Re: I need Turbo & BDS on same machine

2006-09-06 08:23:58 AM
delphi250
This seem like a very strange marketing move to me.
Well, obviously you're not the target customer.
Anyone could use Trial to see what Delphi looks like.
The trial expires after a limited time period.
The trial does not allow installation of components.
The trial does not allow commercial deployment.
No one (I know of)
can do anything (even for hobby) with Delphi without using 3rd party
components or developing their own.
Now you've got me wondering about your competence as a Dephi programmer.
I can show you plenty of worthwhile projects built using just the 200+
components available in Pro. Matter of fact, I can show you projects
built using just what's in Delphi 6 Personal. You would be surprised
how many programmers never use third party or their own custom components.
Even MS Express products allow
you to install the components...
Are you sure? I have heard that it is impossible to develop your own
components and install them in Express editions.
I notice on the Castalia site that the Castalia products have banners
saying they are compatible with the four Turbo products. I wonder if
Borland gave them an advance version of Turbo for testing, or if they
just made an assumption that whatever runs on BDS should also run on
Turbo? If there's any doubt whether the components will run equally well
on Turbo Pro (and if I were a component writer I'd want to test
thoroughly), perhaps what should be done is to give a license for
installing any or all Turbo Pro products to anyone who has purchased BDS.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: I need Turbo & BDS on same machine

Now you've got me wondering about your competence as a Dephi programmer.
Wondering you should not, I am here since D1 ;). However, I agree that
I was probably a bit harsh and you could do a lot of things without
3rd parties. I just noticed, that in my experience, I use 3rd party or
create my own components for virtually every project I do. However,
these are commercial projects. If you need to write a simple e.g.
database conversion utility, or test case for algorithms, you could
easily do so without any 3rd party components.
I was just surprised, I didn't expect it. I think, that Borland
has to exceed MS in order to compete. Instead, they give less features
in almost directly competing products - what are the chances of
someone choosing them? If I am a hobbyist or a student who needs to
play around with something, why choose Turbos? Why not express?
I'd take express, no doubt about it. Delphi won my heard back in the
days because it was by far superior and more innovative, then VS.
Today, I sort of feel sorry for them... I really like the
product and I wish they'd do a better job promoting it.
I also wish they don't spread their limited resources between
so many products and concentrate on improving BDS instead.
>Even MS Express products allow
>you to install the components...
Are you sure? I have heard that it is impossible to develop your own
components and install them in Express editions.
I'm sure, since we developed and tested our Dbisam ADO.Net Provider with it.
Turbo? If there's any doubt whether the components will run equally well
on Turbo Pro (and if I were a component writer I'd want to test
thoroughly), perhaps what should be done is to give a license for
installing any or all Turbo Pro products to anyone who has purchased BDS.
That would be a great idea. I would also invent a separate "component vendor"
type license, under which you are only entitled to use products for
in house compiling and testing of your own components. .
Regards,
Michael

Rick Carter writes:
I wonder if Borland gave them an advance version of Turbo for testing,
That's one of the benefits of the Borland Technology Partner program. To
give third-party component and add-on vendors the ability to test their
products in the relevant Borland IDE products.

Michael Baytalsky writes:
I was just surprised, I didn't expect it. I think, that Borland
has to exceed MS in order to compete. Instead, they give less features
in almost directly competing products
LESS features? Have you counted the features of Explorer vs Express?
Explorer as ONE feature less than Professional. Yes, it is a /major/
feature, but it is only /one/ feature. Express has /many/ features
removed, from what I have read.

Michael Baytalsky writes:
I also wish they don't spread their limited resources between
so many products and concentrate on improving BDS instead.
While Turbo certainly took some of R&D's time, it is essentially the SAME
product, just packaged differently. Probably took more of QA's time than
R&D's. But I am just speculating.
I'd also invent a separate "component vendor" type license, under which
you are
only entitled to use products for in house compiling and testing of your
own
components.
Sounds a lot like the Borland Technology Partner program... hmmm...