Remote Access to MSDE on WinME

We're unable to access via TCP/IP a remote WinME PC
running MSDE.  I suppose the case would be the same
with SQL Server Desktop Edition but haven't tried it.

The reason we want to do this is to provide remote
administration services and support to our clients.

The WinME PC is running Dial-up Server.  We do this
all the time with remote Win95 and Win98 PCs, but
WinME DUS seems to block port 1433.  I used a port
scanner program to verify this.

Any ideas on how I might get this working?

Thanks!
Jim

Re:Remote Access to MSDE on WinME

I have 2 suggestions, but both are a stretch and probably will not work:
1) Use the MulitProtocol network library to see if it can connect.
2) Change the default TCP/IP network library port.

Just a thought.

Al

Jim Elden <x@yz> wrote in message news:3ab0c7a1$1_2@dnews...
> We're unable to access via TCP/IP a remote WinME PC
> running MSDE.  I suppose the case would be the same
> with SQL Server Desktop Edition but haven't tried it.

> The reason we want to do this is to provide remote
> administration services and support to our clients.

> The WinME PC is running Dial-up Server.  We do this
> all the time with remote Win95 and Win98 PCs, but
> WinME DUS seems to block port 1433.  I used a port
> scanner program to verify this.

> Any ideas on how I might get this working?

> Thanks!
> Jim

Re:Remote Access to MSDE on WinME

Al,

You were right about #1, multiprotocol did not work.  I have not tried
#2 as I'm not sure how to configure this on MSDE (which does not come
with the Client Network Utility.

But we are entitled to some support incidents with MS (from MSDN)
so I will ask them.

Thanks!
Jim

"Al Cantu" <alca...@att.net> wrote in message news:3ac7457e$1_1@dnews...
> I have 2 suggestions, but both are a stretch and probably will not work:
> 1) Use the MulitProtocol network library to see if it can connect.
> 2) Change the default TCP/IP network library port.

> Just a thought.

> Al

> Jim Elden <x@yz> wrote in message news:3ab0c7a1$1_2@dnews...
> > We're unable to access via TCP/IP a remote WinME PC
> > running MSDE.  I suppose the case would be the same
> > with SQL Server Desktop Edition but haven't tried it.

> > The reason we want to do this is to provide remote
> > administration services and support to our clients.

> > The WinME PC is running Dial-up Server.  We do this
> > all the time with remote Win95 and Win98 PCs, but
> > WinME DUS seems to block port 1433.  I used a port
> > scanner program to verify this.

> > Any ideas on how I might get this working?

> > Thanks!
> > Jim

Re:Remote Access to MSDE on WinME

Try SQL-DMO.  (Yet another stretch.)

Al

Jim Elden <x@yz> wrote in message news:3ac9ff30$1_1@dnews...
> Al,

> You were right about #1, multiprotocol did not work.  I have not tried
> #2 as I'm not sure how to configure this on MSDE (which does not come
> with the Client Network Utility.

> But we are entitled to some support incidents with MS (from MSDN)
> so I will ask them.

> Thanks!
> Jim

> "Al Cantu" <alca...@att.net> wrote in message news:3ac7457e$1_1@dnews...
> > I have 2 suggestions, but both are a stretch and probably will not work:
> > 1) Use the MulitProtocol network library to see if it can connect.
> > 2) Change the default TCP/IP network library port.

> > Just a thought.

> > Al

> > Jim Elden <x@yz> wrote in message news:3ab0c7a1$1_2@dnews...
> > > We're unable to access via TCP/IP a remote WinME PC
> > > running MSDE.  I suppose the case would be the same
> > > with SQL Server Desktop Edition but haven't tried it.

> > > The reason we want to do this is to provide remote
> > > administration services and support to our clients.

> > > The WinME PC is running Dial-up Server.  We do this
> > > all the time with remote Win95 and Win98 PCs, but
> > > WinME DUS seems to block port 1433.  I used a port
> > > scanner program to verify this.

> > > Any ideas on how I might get this working?

> > > Thanks!
> > > Jim

Other Threads