Wrap text in ReportSmith

Hi

One of my fields in the Table is a string field of some 250 chars.  I'd like
it to be placed in a columnar report with Report Smith (is there a Report
Smith newsgroup, or is it o.k. to ask this here?).  The problem is that
Report Smith seems to put each record on a line, and most of the info in
this field goes missing.  (or is that only in preview mode? - i.e. does it
sort it out when you print?).  I can't see any way to set the coulmn to word
wrap the text - the help section on word wrap speak only about extra text
objects.  Is there any way to do it?

If there's no way to do it, would a solution be to make the String field a
memo field, and then hope that ReportSmith picks up each line at a time.

Finally, are there any good books on ReportSmith? - I'm battling with it.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Re:Wrap text in ReportSmith

Ken Masters wrote:
> Finally, are there any good books on ReportSmith? - I'm battling with it.

Quit battling with it, Ken.  Flush it.

Down the toilet.  No, I'm serious!  Hie thee out and buy a copy of
Crystal Reports Professional (yes, spend the extra dough and get this
version), and you will find that it does what you want it to do.

ReportSmith never will cut the mustard, but it will waste as much of
your time as you care to throw against it.

Re:Wrap text in ReportSmith

Hi

>Quit battling with it, Ken.  Flush it.

>Down the toilet.  No, I'm serious!  Hie thee out and buy a copy of
>Crystal Reports Professional (yes, spend the extra dough and get this
>version), and you will find that it does what you want it to do.

>ReportSmith never will cut the mustard, but it will waste as much of
>your time as you care to throw against it.

Maybe for the future - right now I have a small project, no budget.  So, how
do I wrap text in the column? :-)

Ken

Re:Wrap text in ReportSmith

You could try following :

select the Column wich contains the long field
rightclick the mousebutton so as to see the floating menu
select fieldheight option
set the cangrow option.

This way, Your text wraps around within the vertical bounderies of the
column (but may give some other problems with fieldborders)

Hope this helps.

Yves

Ken Masters <kmast...@iafrica.com> schreef in artikel
<721dt0$bv...@news01.iafrica.com>...

> Hi

> One of my fields in the Table is a string field of some 250 chars.  I'd
like
> it to be placed in a columnar report with Report Smith (is there a Report
> Smith newsgroup, or is it o.k. to ask this here?).  The problem is that
> Report Smith seems to put each record on a line, and most of the info in
> this field goes missing.  (or is that only in preview mode? - i.e. does
it
> sort it out when you print?).  I can't see any way to set the coulmn to
word
> wrap the text - the help section on word wrap speak only about extra text
> objects.  Is there any way to do it?

> If there's no way to do it, would a solution be to make the String field
> memo field, and then hope that ReportSmith picks up each line at a time.

> Finally, are there any good books on ReportSmith? - I'm battling with it.

> Thanks in advance.

> Ken

Re:Wrap text in ReportSmith

Hi

>You could try following :

>select the Column wich contains the long field
>rightclick the mousebutton so as to see the floating menu
>select fieldheight option
>set the cangrow option.

Seems to be perfect!  Now, I knew there was a good reason to check my e-mail
at 6:15 on a Monday a.m.

Thanks a ton!

Ken

Other Threads