Board index » delphi » I was using pascal 4.0 and it died

I was using pascal 4.0 and it died

can any one tell me where I can purchase this old version of pascal from?  I
have been searching all over the place and every one tells me good luck
because of it being obsolete.

If any one can guide me in the right direction I would be most
appreciative!!!!!!!

Thank you,
Shawn Mulligan
Kaz...@talon.net

 

Re:I was using pascal 4.0 and it died


Oh happy easter buddy!

If you have purchased that 4.0 then you should still
have the original floppys and their backup copys.

go out and get anything newer.
Since even turbo pascal 7.0 is out of date and buggy
in lots of sections i would recommend you to upgrade
to FreePascal, a 32 bit compiler for lots of platforms
and of course 99% borland compatible.

Bye AlexS.

Quote
kazack wrote:
> can any one tell me where I can purchase this old version of pascal from?  I
> have been searching all over the place and every one tells me good luck
> because of it being obsolete.

> If any one can guide me in the right direction I would be most
> appreciative!!!!!!!

> Thank you,
> Shawn Mulligan
> Kaz...@talon.net

Re:I was using pascal 4.0 and it died


You can get it from http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/borpas.htm

Quote
kazack wrote:

> can any one tell me where I can purchase this old version of pascal from?  I
> have been searching all over the place and every one tells me good luck
> because of it being obsolete.

> If any one can guide me in the right direction I would be most
> appreciative!!!!!!!

> Thank you,
> Shawn Mulligan
> Kaz...@talon.net

--
Eric Engelmann, Owner/Technical Director
EMS Professional Software
4505 Buckhurst Ct.
Olney MD 20832-1830
Voice:+1-301-924-3594  Fax:+1-212-652-5193 Ask about Internet Fax!
email:i...@emsps.com   http://www.emsps.com

Arrest rate of Washington DC police officers: 19 per 1000
Arrest rate of New York City police officers: 3 per 1000
Arrest rate of Florida concealed handgun permit holders: 0.9 per 1000

Re:I was using pascal 4.0 and it died


Yeah but there is one problem with that.  I can not use nothing but 4.0.
The reason for that is because 4.0 had a bug in it where you can take a
shortcut to an address which saves you about 20 lines everytime you call
that address.  When you use another version of pascal you get compilation
errors due to this shortcut to the address!!!!!!!

Kaz...@talon.net

Quote
Alexander Stohr wrote in message <375C567A.84AAC...@freepage.de>...
>Oh happy easter buddy!

>If you have purchased that 4.0 then you should still
>have the original floppys and their backup copys.

>go out and get anything newer.
>Since even turbo pascal 7.0 is out of date and buggy
>in lots of sections i would recommend you to upgrade
>to FreePascal, a 32 bit compiler for lots of platforms
>and of course 99% borland compatible.

>Bye AlexS.

>kazack wrote:

>> can any one tell me where I can purchase this old version of pascal from?
I
>> have been searching all over the place and every one tells me good luck
>> because of it being obsolete.

>> If any one can guide me in the right direction I would be most
>> appreciative!!!!!!!

>> Thank you,
>> Shawn Mulligan
>> Kaz...@talon.net

Re:I was using pascal 4.0 and it died


Quote
kazack wrote in message <7jkt5e$ht...@news3.microserve.net>...
>Yeah but there is one problem with that.  I can not use nothing
but 4.0.
>The reason for that is because 4.0 had a bug in it where you can
take a
>shortcut to an address which saves you about 20 lines everytime
you call
>that address.

That would be interesting to know about. How do you use it? Can
you give an example?

FP

Re:I was using pascal 4.0 and it died


Quote
Higgi...@ftc-i.SpAmZaP.net wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:49:34 -0500, mister_per...@HOTShotmail.com (Vince Adams)
> wrote:

> >A question.  I have version 7, and would like to update to 7.01.  Is
> >there a free update patch for it somewhere?

> Not free, but "replacement disks" are available, ostensibly to replace damaged
> disks.

> In the USA, if you are a registered owner of BP 7.0 you should be able to obtain
> replacement disks (actually a CD, not diskettes) from Inprise/Borland.  The part
> number is 11SA-BPL29-70.  Cost is about $20 before adding shipping.  This has
> the added advantage of actually being BP 7.01.

> Fixes include some range and overflow checks with byte and shortint which were
> implemented incorrectly in both the RTL and TurboVision.  Other than the RTE200
> (fast Pentium) bug, which is NOT fixed, the only severe bug was the shift bug
> (SHL and SHR) for longint operands with shift values between 16 and 31.  This
> was a processor dependent bug which I _think_ was caused by assuming a 386 or
> better processor was available.

> The RTL is included, but NO, the RTE200 (fast Pentium) bug is NOT fixed in 7.01.
> The standard patches available for download will patch 7.01 with no problem.

> The above is not heresay; I obtained the replacement CD last year when one of my
> own 3-1/2" diskettes proved unreadable, and I have patched my copy of 7.01 to
> fix the fast Pentium bug.

