translating Delphi-Applications

Hello,

does anyone has experiences with localizing
Delphi-Applications? Maybe you can suggest a
Tool or special software, that makes it easy
to translalte that application into several
languages.

Thank you
  Jan

Re:translating Delphi-Applications

Delphi 5 Enterprise comes with the ITE (a localization tool) and
dictionaries for English, French and German.

"Jan Luerssen" <y0016...@tu-bs.de> schreef in bericht

> Hello,

> does anyone has experiences with localizing
> Delphi-Applications? Maybe you can suggest a
> Tool or special software, that makes it easy
> to translalte that application into several
> languages.

> Thank you
>   Jan

Re:translating Delphi-Applications

I have localised Applications before - but not in Delphi.

My method was to cheat.
Since my  native tongue is English - my Spanish is almost non-existent
and my Hebrew totally so - I had few other options.

Write your code in your native tongue.

Wherever text is exposed to the outside world encapulate it like this:

      lblTheInfo.Caption := Lex( 'This is English Text' )

In the function Lex keep a TStringList
     If the 'phrase' is found in the List then return the equivalent

ie:  'This is English Text=Hier gibt es etwas in Englisch'

If the 'phrase' is *not* found then append it to the StringList

ie:  'This is English Text=Hier gibt es etwas in Englisch'
      'Here is something New=Here is something New'

And save the Lexicon to disk.

Now you need to give the clients an editor to modify the Lexicon.

You will (unfortunately) need to worry about keeping the length of the
text the same - this should not be too difficult as you can give the
system a Refresh/Reload Lexicon method so they can see what each thing
looks like and adjust it acordingly.

At the end of it you will land up with a nice little translation file,
and the Users will feel some 'ownership' of the code.

"J French" <je...@iss.u-net.com> skrev i melding

> I have localised Applications before - but not in Delphi.

> My method was to cheat.
> Since my  native tongue is English - my Spanish is almost non-existent
> and my Hebrew totally so - I had few other options.

> Write your code in your native tongue.

> Wherever text is exposed to the outside world encapulate it like this:

>       lblTheInfo.Caption := Lex( 'This is English Text' )

> In the function Lex keep a TStringList
>      If the 'phrase' is found in the List then return the equivalent

> ie:  'This is English Text=Hier gibt es etwas in Englisch'

Nothing like a good cheat....a concept I've been using:

When you write text in component properties, start with e.g. a '' when you
want the text to be translated. Then, in FormCreate, you call a standard
routine that spins through all string properties + TStrings, etc. to check
for the ''. Whenever found, the string is replaced with the corresponding
one like you described (after deleting the '').

This way, you don't have to actually write all the string property
assignments in code.

--
Bjoerge Saether
Consultant / Developer