More on Robert Coates plan

2005-07-28 04:08:55 AM
delphi119
biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050727/daw029.html
Doychin

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

"Doychin Bondzhev" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
My plan will also ensure that Borland's customers and employees are made a
priority. For that reason I'd favor a transaction for Delphi that would
result in a new private company ...
</quote>
I've suggested that myself in the last 18 months and still think its a great
idea.
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

<quote>

My plan will also ensure that Borland's customers and employees are made
priority. For that reason I'd favor a transaction for Delphi that
would
result in a new private company ...

</quote>

I've suggested that myself in the last 18 months and still think its a
great
idea.
I don't think it is a bad idea to toss around; I haven't thought through all
the ramifications and a lot depends on the specifics. He did also say that
he would advocate a sale of Delphi/Deploy technologies and then a lot
depends on the buyer.
Even if he is and has been a thorn in the side of many companies, I am glad
someone is at least *talking* about Delphi in press releases as a
significant product rather than the continual ALM/SDO we've been hearing
about.

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

"Brian Moelk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
Even if he is and has been a thorn in the side of many companies, I am glad
someone is at least *talking* about Delphi in press releases as a
significant product rather than the continual ALM/SDO we've been hearing
about.

It is my considered opinion that Delphi's best interests have diverged from
Borland's.
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

"Doychin Bondzhev" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:42e7e9d4$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050727/daw029.html
He's got it wrong. The ALM, being a niche offering,
should be jettisoned from Borland. Not Delphi.

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

I Agree.
Delphi represents more the essence of Borland and not ALM. ALM remember more
the 'Inprise-era', it deserves their space
but not with Borland name. If ALM is so good (i think it really it's) it has
to show it by itself.
Saludos
Sebastian
"TObject" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?en el mensaje

"Doychin Bondzhev" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050727/daw029.html

He's got it wrong. The ALM, being a niche offering,
should be jettisoned from Borland. Not Delphi.

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

It is my considered opinion that Delphi's best interests have diverged
from
Borland's.
Yeah, I can see that. The devil is in the details though. The new company
must be adequately funded and most of the existing Delphi-oriented employees
need to be retained.
If Delphi is acquired by someone, who the buyer is makes a huge difference.
Potential buyers have been discussed here before: Sun, Oracle, HP,
MS...Novell, Symantec ;). Maybe Apple? Apple would be interesting.
Regardless, it is something that I am going to reserve judgement about until
all the details are flushed out. it is just way too early to tell what's
going to happen with Borland.

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

"Brian Moelk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>It is my considered opinion that Delphi's best interests have diverged
from
>Borland's.

Yeah, I can see that. The devil is in the details though. The new
company
must be adequately funded and most of the existing Delphi-oriented
employees
need to be retained.

If Delphi is acquired by someone, who the buyer is makes a huge
difference.
Potential buyers have been discussed here before: Sun, Oracle, HP,
MS...Novell, Symantec ;). Maybe Apple? Apple would be interesting.

Regardless, it is something that I am going to reserve judgement about until
all the details are flushed out. it is just way too early to tell what's
going to happen with Borland.

Delphi needs to go private. Period. If Coates can make that happen then
that is fantastic.
The general consensus has always been that Delphi never has enough
development resources even though the product brings in millions of dollars
in revenue.
And why is that? The explanation has always been "share holder value" .
Well, let's take the share holder out of the equation. Make Delphi
employee-owned and give the product the development resources that it has
earned through its own revenue.
Where do I sign up?
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

"Brian Moelk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Delphi needs to go private. Period. If Coates can make that happen
then
>that is fantastic.

That may be only *one* of the possibilities Coates has in mind.
According to the quote I posted in my original message in this thread that
is exactly what he *says* he wants to do.
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

Delphi needs to go private. Period. If Coates can make that happen then
that is fantastic.
That may be only *one* of the possibilities Coates has in mind. So like I
said, it is probably wise to wait and see before passing judgement one way or
another. Besides, Coates might not be able to persuade the majority
stockholders of any change at all.
The general consensus has always been that Delphi never has enough
development resources even though the product brings in millions of
dollars
in revenue.
Perhaps, I don't know the specific numbers so it is tough to say.
And why is that? The explanation has always been "share holder value" .
Well, let's take the share holder out of the equation. Make Delphi
employee-owned and give the product the development resources that it has
earned through its own revenue.
The new company would need a decent amount of seed money. I doubt the
existing employees would be able to fund it themselves. And the "problem"
with getting investors to fund that kind of venture, is that those investors
want a return on their investment and will push any private company to go
public.

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

According to the quote I posted in my original message in this thread that
is exactly what he *says* he wants to do.
But he might not be able to convince the majority share holders to do so,
and he also says:
"I believe that Borland can maximize the value of the Delphi and the Deploy
(Visibroker, Borland Application Server and related software) product groups
by spinning them off or selling them as soon as possible."
It's not clear cut that that is what will happen even if Coates "favors" it.
ISTM, his priority lies in refocusing Borland around the ALM stuff, which
indicates that he'd be willing to compromise on what he wants for Delphi.
I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but I am not going to get my hopes up just
because this Coates guy is making some noise about it. At this point in
time, what's most important for Delphi IMO, is what Borland does with
DeXter.

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

"Doychin Bondzhev" wrote
biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050727/daw029.html
FWIW, he has a very intriguing proposal about Delphi. Would love to hear
more on this particular subject.

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

"Brian Moelk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>It is my considered opinion that Delphi's best interests have diverged>
>from Borland's.
<snip>
Regardless, it is something that I am going to reserve judgement about until
all the details are flushed out. it is just way too early to tell what's
going to happen with Borland.
Hi, Brian,
I think you mean "fleshed out." ;-)
OTOH, ...
--
Kirk Halgren
"OLE's demands on system resources are so high that it is tempting to think

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

I think you mean "fleshed out." ;-)
LOL. Yes I did.

Re:More on Robert Coates plan

I've suggested that myself in the last 18 months and still think its
a great idea.
All fine, if the new company has a worldwide sales/marketing AND
support infrastructure at hand. This is imo the main issue ...
--
Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
Newsgroup archive at www.tamaracka.com/search.htm