EULA Issues

2007-11-07 03:46:18 AM
delphi31
I'm working on a document to publish on our website that gives a
non-lawyerly explanation of our EULA. It won't be comprehensive, but
should explain specific issues of interest and concern to customers.
What issues and areas should be covered? What areas of the EULA would
you like to see explained in a non-legalese (and thus non-legally
binding) way?
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re:EULA Issues

sysrpl writes:
The problem isn't with the EULA per se, but the "take-take"
relationship that seems so pervasive with BorGear. Until you get that
fact I am you will find more people to upset.
You'll have to explain that.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:EULA Issues

David Erbas-White writes:
7. Why the documentation is so sucky (sorry, that one just slipped
out...)
Help files have never reached the quality level of older Borland
manuals.
--
Bill

Re:EULA Issues

David Erbas-White writes:
1. Use on a desktop and a laptop
Got that already.
2. Use in virtual machines
Sort of like the above. I will specify it.
3. Transfer of licenses (bet you never saw that one coming... <G>)
Yep, that is there for sure.
4. Inclusion of components in final work
Do you mean the redistributable stuff?
5. Required copyright notices in produced final work
Not sure there are any -- what are you talking about?
6. Definitions of 'software assurance' and what it buys one
We need this for sure, but this isn't part of the license.
Great stuff, thanks.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:EULA Issues

Kostya writes:
1. Rights to downgrade. Old versions
MUST be offered for download from
your side to legitimate customers.
What do you mean, exactly?
2. Unconditional rights to transfer
license (no written permission
should be required)
Not sure this will happen.
3. Removal of online activation
the way it is implemented now.
License should be obtained once
by internet/email/phone.
Things may change, but I doubt this is going away.
--

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
>1. Rights to downgrade. Old versions
>MUST be offered for download from
>your side to legitimate customers.

What do you mean, exactly?
I suspect he means for example, that if one buys CodeGear RAD Studio,
one should be able to obtain Delphi 7, or 6, or 5, etc..
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:EULA Issues

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
I'm working on a document to publish on our website that gives a
non-lawyerly explanation of our EULA. It won't be comprehensive, but
should explain specific issues of interest and concern to customers.

What issues and areas should be covered? What areas of the EULA would
you like to see explained in a non-legalese (and thus non-legally
binding) way?

The problem isn't with the EULA per se, but the "take-take" relationship
that seems so pervasive with BorGear. Until you get that fact I am you'll
find more people to upset.

Re:EULA Issues

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
I'm working on a document to publish on our website that gives a
non-lawyerly explanation of our EULA. It won't be comprehensive, but
should explain specific issues of interest and concern to customers.

What issues and areas should be covered? What areas of the EULA would
you like to see explained in a non-legalese (and thus non-legally
binding) way?

1. Use on a desktop and a laptop
2. Use in virtual machines
3. Transfer of licenses (bet you never saw that one coming... <G>)
4. Inclusion of components in final work
5. Required copyright notices in produced final work
6. Definitions of 'software assurance' and what it buys one
7. Why the documentation is so sucky (sorry, that one just slipped out...)
David Erbas-White

Re:EULA Issues

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:

I suspect he means for example, that if one buys CodeGear RAD Studio,
one should be able to obtain Delphi 7, or 6, or 5, etc..
We don't currently do that, and I doubt we will. Providing older
versions, especially really old versions, is problematical for a number
of reasons.
--

Kostya writes:
>>1. Rights to downgrade. Old versions
>>MUST be offered for download from
>>your side to legitimate customers.
>
>What do you mean, exactly?

I mean exactly what I have said. Let's say
I got a project that was originally
done in D5 and I own for example D2007
and the customer asked me to fix some
bug. I should be able to download
D5 from your site since I already
paid for Delphi 2007 and do the job.
You paid for D2007, not for D5. Why should anyone paying for one of the
products be entitled to get all previous products?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the

Re:EULA Issues

Thomas Miller writes:
To bad they won't put up a community wiki that we could update as an
online help file. That would be thinking outside the box though :-(
groups.google.com.au/group/borland.public.delphi.non-technical/ms
g/74199be139a2aa4d
I am aware it has been a while -- my point is that it is not a case of
"won't", but "when".
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:EULA Issues

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
We don't currently do that, and I doubt we will. Providing older
versions, especially really old versions, is problematical for a
number of reasons.
I guess it would be useful only to third-party tools developers
(components and add-ins for Delphi) anyway -- if that were a big part
of my business, I would be encouraging users to upgrade to the latest <g>
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:EULA Issues

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
I guess it would be useful only to third-party tools developers
(components and add-ins for Delphi) anyway -- if that were a big part
of my business, I would be encouraging users to upgrade to the latest <g>
And tool vendors can join the CTP program, where they /can/ get older
versions for that exact reason.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re:EULA Issues

David Erbas-White writes:
I'm not sure there are any, either -- but it would be great to
clarify one way or the other. Some components require that you post
(in your 'about' box, for example) that you are using XYZ components,
etc.
We have no such requirements.
--
Nick Hodges