Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

2005-12-17 01:24:05 AM
delphi251
Avatar in the "points scoring" thread mentioned an idea that I have taken
and expanded thusly:
One way to encourage community members to take over management of various
Fastcode Community tasks, is to tie particular activities to a clearly
defined points matrix. This way everyone who participates across the board
gets rewarded.
I suggest taking the "list of tasks" Dennis C. posted a few weeks ago and
allocating points towards towards each successfully completed task.
In this way all participants in the Fastcode project, even non-ASM
contributors get rewarded and recognized to some degree. I suggest this
will promote not only participation but a "sense of inclusion" for all
participants.
Thoughts?
--
Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Hi Dennis,
One way to encourage community members to take over management of various
Fastcode Community tasks, is to tie particular activities to a clearly
defined points matrix. This way everyone who participates across the
board
gets rewarded.
Something like this is really needed. There are many people that contribute
in ways that do not currently give them points, and thus a standing in the
"winners list". Consequently they do not get the recognition they deserve.
Regards,
Pierre

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Avatar in the "points scoring" thread mentioned an idea that I have
taken and expanded thusly:
Thoughts?
Obviously I'd agree, especially if the people important to FastCode
(being mostly Dennis and the usual winners) do too.
--
The Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Hi All
We could could define that matrix and then vote for the constants in each
case.
eg.
Target Winner K1 = 0-100 point
Target entry K2 = 0-100 point
Creating a K3 = 0.0.1 B&V release increment 0-100 point
Creating a K4 = 0.1.0 B&V release increment 0-100 point
Creating a K5 = 1.0.0 B&V release increment 0-100 point
Run one benchmark K6 = 0-100 point
Run one validation K7 = 0-100 point
Adding benchmark or validation result to spreadsheet K8 = 0-100 point
Creating a library xxxx K9 = 0-100 point
The old system is K1 = 10 and K2 = 1, K3,K4.... = 0
Democracy rules = let us vote for K1.....K9....
The old point systems intention is to create a very tough competition to be
the Fastcoder of the year. A good fastcoder is one that is good at coding
fast code. The 1 point for creating a target entry is loosers point with the
purpose of not making me look to bad ;-)
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Hi Again
In the old days there was no point in awarding points for any tasks because
I did them all .... nearly all.
John has been the winner every year because he was making most winner
functions.
The scoring simple was as simple as possible to make it easy to use and
understand.
I have nothing against a voting for a new system. I hope that many people
will vote.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Target Winner K1 = 0-100 point
The most important one IMO. Should be 100 points.
Target entry K2 = 0-100 point
To keep current ratio (which i think is ok) 10 points.
Creating a K3 = 0.0.1 B&V release increment 0-100 point
Creating a K4 = 0.1.0 B&V release increment 0-100 point
Creating a K5 = 1.0.0 B&V release increment 0-100 point
IMO it should be about managing the B&V from the start until the final
determination of winning contributions. Considering the fact that very
much work goes into a B&V, but K1 is still the most important one i
would suggest something like 50. These points would be sharable if
multiple people work on one B&V.
Run one benchmark K6 = 0-100 point
Run one validation K7 = 0-100 point
These are of course also very important, but they require nothing but
CPU time. Also one challenge may contain many benchmark and validation
runs. I'd suggest something like 5 points, possibly less.
Adding benchmark or validation result to spreadsheet K8 = 0-100 point
Same as for K6 & K7.
Creating a library xxxx K9 = 0-100 point
Rather important (and hasn't always got the attention it deserved).
Much less work than making a B&V however. 25?
--
The Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Actually the points discussion deserves it is own thread.
--
The Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

"Avatar Zondertau" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM (please reply to newsgroup)>wrote in
message news:43a32827$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Actually the points discussion deserves it is own thread.

This is.
--
Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/Project:
www.fastcodeproject.org/

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Hi Avatar etc.
We could define the list and then vote. K1 will be the average of all votes,
K2 will be......
People need to vote fairly offcourse, not voting 0 or 100 to bend the score
maximally. A secret voting perhaps?
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

We could define the list and then vote. K1 will be the average of all
votes, K2 will be......

People need to vote fairly offcourse, not voting 0 or 100 to bend the
score maximally. A secret voting perhaps?
A secret vote is not needed. There are three destinct ways to determine
the result: mean, median and mode. I suggest using the median, because:
- You can manipulate with the mean by voting for a number more extreme
than you want (like you said)
- The mode may lead to a situation where a minority decides the
magnitude of the number. Consider these outcomes: 5, 10, 15, 100,
100.
Here the mode (100) would not satisfy the majority, but the median
(15) would do much better
The median doesn't allow people to manipulate with the results and is
most likely to please a majority.
--

message news:43a32b08$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>We could define the list and then vote. K1 will be the average of all
>votes, K2 will be......
>
>People need to vote fairly offcourse, not voting 0 or 100 to bend the
>score maximally. A secret voting perhaps?

A secret vote is not needed. There are three destinct ways to determine
the result: mean, median and mode. I suggest using the median, because:
The Yahoo! Fastcode Group has a voting engine all ready to go. You can use
it anytime you are ready.
--
Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/.org/

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Hi
The Yahoo! Fastcode Group has a voting engine all ready to go. You can
use
it anytime you are ready.
We could soon.
Median sounds proper.
Dennis

Dennis Landi writes:
Avatar in the "points scoring" thread mentioned an idea that I have
taken and expanded thusly:

One way to encourage community members to take over management of
various Fastcode Community tasks, is to tie particular activities to
a clearly defined points matrix. This way everyone who participates
across the board gets rewarded.
As you can see in the other thread, I am also advocating this.
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

My (very personal) opinion:
Target Winner K1 = 0-100 point
100
Target entry K2 = 0-100 point
5
Creating a K3 = 0.0.1 B&V release increment 0-100 point
Creating a K4 = 0.1.0 B&V release increment 0-100 point
0
Creating a K5 = 1.0.0 B&V release increment 0-100 point
20
Run one benchmark K6 = 0-100 point
Run one validation K7 = 0-100 point
Adding benchmark or validation result to spreadsheet K8 = 0-100 point
0
Creating a library xxxx K9 = 0-100 point
50
And of course:
Porting to an older version of Delphi:
5 :-)
(The last one is not very serious, the others are)
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
Gallery: web.telia.com/~u16122508/gallery/index.htm

Re:Expanding the points system to encourage Community Management of Tasks.

Hi
I tried awarding special prizes for making libraries in the past. Zero
prizes were claimed ! Sad, but true.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen