Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

2007-03-31 03:27:21 PM
delphi198
"Be not the first to adopt the new nor the last to abandon the old."
Unless that is where your market is, I guess.

Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

"Brandon Staggs" wrote on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:58:18 -0500:
D2007's IDE is hands down the best... don't get me wrong. it is just
not quite ready.
I read this blog post which seems to echo my thoughts on the matter:
memyselfanddelphi.blogspot.com/2007/03/did-codegear-rush-out-2-delphi-products.html
I really wish CodeGear was privately held rather than under the rules
governing publicly held companies. But obviously that is not possible
now.
CodeGear has to quickly fix this problem. They simply must, as fast
as possible, fix these nagging issues that make Delphi 2007 appear as an
unfinished product. I do not want to see the IDE I have loved for so
long go down in flames.
D2007 has so much potential -- it has better Vista support than
Microsoft's dev tools! Get the thing *fixed now* and press the
advantage while you still can!
--
Brandon Staggs
www.swordsearcher.com

Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

Graham Powell writes:
Original fix to the Forms.pas is still the best solution
FWIW, my fixes don't alter Forms.pas in any way -- I can not modify it
(at least not in the source) because my apps are packaged-based.
I also can not check the icon issue if Aero is required for that, because
my Vista machine doesn't have enough video RAM (yes, I am working
towards fixing that).
When I have a few moments, I will blog my "fixes", which I have been
meaning to do for a few days now.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:23:42 +0100, Liz
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Well you can certainly archive the install files, Im sure we would be
able to for patches too
<Mode 'old and cynical'='ON'>
But that is exactly what I thought I would be /sure/ to be able to do with
Microsoft patches as well - set AutoUpdate to "download only" and then
copy those files to use on my home (non-broadband) machines. After all,
they're all running XP Pro, all set up the same way (and mostly from the
same manufacturer)
/Surely/ the auto-downloaded files would be the exact same .exe's and
..msi's?
/Surely/ if (when) I have to reinstall the O/S, I wouldn't have to
re-download those patches?
Lesson: Never underestimate how "creative" a programmer can be when the
only systems s/he ever experience have permanently available, high-speed &
low-error connections.
Transferring 10MB or 50MB too much over an office LAN may be only a minor
inconvenience, but have you ever tried to find out how to stop MS's
"Intelligent" Background Transfer Service downloading XP-SP2 over a
crackly dial-up line?
/Surely/ I should be able to just right-click on the yellow shield and
select "stop"?
</Mode>
--
Paul Scott
Information Management Systems

Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

David Erbas-White writes:

Here's a dirty little secret of mine -- I never made a single Windows
3.1 application. I didn't need to. DOS programs worked just fine in
Windows 3.1, and it wasn't until Windows 95 came out that my
end-users really felt the 'need' for a GUI based application.
Well, for what it is worth, we STILL have a customer who's sticking to
our old DOS program that we made them years ago. They just don't see
the need to have us redevelop the whole thing under Windows... :)
--
Best regards,
Jonathan Neve
More information : www.microtec.fr/copycat

I writes:
When I have a few moments, I will blog my "fixes", which I have been
meaning to do for a few days now.
blogs.teamb.com/davenottage/archive/2007/04/03/33687.aspx
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:4611c257$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
I writes:

>When I have a few moments, I will blog my "fixes", which I have been
>meaning to do for a few days now.

blogs.teamb.com/davenottage/archive/2007/04/03/33687.aspx

Nice,
But I have solved it in an other way.
Program Project1
Forms,
.
.
.
.
.
FrmSplash := TFrmSplash.Create(nil);
FrmSplash.show;
FrmSplash.Update;
Application.Initialize;
Application.MainFormOnTaskbar := True;
Application.Title := 'App Title';
Application.CreateForm(TFrmMain, FrmMain);
.
.
.
Application.Run;
And in the main form FormShow()
procedure TFrmMain.FormShow(Sender: TObject);
begin
.
.
.
.
.
FrmSplash.close
FrmSplash.free;
if not(GetWinVersion = wvWinVista) then
Application.MainFormOnTaskBar := false;
end;
This works fin for me both in XP and Vista.
---
Svein

Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

This is a better solution than modifying the Forms.pas but for me it does
not work for Vista. However it does if I take out the IF condition
if not(GetWinVersion = wvWinVista) then
Just do this regardless of the OS:
Application.MainFormOnTaskBar := false;
One slight thing that may cause the difference, but I don't see why, is that
I free the Splash and set the MainFormOnTaskBar to false after a timeout and
not in the ShowForm.
Graham
"Svein Berger" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"Graham Powell" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
This is a better solution than modifying the Forms.pas but for me it
does not work for Vista. However it does if I take out the IF
condition
Yes, that works for me too. I have now removed the IF part.
Thanks
Svein

Brandon Staggs writes:
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" wrote on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:53:14 +0930:

>dmc writes:
>
>>www.brandonstaggs.com/2007_03_01_blog-archive.html
>The issues described certainly aren't holding back our (my business')
>apps from going to production.

I'm glad that is the case, but as the blog entry is mine:
Is there some reason you don't allow comments?
--
-Steve
R&D Staff Engineer - CodeGear

Svein Berger writes:
But I have solved it in an other way.

FrmSplash := TFrmSplash.Create(nil);
FrmSplash.show;
FrmSplash.Update;

Application.Initialize;
Application.MainFormOnTaskbar := True;
Application.Title := 'App Title';
Application.CreateForm(TFrmMain, FrmMain);
.
.
.
Application.Run;
Using that solution, there is still no window in the taskbar when the
splash screen shows (at least under XP), unless of course you override
CreateParams as per my solution.
In my apps I usually have a login screen before the main form loads,
and having no window in the taskbar means having to use alt-tab to
switch to the app if the user has switched to something else.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

"Steve Trefethen (Delphi R&D)" wrote on Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:01:40
-0700:
Brandon Staggs writes:
>"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" wrote on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:53:14 +0930:
>
>>dmc writes:
>>
>>>www.brandonstaggs.com/2007_03_01_blog-archive.html
>>The issues described certainly aren't holding back our (my business')
>>apps from going to production.
>
>I'm glad that is the case, but as the blog entry is mine:

Is there some reason you don't allow comments?
I set up my blog a long time ago on an early version of Blogger when
comment spam was a massive problem so I didn't include it in my
template. There are all sorts of things I need to add to it... one
day.
By the way, I have also blogged about Dave's workarounds, just to be
"fair and balanced" and all that. And as soon as you get a hotfix out
for the forms.pas issues, I will be sure to do so again.
--
Brandon Staggs
www.swordsearcher.com

Re: Delphi 2007 and the Taskbar

This is of course true, but in my case the splash screen just pops up for
about couple of seconds and then goes away.
So the conclusion is to pick which solution suits your needs.
I assume Borland will actually fix this problem in some update.
Graham
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Brandon Staggs writes:
I set up my blog a long time ago on an early version of Blogger when
comment spam was a massive problem so I didn't include it in my
template.
Note that these days Blogger supports CAPTCHAs and that it is built
into the default Blogger without needing any kind of extension.
How to ask questions the smart way:

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" wrote on 4 Apr 2007 06:19:03 -0800:
Brandon Staggs writes:

>I set up my blog a long time ago on an early version of Blogger when
>comment spam was a massive problem so I didn't include it in my
>template.

Note that these days Blogger supports CAPTCHAs and that it is built
into the default Blogger without needing any kind of extension.
Yuep -- some day I will update my blog... I am using a custom template so
it's not just a switch to flip. I also have problems with my RSS feed
not linking properly. Lots of work to do when I get some other *real*
work done. :-)
--
Brandon Staggs
www.swordsearcher.com