe you should think about costs as well, not just benefits. Change is
never free.

And maybe we shouldn't think about the costs at all since we are the customers.

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
Will DeWitt Jr. writes:

>Sure, and shortly after Windows '95 hit we saw the flood gates open on
>32-bit software.

If you call 2 years "shortly", sure. Aside from that, 64-bit doesn't
make as huge a difference in the OS as 32 bit did to 16, so I expect it
will be even longer before the "flood gates open".

I believe Delphi 2 came out shortly after Windows '95.
It's a good thing Borland created Delphi 2
before the "flood gates were open",
instead of waiting 2 years to see if the "flood gates open".
I thought Delphi 2 was a more attractive product compared
to the products Microsoft was offering at the time.
Yes, I purchase a license for Delphi 2.
I wasn't doing it because the "flood gates were open" but
rather to invest in the future (of my business).

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

In 5 years, who knows what people use then? <g>
Abacus
Kostya

Re: [Delphi 64-bit] Observation for the day

In article <42043ab3$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
I believe Delphi 2 came out shortly after Windows '95.
My version of Delphi 2 has a time stamp of 6th of November 1996.
--
Jon Tveten
En Bæring i Australia

Jon Tveten writes:
In article <42043ab3$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...

>I believe Delphi 2 came out shortly after Windows '95.

My version of Delphi 2 has a time stamp of 6th of November 1996.

I believe Windows '95 shipped at the end of 1995.
So it took them a year or under to get Delphi 2 out.
Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.