Delphi 3 - Web server Demos - HELP!

OK, I've wasted enough time on this one.  There are two web server apps in the
demos directory.  One is a CGI the other is ISAPI (using a DLL).

The doc says to simply drop the dll into the server scripts directory and away
you go.  Yeh, right!!  I have dropped that dll into every directory on my
machine and the neighbors next door.

The only thing that happens is that the server sends the stupid dll to me
instead of loading it.  I want the server to 'load' it.  There is very little
(none) doc on these demos.

I know, what server r u  running?  I have tried the Borland web server (no
luck), the MS Personal web server (no luck), the O'Reilly WebSite 1.1 (no
luck).  I give up!!  I want the server to 'load' the dll not send it to me.

Maybe this doesn't really work.  Maybe the guy that developed the demo at
Borland was standing too close to the glue factory.  Maybe web server apps
don't really exist.  Maybe I'm just PLAIN NUTS!!!!!!

Please, does anyone have any idea what I can do (get another job)?  I just
want to run the Borland web server demo (the ISAPI one, not the CGI one).

HELP!!!

Ian Campbell
Toronto.

Re:Delphi 3 - Web server Demos - HELP!

Ian Campbell wrote:

snip..

> The only thing that happens is that the server sends the stupid dll to me
> instead of loading it.  I want the server to 'load' it.  There is very little
> (none) doc on these demos.

Make sure that the directory is configured in the web server as execute
and not
read only.

> I know, what server r u  running?  I have tried the Borland web server (no
> luck), the MS Personal web server (no luck), the O'Reilly WebSite 1.1 (no
> luck).  I give up!!  I want the server to 'load' the dll not send it to me.

ISAPI dll is only applicable to Microsoft's IIS web server as far as I
know.
Netscape's web server for example has a different dll api. I'm not sure
that
an ISAPI dll will be loadable by the web servers you've mentioned.

> Maybe this doesn't really work.  Maybe the guy that developed the demo at
> Borland was standing too close to the glue factory.  Maybe web server apps
> don't really exist.  Maybe I'm just PLAIN NUTS!!!!!!

Maybe. And maybe we're all living in a single subroutine.. :-)

regards,
Billy

Re:Delphi 3 - Web server Demos - HELP!

>The only thing that happens is that the server sends the stupid dll to me
>instead of loading it.  I want the server to 'load' it.  There is very little
>(none) doc on these demos.
>Please, does anyone have any idea what I can do (get another job)?  I just
>want to run the Borland web server demo (the ISAPI one, not the CGI one).

Hi,

I'm running IIS 3.0. In the options dialog there is a checkbox named
"Execute"
If I check that it executes program for that dir, if I dont check it,
the browser dovnloads the programs.

I think PWS work the same way...

Anders Molin
a...@nimo.dk
http://www.nimo.dk/
Money talks... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!

Re:Delphi 3 - Web server Demos - HELP!

Ian,

You need to make sure that the directory you are putting the DLL in
has Execute permissions (and not Read).

The Personal Web Server installation creates one such directory,
called Scripts (under the main PWS directory). You can set the Execute
permission in any other directory using the PWS Adminstration program.

With WebSite things are a bit easier - just change the DLL extension
to .ISA, and place it in any of the documents directories (htdocs for
example).

Regards,

Yaniv Golan, ygo...@hyperact.com
HyperAct, Inc : http://www.hyperact.com

ianc...@interlog.com (Ian Campbell) wrote:
> OK, I've wasted enough time on this one.  There are two web server apps in the
> demos directory.  One is a CGI the other is ISAPI (using a DLL).

> The doc says to simply drop the dll into the server scripts directory and away
> you go.  Yeh, right!!  I have dropped that dll into every directory on my
> machine and the neighbors next door.

> The only thing that happens is that the server sends the stupid dll to me
> instead of loading it.  I want the server to 'load' it.  There is very little
> (none) doc on these demos.

Yaniv Golan
email : ygo...@hyperact.com, ygo...@netvision.net.il

Ian Campbell wrote:

> OK, I've wasted enough time on this one.  There are two web server apps in the
> demos directory.  One is a CGI the other is ISAPI (using a DLL).

> The doc says to simply drop the dll into the server scripts directory and away
> you go.  Yeh, right!!  I have dropped that dll into every directory on my
> machine and the neighbors next door.

> The only thing that happens is that the server sends the stupid dll to me
> instead of loading it.  I want the server to 'load' it.  There is very little
> (none) doc on these demos.

> I know, what server r u  running?  I have tried the Borland web server (no
> luck), the MS Personal web server (no luck), the O'Reilly WebSite 1.1 (no
> luck).  I give up!!  I want the server to 'load' the dll not send it to me.

> Maybe this doesn't really work.  Maybe the guy that developed the demo at
> Borland was standing too close to the glue factory.  Maybe web server apps
> don't really exist.  Maybe I'm just PLAIN NUTS!!!!!!

> Please, does anyone have any idea what I can do (get another job)?  I just
> want to run the Borland web server demo (the ISAPI one, not the CGI one).

> HELP!!!

> Ian Campbell
> Toronto.

This is a really stupid pedantic suggestion, but what OS is your server
using... I can't develop Web Apps, because my ISP uses UNIX boxes, and
Delpi Web Apps need NT to run. It is, after all a WINDOWS development
tool.

In practice, they are not.
Bryan Valencia
Software Services - Making Windows Scream
WWW   : www.invsn.com/softserv/
email : bry...@thevision.net