Statistical approach to diagnosing D2005 problems?

2005-01-11 09:03:23 PM
delphi263
Is possible that Borland could make a diagnostic application
available that would produce a report of the user system's
configuration that could be e-mailed back to Borland?
The idea being to figure out which aspects of the users'
systems are causing problems with which aspects of the
D2005 IDE.
It could be something similar that they did a few years ago
to analyze Delphi users' component usage.
The report would of course also need some check boxes
or other input that could be sorted on as well as remark
fields.
Regards, JohnH

Re:Statistical approach to diagnosing D2005 problems?

John Herbster writes:

Is possible that Borland could make a diagnostic application
available that would produce a report of the user system's
configuration that could be e-mailed back to Borland?
The idea being to figure out which aspects of the users'
systems are causing problems with which aspects of the
D2005 IDE.
Actually its a real shame windows ditched the macro recorder, because
you could make a macro that recreates your problem for someone to see
working or not on another machine - much like a test case :)

Re:Statistical approach to diagnosing D2005 problems?

Is possible that Borland could make a diagnostic application
available that would produce a report of the user system's
configuration that could be e-mailed back to Borland?
The idea being to figure out which aspects of the users'
systems are causing problems with which aspects of the
D2005 IDE.
You mean something like Madexcept (www.madshi.net)?
Great component. I had one case where it allowed me to determint it was the hardware configuration on a client's machine that was causing my software to crash.
Kevin
--
Software for resource managers and researchers
www.ecostats.com

Re:Statistical approach to diagnosing D2005 problems?

Test Complete has Test Recorder.
Which is almost the same thing.
Edwin
"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

John Herbster writes:
Is possible that Borland could make a diagnostic application
available that would produce a report of the user system's
configuration that could be e-mailed back to Borland?
The idea being to figure out which aspects of the users'
systems are causing problems with which aspects of the
D2005 IDE.
We already have this feature implemented in Delphi 2005. It uploads the
report to QualityCentral.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

John Herbster writes:

Is possible that Borland could make a diagnostic application
available that would produce a report of the user system's
configuration that could be e-mailed back to Borland?
The idea being to figure out which aspects of the users'
systems are causing problems with which aspects of the
D2005 IDE.
John said it exists, I will tell you how to activate it <g>
2 ways
Download my Delphi Config Manager and create a configuration and enable
the following package $(BDS)\Bin\exceptiondiag90.bpl
Alternatively
run regedit
under HKEY_CURRENT_USER
navigate to \software\borland\bds\3.0\known Ide packages
locate the name $(BDS)\Bin\exceptiondiag90.bpl and set the data to
something (as long as it isn't blank)
restart IDE
Note if you change this value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE any new
configurations you run (using DCM or -r reg key) will automatically
enabled it.
Whenever you get an exception you will have to option to upload the
report into QualityCentral. You can also add some steps and a
description.
However note that some exceptions don't cause the more advanced dialog
to display so they can not be sent to QC.
cheers,
--
QC Client: www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/QC/
Blog: jedqc.blogspot.com/

Re:Statistical approach to diagnosing D2005 problems?

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
>a diagnostic application ... that would produce a
>report of the user system's configuration that could
>be e-mailed back to Borland?
We already have this feature implemented in Delphi 2005.
It uploads the report to QualityCentral.
That's good of course, but
how do you learn which configurations are *not* a problem.
I was thinking more of an app to be run at times other than
when in the middle of a problem, just to try to develop stats
between customer happiness and machine configuration.

JED writes:
John said it exists, I will tell you how to activate it <g>
Install update 1. The installer is supposed to turn it back on. If it
doesn't, it is a bug.
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
JED writes:

>John said it exists, I will tell you how to activate it <g>

Install update 1. The installer is supposed to turn it back on. If it
doesn't, it is a bug.
Ah ok. I had it turned on before updating so wouldn't have noticed.
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
JED writes:

>John said it exists, I will tell you how to activate it <g>

Install update 1. The installer is supposed to turn it back on. If it
doesn't, it is a bug.

I have the update installed and I just checked mine. Under HKey_Current_User the
data value is blank. Under KHey_Local_Machine the data value is (Untitled). Does
that mean it is activated? If so then how do you use it? I have never seen
anything that would send a report to QC.

Rick Hollerich writes:
the data value is (Untitled). Does that mean it is activated? If so
then how do you use it? I have never seen anything that would send a
report to QC.
If you have an exception in the IDE while developing, you should get a
"send" button on the exception dialog to submit the "incident report"
to QC.
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Rick Hollerich writes:

>the data value is (Untitled). Does that mean it is activated? If so
>then how do you use it? I have never seen anything that would send a
>report to QC.

If you have an exception in the IDE while developing, you should get a
"send" button on the exception dialog to submit the "incident report"
to QC.

I guess I haven't noticed the button. Thought there was only the Ok button on
the message when I received exceptions. I will have to look better when it
happens again.

Rick Hollerich writes:
I guess I haven't noticed the button. Thought there was only the Ok
button on the message when I received exceptions. I will have to look
better when it happens again.
I think if you had the madshi exception thing installed it might hide
it, also, you do need update 1. It didnt seem to be there in the
original release.

Liz writes:
I think if you had the madshi exception thing installed it might hide
it, also, you do need update 1. It didnt seem to be there in the
original release.
The package was delivered, but there was a minor issue w/ localized
dialogs, so it was turned off by default. it is turned on by default in
update 1.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
What's going on? calendar.borland.com

Re:Statistical approach to diagnosing D2005 problems?

John,
do I need to have to turn on the internal de{*word*81} as well? I use the
English version, Update 1 and do not see any additional buttons. May be
I am just blind? :-)