NT vs. 95

In my short experience with Win NT, it surprises me how many of my Win95 (or
parts of it) will not run on NT.  For example, if I pass the parm '/C' to a
screensaver program for 95, all is well and the settings display....... NT, no
luck, it doesn't do a thing.  Also, the multimedia player doesn't work, whether
I'm simply playing a wav (nothing fancy, just open the file and play it) or an
avi file.  Can someone give me some information on this?  I was under the
assumption that "most" 95 programs would run on NT, but apparently I was way
off.  There has to be alot of people wondering this same thing, so if any wise
ol' coders have any info on this, please post a response to this. I'm using D3
(It only figures that I can't find anything in Borlands help section. I may
just remove their help section from my machine to save space.).

Re:NT vs. 95

gard463...@aol.com (Gard463760) wrote:
>In my short experience with Win NT, it surprises me how many of my Win95 (or
>parts of it) will not run on NT.

Right!  They're different operating systems.   That Win32 is a single
API is a myth (much like the lone gunman in the Texas book depository
;-).

However, the WIN95 API is extremely similar to the NT API, moreso, for
example, than many flavors of UNIX (from what my UNIX pals tell me).

John

------------------------

John Lockwood Consulting
http://www.jlockwood.com

Re:NT vs. 95

There is a help file on the Win32 API's that may shed some light on it. I
don't know if you are using the API directly, but the win32.hlp file has a
"quickinfo" for most of the entries. It tells you what functions and proc
work on what OS. The bad part is, it doesn't show the components/methods
Delphi uses, just the API calls. NT, being more secure (and sometimes almost
anal), doesn't allow some of the things that 95 does. I program very little
for NT, but maybe this will shed a little light on it for you...

Eric...

Gard463760 wrote in message

<19980221212300.QAA27...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

>In my short experience with Win NT, it surprises me how many of my Win95
(or
>parts of it) will not run on NT.  For example, if I pass the parm '/C' to a
>screensaver program for 95, all is well and the settings display....... NT,
no
>luck, it doesn't do a thing.  Also, the multimedia player doesn't work,
whether
>I'm simply playing a wav (nothing fancy, just open the file and play it) or
an
>avi file.  Can someone give me some information on this?  I was under the
>assumption that "most" 95 programs would run on NT, but apparently I was
way
>off.  There has to be alot of people wondering this same thing, so if any
wise
>ol' coders have any info on this, please post a response to this. I'm using
D3
>(It only figures that I can't find anything in Borlands help section. I may
>just remove their help section from my machine to save space.).

Re:NT vs. 95

>In my short experience with Win NT, it surprises me how many of my Win95 (or
>parts of it) will not run on NT.  For example, if I pass the parm '/C' to a
>screensaver program for 95, all is well and the settings display....... NT, no
>luck, it doesn't do a thing.  Also, the multimedia player doesn't work, whether
>I'm simply playing a wav (nothing fancy, just open the file and play it) or an
>avi file.

I use the MediaPlayer to play WAV files on both Win95 and NT, and it
works fine on both. Haven't tried AVI.

Let's see the code and we'll probably be able to figure it out.

--

|  Author of these Windows BeerWare titles:
|  - Smoke'em Poker: 5-card draw vs. computer players
|  - Battle Board: Internet fantasy-combat board game

Other Threads