MS Access performance

I'm using Delphi 4.  I have just shifted my app from using Paradox to M$
Access 97 and performance has gone through the floor!!

Is there a set of 'tips and tricks' anywhere explaining how to optimise
performance when using Access?

Thanks

Re:MS Access performance

My components offer very good performance for MS-Access:

www.gm-software.de

Re:MS Access performance

Quick answer is no.  Ironically, I switched from MSAccess to DBase, and
later from DBase to MSFoxpro.  MSAccess (97, 98, 2000) has always been
plagued with poor performance, and even worse, poor reliablity and
stability.

MSAccess stores almost all its database tables, indexes, querys, forms,
reports, etc, in one file.  While this is convient for transporting and
installing the database on someone elses machine, it causes obvious problems
for performance (the memory paging has got to be tricky for this).  Consider
this, insert one record into a table, not only is this going to impact that
table, all tables will have to be shifted a little to make room for that
table.  If that table becomes corrupt then *all* tables will become corrupt.
This won't likely occur until your MSAccess database passes 20 megs in size,
and becomes likely at 60 megs.  Take a look at the MSAccess newsgroups and
the faqs for details on this.

Basically if you have to use MSAccess make sure you have very high quality
queries to take care of the database operations (using primary or secondary
indexes).  Give the user a progress bar so that they dont think the program
has crashed (and shut off the machine, making matters worse).

Andrew Ferguson wrote in message <7thk0h$em...@forums.borland.com>...
>I'm using Delphi 4.  I have just shifted my app from using Paradox to M$
>Access 97 and performance has gone through the floor!!

>Is there a set of 'tips and tricks' anywhere explaining how to optimise
>performance when using Access?

>Thanks

Other Threads