No longer true.  Inprise sold there last copy in November 1998 according to the rep
I passed email with.  They no longer support it in any manner.  According to her,
they no longer even have registration info on who is a registered user of BP v7

I purchased my first borland compiler in March 1985, pascal version 1 for cp/m.
There customer service has really gone downhill from what it used to be.

--
Patrick Goupell

mail  -  pgoup...@up.net
homepage  -  www.up.net/~pgoupell

Re:I was using pascal 4.0 and it died


Patrick, I agree with you.  And I think Jim Higgins bought the last
remaining replacement CD.  I tried to obtain the BP 7.01 replacement
CD back in August-September 1998 but hit a dead end at Borland/Inprise.
Here's the response I got from Borland customer service after requesting
the replacement CD:

Subject: Re: Replacement for Borland Pascal
   Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:33:13 -0700
   From: "Customer Service" <customer-serv...@inprise.com>

Thank you for taking the time send your message to us, and
interest in Inprise software.

The Borland Pascal product line has been discontinued and
is no longer available, including replacement media.

Regards,
Matt
INPRISE Customer Service
Borland and Visibroker Products

A week later I tried again by attempting to order the CD by its
specific part number: "Borland Pascal with Objects 7.0, Part
Number 11SA-BPL29-70".  This time the lady taking orders said
she would check with someone at "Corporate" and would call me
back.  The return call never came.

So, we now have independent confirmations that Borland is no
longer supporting BP 7.01 or offering replacement media.  I
guess our only hope is that someone with the CD would be willing
to make copies for us unfortunate registered users who have been
shafted by Borland/Inprise.  Like Patrick, I have legally owned
Turbo/Borland Pascal for the past 15 years, starting with TP 3.0,
then 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, Delphi 1, Delphi 2, and Delphi 3.
It's hard to believe Borland would abandon loyal customers like
this.  Maybe now that the CEO Delbert Yocam has been ousted, things
will change for the better.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ordered
the killing of the BP 7.01 replacements to "force" loyal customers
to upgrade to the more profitable Delphi line.  If anyone from
Borland/Inprise is reading, come on, how hard can it be to make
a few copies of this BP 7.01 CD available to registered users?
I've already upgraded to Delphi, so you've made your profits off
me.  But I still use BP 7.0 as well and have upwards of 1,000
utility programs written in BP 7 that I regularly use and update.

Quote
Patrick Goupell wrote:
> Higgi...@ftc-i.SpAmZaP.net wrote:

> > On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:49:34 -0500, mister_per...@HOTShotmail.com (Vince Adams)
> > wrote:

> > >A question.  I have version 7, and would like to update to 7.01.  Is
> > >there a free update patch for it somewhere?

> > Not free, but "replacement disks" are available, ostensibly to replace damaged
> > disks.

> > In the USA, if you are a registered owner of BP 7.0 you should be able to obtain
> > replacement disks (actually a CD, not diskettes) from Inprise/Borland.  The part
> > number is 11SA-BPL29-70.  Cost is about $20 before adding shipping.  This has
> > the added advantage of actually being BP 7.01.

> > Fixes include some range and overflow checks with byte and shortint which were
> > implemented incorrectly in both the RTL and TurboVision.  Other than the RTE200
> > (fast Pentium) bug, which is NOT fixed, the only severe bug was the shift bug
> > (SHL and SHR) for longint operands with shift values between 16 and 31.  This
> > was a processor dependent bug which I _think_ was caused by assuming a 386 or
> > better processor was available.

> > The RTL is included, but NO, the RTE200 (fast Pentium) bug is NOT fixed in 7.01.
> > The standard patches available for download will patch 7.01 with no problem.

> > The above is not heresay; I obtained the replacement CD last year when one of my
> > own 3-1/2" diskettes proved unreadable, and I have patched my copy of 7.01 to
> > fix the fast Pentium bug.

> No longer true.  Inprise sold there last copy in November 1998 according to the rep
> I passed email with.  They no longer support it in any manner.  According to her,
> they no longer even have registration info on who is a registered user of BP v7

> I purchased my first borland compiler in March 1985, pascal version 1 for cp/m.
> There customer service has really gone downhill from what it used to be.

> --
> Patrick Goupell

> mail  -  pgoup...@up.net
> homepage  -  www.up.net/~pgoupell

Re:I was using pascal 4.0 and it died


A two diskette upgrade patch was produced by Borland to upgrade to 7.01. We provide it to those who can prove proof of
purchase for BP7 for a fee of $20 plus $5 per diskette, or $30 total for electronic or snail transfer (plus shipping).

Quote
yekim wrote:

> Patrick, I agree with you.  And I think Jim Higgins bought the last
> remaining replacement CD.  I tried to obtain the BP 7.01 replacement
> CD back in August-September 1998 but hit a dead end at Borland/Inprise.
> Here's the response I got from Borland customer service after requesting
> the replacement CD:

> Subject: Re: Replacement for Borland Pascal
>    Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:33:13 -0700
>    From: "Customer Service" <customer-serv...@inprise.com>

> Thank you for taking the time send your message to us, and
> interest in Inprise software.

> The Borland Pascal product line has been discontinued and
> is no longer available, including replacement media.

> Regards,
> Matt
> INPRISE Customer Service
> Borland and Visibroker Products

> A week later I tried again by attempting to order the CD by its
> specific part number: "Borland Pascal with Objects 7.0, Part
> Number 11SA-BPL29-70".  This time the lady taking orders said
> she would check with someone at "Corporate" and would call me
> back.  The return call never came.

> So, we now have independent confirmations that Borland is no
> longer supporting BP 7.01 or offering replacement media.  I
> guess our only hope is that someone with the CD would be willing
> to make copies for us unfortunate registered users who have been
> shafted by Borland/Inprise.  Like Patrick, I have legally owned
> Turbo/Borland Pascal for the past 15 years, starting with TP 3.0,
> then 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, Delphi 1, Delphi 2, and Delphi 3.
> It's hard to believe Borland would abandon loyal customers like
> this.  Maybe now that the CEO Delbert Yocam has been ousted, things
> will change for the better.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ordered
> the killing of the BP 7.01 replacements to "force" loyal customers
> to upgrade to the more profitable Delphi line.  If anyone from
> Borland/Inprise is reading, come on, how hard can it be to make
> a few copies of this BP 7.01 CD available to registered users?
> I've already upgraded to Delphi, so you've made your profits off
> me.  But I still use BP 7.0 as well and have upwards of 1,000
> utility programs written in BP 7 that I regularly use and update.

> Patrick Goupell wrote:

> > Higgi...@ftc-i.SpAmZaP.net wrote:

> > > On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:49:34 -0500, mister_per...@HOTShotmail.com (Vince Adams)
> > > wrote:

> > > >A question.  I have version 7, and would like to update to 7.01.  Is
> > > >there a free update patch for it somewhere?

> > > Not free, but "replacement disks" are available, ostensibly to replace damaged
> > > disks.

> > > In the USA, if you are a registered owner of BP 7.0 you should be able to obtain
> > > replacement disks (actually a CD, not diskettes) from Inprise/Borland.  The part
> > > number is 11SA-BPL29-70.  Cost is about $20 before adding shipping.  This has
> > > the added advantage of actually being BP 7.01.

> > > Fixes include some range and overflow checks with byte and shortint which were
> > > implemented incorrectly in both the RTL and TurboVision.  Other than the RTE200
> > > (fast Pentium) bug, which is NOT fixed, the only severe bug was the shift bug
> > > (SHL and SHR) for longint operands with shift values between 16 and 31.  This
> > > was a processor dependent bug which I _think_ was caused by assuming a 386 or
> > > better processor was available.

> > > The RTL is included, but NO, the RTE200 (fast Pentium) bug is NOT fixed in 7.01.
> > > The standard patches available for download will patch 7.01 with no problem.

> > > The above is not heresay; I obtained the replacement CD last year when one of my
> > > own 3-1/2" diskettes proved unreadable, and I have patched my copy of 7.01 to
> > > fix the fast Pentium bug.

> > No longer true.  Inprise sold there last copy in November 1998 according to the rep
> > I passed email with.  They no longer support it in any manner.  According to her,
> > they no longer even have registration info on who is a registered user of BP v7

> > I purchased my first borland compiler in March 1985, pascal version 1 for cp/m.
> > There customer service has really gone downhill from what it used to be.

> > --
> > Patrick Goupell

> > mail  -  pgoup...@up.net
> > homepage  -  www.up.net/~pgoupell

--
Eric Engelmann, Owner/Technical Director
EMS Professional Software
4505 Buckhurst Ct.
Olney MD 20832-1830
Voice:+1-301-924-3594  Fax:+1-212-652-5193 Ask about Internet Fax!
email:i...@emsps.com   http://www.emsps.com

Arrest rate of Washington DC police officers: 19 per 1000
Arrest rate of New York City police officers: 3 per 1000
Arrest rate of Florida concealed handgun permit holders: 0.9 per 1000

Re:I was using pascal 4.0 and it died


In article <37705329.BEBB3...@emsps.com>,
Eric Engelmann  <i...@emsps.com> wrote:

Quote
> A two diskette upgrade patch was produced by Borland to upgrade to 7.01.
> We provide it to those who can prove proof of purchase for BP7 for a fee
> of $20 plus $5 per diskette, or $30 total for electronic or snail
> transfer (plus shipping).

I think the above begs the question of how you are doing this legally?

A company I do contract work for has been attempting (for quite some time, to
no avail) to make a deal with Borland (er, Inprise) which would allow us to
license Borland Pascal 7.x for resale.  How is it that you are able to do so?

--Mark Iuzzolino
one of the monst...@monstersoft.com  |  "When we're not programming
http://www.monstersoft.com           |   we're eating the furniture."

Other Threads