What to do if you liked TCursors???

Hi there,

i'm quite new to delphi, but i have done a lot on Pdoxwin.
So, for manipulating data in the background i loved to use
TCursors. So what is the best way to adapt to delphi???
If find even searching records with Delphi not very convenient...

Anybody the same "problems"???

thanks

reto mani
m...@iamexwi.unibe.ch
100645.3...@compuserve.com

Re:What to do if you liked TCursors???

In article <3v2qng$...@aragorn.unibe.ch> m...@iam.unibe.ch writes:
>i'm quite new to delphi, but i have done a lot on Pdoxwin.
>So, for manipulating data in the background i loved to use
>TCursors. So what is the best way to adapt to delphi???
>If find even searching records with Delphi not very convenient...

>Anybody the same "problems"???

It took me a little while to adapt, but I now seem to be able to search and
manipulate records fairly readily in Delphi. The problem is probably more
one of documentation -- it is not TRYING to show us how to do the same kind
of things as we did in PDW, so it doesn't...

For searching, I use differnt kinds of code depending on circumstances --
here are two examples:

1. Integer ID search:
   with MyTable do
    First;  { find the record at or just greater than ID }
    While not EOF and (Fields[0].AsInteger<id) do Next;
   end;

2. More recent code I think -- almost certainly BETTER:
   wordTable.FindNearest([wd]);   { find matching/nearest keyboard to WD }

Of course, it can get a lot more complex than this, but I found that once I
sussed what the Tfields gave me, and how to locate the right record, I was
off...

(NB: I also tried SQL with success, but if you want you can get QBE
shareware components too!)

--
cheers,
peter

     Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd, Christchurch, NZ
         Pssst: Wanna buy une used hydrogen bombe?  Not here mate!

Other Threads