Q: How to change from Paradox 5.0 tables to Interbase, and does it worth?

Hi,

  I wondered if i need to change my tables and data from paradox to
Interbase format possible or not, and does working with interbase more
safe for data than paradox?

Thanks..

MAH

Re:Q: How to change from Paradox 5.0 tables to Interbase, and does it worth?

Mohamed Hammady <mhamm...@idsc1.gov.eg> wrote:
>Hi,

>  I wondered if i need to change my tables and data from paradox to
>Interbase format possible or not, and does working with interbase more
>safe for data than paradox?

>Thanks..

>MAH

Interbase is a great "learner" database engine.  You can do most
things right at your desktop and not have to worry about a database
administrator "allowing" you to do what you need to do.  That's great
when you work at home a lot.  And now, with Delphi 3.0 and its
Client/Server package that include a "real" database engine with the
included Interbase server, you can do most of the things the "big
boys" do (Oracle).

You can build a database "pump" to move your data from Paradox to
Interbase.  With Delphi 3.0 C/S, that's included.  One of our
developers did just that in order to "pump" data from an existing
Clipper system into an Oracle database.

As far a being safe, that depends on what your network admins,
database admins, and you consider safe.  Interbase has essentially one
file that contains the whole database (tables, indices, triggers,
stored procedures, generators, views, etc.).  As you know, Paradox has
a BUNCH of files, one for the table itself and bunches for the
indexes.  I personally like the one-file approach.  So do our internal
auditors.  If you trust your network services group to backup your
database every night and provide timely and reliable restores when
needed, then there's not much else you can do.  However, your
customers will no longer be able to back up their data locally with
PKZIP or whatever.  The database file is just too big, presuming they
could get to it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Other Threads