Fastcode FillChar B&V ver 1.6.4

2007-01-18 02:38:54 AM
delphi87
I have added a new function to this B&V (following the discussion by Pierre
and Eric) to test the performance of using REP STOSD within FillChar.
Initial indications are that this is now faster than using MOV's or the FPU
(as in the current RTL version)
My new function is FillChar_JOH_IA32_4
--
regards,
John

Re:Fastcode FillChar B&V ver 1.6.4

Hi John
Good.
Did you update the functionsize file?
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Fastcode FillChar B&V ver 1.6.4

Hi Dennis,

Did you update the functionsize file?

It was missing, I uploaded it together with some benchmark results.
Regards,
Jouni
--
The Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/

Re:Fastcode FillChar B&V ver 1.6.4

Hi
>Did you update the functionsize file?

It was missing, I uploaded it together with some benchmark results.
This means that this B&V release was also bad.
I do not understand why John refuses to update it.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Fastcode FillChar B&V ver 1.6.4

"Dennis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi

>>Did you update the functionsize file?
>>

>It was missing, I uploaded it together with some benchmark results.

This means that this B&V release was also bad.

I do not understand why John refuses to update it.
This was a quick test to check if the use of REP STOSD within FillChar was
worthwhile. From Jouni's B&V results, it would appear not.
The results do however differ greatly from Eric and Pierre's findings, so
further analysis may be worthwhile.
--
regards,
John

Re:Fastcode FillChar B&V ver 1.6.4

Hi John
This was a quick test to check if the use of REP STOSD within FillChar was
worthwhile. From Jouni's B&V results, it would appear not.
But you released it as a normal B&V and it got a normal B&V version number.
Therefore I conclude that it should be a proper release and it is not. The
icon is also wrong.
Which compiler is it build with.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Fastcode FillChar B&V ver 1.6.4

Hi
We need to make a proper release and I will run validations and benchmarks
when that is done.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re:Fastcode FillChar B&V ver 1.6.4

Hi
www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html
"The one prerequisite for a developer committing to the mainline is that
they can correctly build their code. This, of course, includes passing the
build tests."
"When the mainline build does break, however, it is important that it gets
fixed fast"
"Since the developer who commits is responsible for this, that developer
needs to monitor the mainline build so they can fix it if it breaks. A
corollary of this is that you shouldn't go home until the mainline build has
passed with any commits you've added late in the day."
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen