Creating tables using local SQL and BDE 4.51

I'm trying to build some SQL statements to create a copy of the Paradox
tables that I already have. After looking through the little bit of
documentation that I have on local SQL (by local I mean that I'm not using a
SQL server (such as SQLAnywhere) of any kind), I have come to the conclusion
that the Paradox tables cannot be exactly duplicated using SQL alone. Here's
what I found:

    1) Blob fields (of all 5 kinds) are assigned a size of 1 even though I
put BLOB(0, x) in my SQL Create Table statement.
    2) There's no way to make a field required or to have a default value.

Are my suspicions correct? If so, can anyone suggest another way to do this?

--
Ed "LeReveur" Buffey
May all your dreams be sweet! =)

Re:Creating tables using local SQL and BDE 4.51

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:13:15 -0500, "Ed Buffey" <Buf...@RedJacket.com> wrote:
>I'm trying to build some SQL statements to create a copy of the Paradox
>tables that I already have. After looking through the little bit of
>documentation that I have on local SQL (by local I mean that I'm not using a
>SQL server (such as SQLAnywhere) of any kind), I have come to the conclusion
>that the Paradox tables cannot be exactly duplicated using SQL alone.

Does TBatchMove fail to make the copy?

Jasper

Jasper Stil wrote in message <359d581e.2056...@news.euro.net>...
>Does TBatchMove fail to make the copy?

Can't use TBatchMove. I guess I failed to mention that the SQL statements
are to be used to create the tables on someone else's computer. Basically,
I'm writing the utility to convert the tables for version x to version y of
our software.

Ed "LeReveur" Buffey
May all your dreams be sweet! =)

Re:Creating tables using local SQL and BDE 4.51

If you are using Paradox tables, how about using Tables and the
CreateTable procedure?  I think in the FieldDefs there is a Required
setting.

Brian Feifarek wrote in message <359D13D7.39AFE...@jps.net>...
>If you are using Paradox tables, how about using Tables and the
>CreateTable procedure?  I think in the FieldDefs there is a Required
>setting.

You are correct. Now I'm faced with the following:

    1) Do I proceed without required fields?
    2) Do I implement the TTable.CreateTable solution which may not work for
SQL Anywhere?

Someone with more information about SQL Anywhere will have to help me decide
whether option 2 will work because that is what appears to be the direction
we are heading. Currently, we are using the BDE and local SQL only.

Ed "LeReveur" Buffey
May all your dreams be sweet! =)

Other Threads