Writing SMS component

Hi,

I'd like to write an application that is able to send short messages (SMS)
via
modem to mobile phones and pagers. I'd like to do this by "calling" the
service center sending the message.

What protocols do I need? Where do I find information about these protocols?

Thanks
Thorsten

PS: I know that there are components that would allow me to do that, but I'd
rather like to implement it myself!

Re:Writing SMS component

"Thorsten Dittmar" <thors...@dithosoft.de> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I'd like to write an application that is able to send short messages (SMS)
> via
> modem to mobile phones and pagers. I'd like to do this by "calling" the
> service center sending the message.

> What protocols do I need? Where do I find information about these

protocols?

The definitive source for all things GSM (and SMS is one of them) is
www.etsi.org.
At the very least you'll want to take a look at GSM 03.40 (Technical
Realisation
of the Short Message Service) and GSM 07.07 (AT Command set for GSM Mobile
Equipment).

I've never sent SMSs from a normal modem, myself - I've used a cellular
router,
but that's basically the same as a mobile phone without the handset part -
so
I don't know the exact details of how to connect to the service centre, etc.

frank

Re:Writing SMS component

Hi Thorsten

What GSM modem are you using?

Try www.dreamfrabric.com/sms as a starter.

I've written an SMS component, I could give you an example with source.

Regards
Leslie Drewery

"Thorsten Dittmar" <thors...@dithosoft.de> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I'd like to write an application that is able to send short messages (SMS)
> via
> modem to mobile phones and pagers. I'd like to do this by "calling" the
> service center sending the message.

> What protocols do I need? Where do I find information about these
protocols?

> Thanks
> Thorsten

> PS: I know that there are components that would allow me to do that, but
I'd
> rather like to implement it myself!

Re:Writing SMS component

The easiest solution is to use an HTTP component and connect to
www.mtnsms.com (South Africas MTN GSM network). They support just about
every GSM network worldwide for free. There are a few tricks involved (you
have to programatically run through the webpage sequence to accumulate the
session variables, get/set cookies etc..)

Paul

"Thorsten Dittmar" <thors...@dithosoft.de> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I'd like to write an application that is able to send short messages (SMS)
> via
> modem to mobile phones and pagers. I'd like to do this by "calling" the
> service center sending the message.

> What protocols do I need? Where do I find information about these
protocols?

> Thanks
> Thorsten

> PS: I know that there are components that would allow me to do that, but
I'd
> rather like to implement it myself!

Re:Writing SMS component

Who are these guys (> www.mtnsms.com)?   I went to their website but there
doesn't seem to be any contact information for them.

Thanks,
David Jameson

Re:Writing SMS component

Go to there main site at www.mtn.co.za

Paul

"David Jameson" <nos...@nospam.digiportal.com> wrote in message

> Who are these guys (> www.mtnsms.com)?   I went to their website but there
> doesn't seem to be any contact information for them.

> Thanks,
> David Jameson

Re:Writing SMS component

Much appreciated,

Re:Writing SMS component

Hi.

Do you have any sources ?
Could you send me or post them ?

thanx in advance,

Steffen

Re:Writing SMS component

try WWW.SMS-WAP.COM

I have made an app that sends text, tones, graphics using these people.

Ian Groves

"Thorsten Dittmar" <thors...@dithosoft.de> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I'd like to write an application that is able to send short messages (SMS)
> via
> modem to mobile phones and pagers. I'd like to do this by "calling" the
> service center sending the message.

> What protocols do I need? Where do I find information about these
protocols?

> Thanks
> Thorsten

> PS: I know that there are components that would allow me to do that, but
I'd
> rather like to implement it myself!

Re:Writing SMS component

I'm using a normal 56k Elsa MicroLink modem. This is not a GSM modem.
However, there are applications that send sms via any modem or ISDN card,
and I want to do the same without special other hard- or software.

Thanks
Thorsten

"Steffen Heil" <mycrof...@gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi.

> Do you have any sources ?
> Could you send me or post them ?

> thanx in advance,

> Steffen

I have a protocol description, i found at "D2", i can mail you.

Ernst Gerlach
ernst.gerl...@epost.de
http://www.gerlach-mtl.de
--- use plain text only in email ---

Re:Writing SMS component

Dear Ernst,

If you make it publicly available, more people may benefit from it.

;O)

Regards,

ATB

Ernst Gerlach wrote:
> "Steffen Heil" <mycrof...@gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi.

> > Do you have any sources ?
> > Could you send me or post them ?

> > thanx in advance,

> > Steffen

> I have a protocol description, i found at "D2", i can mail you.

> Ernst Gerlach
> ernst.gerl...@epost.de
> http://www.gerlach-mtl.de
> --- use plain text only in email ---

Re:Writing SMS component

  Hi

  I would like to be able to do this as well using a "normal" internet
connection (No special modem).  I know there is a way that you can send a
command containing your message and the phone number to some URL and the
message then gets sent to the cell...  Does anyone know what the command is
and where it is supposed to be sent..?

  Is there another way to do this..?

  Eagerly awaiting a reply...  :o)

"Werner Cloete" <wclo...@telepassport.co.za> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>   Hi

>   I would like to be able to do this as well using a "normal" internet
> connection (No special modem).  I know there is a way that you can send a
> command containing your message and the phone number to some URL and the
> message then gets sent to the cell...  Does anyone know what the command
is
> and where it is supposed to be sent..?

>   Is there another way to do this..?

>   Eagerly awaiting a reply...  :o)

You have two possibilities:
a) to use a n{*word*203}modem, or isdn card/ta and call the gsm provider
using ucp protocol (http://www.etsi.org) (they want a lot of money).
b) to use a http component like INDY and feed a free sercice.

Ernst Gerlach
ernst.gerl...@epost.de
http://www.gerlach-mtl.de
--- use plain text only in email ---