How about kylix?

2006-08-13 06:18:48 PM
delphi78
Does Devco re-consider on kylix project?

Re:How about kylix?

sakchai writes:
Does Devco re-consider on kylix project?

a Turbo Kylix !

Re:How about kylix?

Hi,
Rod writes:
>Does Devco re-consider on kylix project?
a Turbo Kylix !
Yes, that would be cool. I would definitely buy it, if it was updated to work
with current Linux distributions.
MfG
twm

Re:How about kylix?

Yes, that would be cool. I would definitely buy it, if it was updated to work
with current Linux distributions.

I think that was one of the big problems, too many Linux distributions.
That and no market.

Re:How about kylix?

Hi,
Craig writes:
>Yes, that would be cool. I would definitely buy it, if it was updated to work
>with current Linux distributions.
I think that was one of the big problems, too many Linux distributions.
That and no market.
When Kylix 3 was released, it worked on any Linux distribution I tried.
Unfortunately that changed after a while because of changes in the Linux
kernel. If DevCo were to release a new version, ongoing support is a must.
Regarding the "no market" argument: Yes, the big problem is that most Linux
users don't want to pay for anyting. OTOH there is just nothing available
that can even start to compete with Kylix, apart from maybe Eclipse. But
many people still use a simple text editor for programming, that's
something I don't understand.
(I bought it twice, once with Delphi 7 and once later on when SuSE sold it
in Germany.)
MfG
twm

Re:How about kylix?

>>Does Devco re-consider on kylix project?
>a Turbo Kylix !

Yes, that would be cool. I would definitely buy it,
+1

Re:How about kylix?

sakchai writes:
Does Devco re-consider on kylix project?
IMHO, it would be interesting if Delphi Win32 and Delphi.NET
respectively had a Linux compile target.
That means a sort of supported CrossKylix, which could for
example be available only in PRO versions upwards.
Cheers,
Andrew

Re:How about kylix?

Yes! The whole idea of "TURBO EXPLORER" is to lower the cost of
programming and grow the market. Non-traditional programmers like
"other" engineers are one target audience. For some of those folks,
Linux is the preferred desktop operating system. See the NASA JPL =>
searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1157697,00.html
Since Linux can be obtained for FREE, it would make a whole bunch of
sense to resurrect Kylix as a Turbo Explorer product at the very least.
Also, if DevCo plans on moving into JavaScript, PHP, or Ruby, the
support for those languages has to be cross-platform or those
communities are simply going to laugh at the offering.

"Tom Wilk" wrote on Sun, 13 Aug 2006 07:14:00 -0500:
Since Linux can be obtained for FREE, it would make a whole bunch of
sense to resurrect Kylix as a Turbo Explorer product at the very least.
Not unless they can address that pesky problem of Linux users not
wanting to pay for software...
--
Brandon Staggs
www.swordsearcher.com

Re:How about kylix?

You know here is where Borland went wrong with kylix. They should make it
only for BSD. and have reference BSD downloadable as vmware image.
What does this buy you?? a lot. There are software and people who are alwys
working on ensuring that BSD applications are portable to all major linux
distributions.
So if borland would just target the main BSD distribution, it should work
everywhere BSD apps work. If it doesnt, now the problem is that a whole
class of BSD apps are not portable. You will have far more interest and
people working on the issue in the opensource community rather than it being
a problem of Kylix or kylix apps not running which engenders little
interest.
Redefine the problem.
Joe Mele
--
Youseful Software
London Number

Craig writes:

>>Yes, that would be cool. I would definitely buy it, if it was updated to
>>work
>>with current Linux distributions.

>I think that was one of the big problems, too many Linux distributions.
>That and no market.

When Kylix 3 was released, it worked on any Linux distribution I tried.
Unfortunately that changed after a while because of changes in the Linux
kernel. If DevCo were to release a new version, ongoing support is a must.

Regarding the "no market" argument: Yes, the big problem is that most
Linux
users don't want to pay for anyting. OTOH there is just nothing available
that can even start to compete with Kylix, apart from maybe Eclipse. But
many people still use a simple text editor for programming, that's
something I don't understand.

(I bought it twice, once with Delphi 7 and once later on when SuSE sold it
in Germany.)

MfG
twm

Re:How about kylix?

as xplat turbos
Devco will have the java IDEs that were used for jbuilder and cbuilderx
--
Youseful Software
London Number

Rod writes:
>sakchai writes:
>>Does Devco re-consider on kylix project?
>>

>a Turbo Kylix !

Re:How about kylix?

"Joseph Mele" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
You know here is where Borland went wrong with kylix. They should make it
only for BSD. and have reference BSD downloadable as vmware image.

It should have designed to generate GC++ code so that it can be compiled by gcc compilers. In this way, it will also be cross platform, not just stucked to IA32.
Another problem of Kylix was product positioning. It tried to a replicate of Delphi on Linux. But then, there are generally two types of Linux developers. One type develops everything on Linux, both client and server sides. The other type is primarily Win32 developers who see Linux as a viable alternative to Windows Server platform. The former is used to free development tools and is unlikely to pay anything. The latter is used to paying for the development tools. So, Kylix should have designed for server side application development only. This would have saved Borland a great deal of effort porting the visual components to Qt.
-- CB Lee

Re:How about kylix?

Hi,
CB Lee writes:
So, Kylix should have designed for
server side application development only. This would have saved Borland a
great deal of effort porting the visual components to Qt.
But that would have deprived me of a very nice tool. (OTOH it would have
saved me from the disappointment when Borland stopped supporting it.)
MfG
twm

Re:How about kylix?

Brandon Staggs writes:
"Tom Wilk" wrote on Sun, 13 Aug 2006 07:14:00 -0500:

>Since Linux can be obtained for FREE, it would make a whole bunch of
>sense to resurrect Kylix as a Turbo Explorer product at the very least.

Not unless they can address that pesky problem of Linux users not
wanting to pay for software...

Hey,
I am a linux user, and I'd buy a updated Kylix in a heartbeat, but
only if they got rid of the QT dependencies and made deployment easier.
Nothing on linux even today is where Kylix was 4 years ago.
MonoDevelop is just {*word*99} and the Java IDEs are not much better.
--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re:How about kylix?

tony caduto writes:
but only if they got rid of the QT dependencies and made deployment easier.
Well, that certainly ups the ante quite a bit, considering CLX was built
around Qt.
I think most people are just wishing for an updated Kylix that is
basically equivalent of K3, except updated for today's distributions and
kernel issues.