Benchmarks for User Interface Software Tools

As part of a class on "User Interface Software" at the Human Computer
Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University we have developed
a set of Benchmarks with which the students are learning various
toolkits.  We think it would be interesting to see how the experience
of the students match that of people who are experts in using the
various toolkits.  If you are an expert programmer in using a user
interface development tool, like MFC, Visual Basic, PowerPlant, AWT,
Motif, Delphi, etc., can you please implement one or more of the
benchmarks in your toolkit (or maybe find someone to do it) and send
me the results?

The Benchmarks shouldn't take more than a few hours to implement, and
are fun!  Our experience is that if you don't know a toolkit at all,
it still only takes about three or four days to learn the toolkits
enough to implement the benchmarks, so if you have been meaning to
learn a toolkit, maybe try it using one of these benchmarks, and send
us the results.

I would especially appreciate results that I can get before April 4
(about 3 weeks).  But results after that will still be useful.

The full information is in:

        http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~UISBenchmarks

Thank you in advance for your help!

Brad A. Myers
Human Computer Interaction Institute
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3891
(412) 268-5150
FAX: (412) 268-5576
b...@cs.cmu.edu
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bam

Re:Benchmarks for User Interface Software Tools

Brad Myers (b...@cs.cmu.edu) wrote:

: As part of a class on "User Interface Software" at the Human Computer
: Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University we have developed
: a set of Benchmarks with which the students are learning various
: toolkits.

: The full information is in:

:       http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~UISBenchmarks

I went and looked at this site.  They had about 6 benchmarks.  Each were
kind of interesting.  I implemented the Direct Manipulation benchmark
in Tcl/Tk 8.0.  It took me about 4 hours.

I'd like to suggest that others in the Tcl community try out the benchmarks.
It was kind of fun to do - and certainly shows the power of Tcl/Tk.  I'd
also like to see our community have a string showing in the results!!!

Ray

Other Threads