Borland Turbo Pascal vs Pascal with Objects

I am trying to learn pascal.  I saw two products on the shelves:
Borland Turbo Pascal for Windows and Borland Pascal with Objects.  Is
Borland Pascal with Objects the same as Borland Turbo Pascal but with
additional "objects?"  If so, what are those "objects?"  Are they
necessary?  Which product should I get?

Could anyone help me or point me to any relavent FAQs available?
Thanks in advance.
Marcus

Re:Borland Turbo Pascal vs Pascal with Objects

In article <42jfe5$...@pulm1.accessone.com> dodri...@accessone.com (Mark Dodrill) writes:
>>I am trying to learn pascal.  I saw two products on the shelves:
>>Borland Turbo Pascal for Windows and Borland Pascal with Objects.  Is
>>Borland Pascal with Objects the same as Borland Turbo Pascal but with
>>additional "objects?"  If so, what are those "objects?"  Are they
>>necessary?  Which product should I get?
>>Could anyone help me or point me to any relavent FAQs available?
>>Thanks in advance.
>>Marcus
>I'd advise you start with just plain Pascal, and then move on to
>Objects.  Unless you've had another computer language before, the jump
>to Pascal and Objects will be very difficult.

The language is identical in the two packages.  The only difference is in the
number of tools you get:  the first (normally called TP) comes with a DOS
compiler and minimal tools, and is much cheaper than the second (normally
called BP).  It comes with a 16 bit protected mode DOS compiler, a Windows
compiler, and a bunch of extra tools like TASM and TD, etc.

Duncan Murdoch

Re:Borland Turbo Pascal vs Pascal with Objects

>I am trying to learn pascal.  I saw two products on the shelves:
>Borland Turbo Pascal for Windows and Borland Pascal with Objects.  Is
>Borland Pascal with Objects the same as Borland Turbo Pascal but with
>additional "objects?"  If so, what are those "objects?"  Are they
>necessary?  Which product should I get?
>Could anyone help me or point me to any relavent FAQs available?
>Thanks in advance.
>Marcus

I'd advise you start with just plain Pascal, and then move on to
Objects.  Unless you've had another computer language before, the jump
to Pascal and Objects will be very difficult.

Mark

In article <42j4kd$...@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>, Marcus wrote:
> I am trying to learn pascal.  I saw two products on the shelves:
> Borland Turbo Pascal for Windows and Borland Pascal with Objects.  Is
> Borland Pascal with Objects the same as Borland Turbo Pascal but with
> additional "objects?"  If so, what are those "objects?"  Are they
> necessary?  Which product should I get?

In essence, they're both the same compiler, but the 'with Objects' can also
produce DOS real and protected mode applications, where the other can only
windows applications. The language supported by both compilers is what
Borland now calls 'Object Pascal', since it's an object-oriented enhancement
to Pascal.

Buy the one you need. If you're sure that you only need the Windows thing,
get it. If you want to produce DOS code, you'll have to buy the larger
packet 'with Objects'. As an alternative to the Windows compiler you could
try Delphi which contains further enhancements to the language and which
makes development of graphical applications a lot easier. But Delphi only
supports windows.

If the only thing you want to do is learn some Pascal programming, maybe you
could get one of the older Borland compilers. They used to sell the pure DOS
version a lot cheaper than the others, so maybe you could save a few bucks
(or whatever) buying *Turbo Pascal* 6.0 or 7.0 (not for Windows!).

Bye,
        Joerg

dodri...@accessone.com (Mark Dodrill) wrote:
>>I am trying to learn pascal.  I saw two products on the shelves:
>>Borland Turbo Pascal for Windows and Borland Pascal with Objects.  Is
>>Borland Pascal with Objects the same as Borland Turbo Pascal but with
>>additional "objects?"  If so, what are those "objects?"  Are they
>>necessary?  Which product should I get?
>>Could anyone help me or point me to any relavent FAQs available?
>>Thanks in advance.
>>Marcus
>I'd advise you start with just plain Pascal, and then move on to
>Objects.  Unless you've had another computer language before, the jump
>to Pascal and Objects will be very difficult.
>Mark

Actually Mark;
If he picks up either package, who said he is forced to use objects.
TPW, BP and TP all will fully function with or without the use of
object extensions...

Jeff

Signature... We don't need no stinkin' signature... whoa hahahhaha!

Jeff  :: jskl...@winternet.com

Other Threads