SQL Server, BDE 5.01 - Text fields not found

Hello,
perhaps someone can help. I am using the latest (downloaded) version of BDE
5.01 and SQL Links as installed by Delphi c/s 4.0 via an ODBC SQL Server
driver (3.70.06.23) to MS SQL 7.0. The ODBC test for connection to MS SQL
works ok. In fact everything works ok, except that I can only get the
numeric values (numbers, dates, boolean) from a table returned by a query
(which I can scroll through), if I try to access a text field all I get is
Field 'xxxx' not found. Something simple I expect ? BDE ?

help appreciated

pcjd
(dsof...@aol.com)