HELP: Having problems with some freeware components...

I have been experiencing some strange problems with some non-source
components ever since I got D5. Obviously I downloaded the latest
version of these components, the versions for D5, but they keep asking
me for the location of several .pas files. Obviously I don't have
them, as these are .dcu components with no source supplied.

I originally thought this was just a problem with JG's tip of the day,
and after emailing him and getting no joy I just gave up using it and
wrote my own routine.

But...... I just downloaded and installed Async32 Version 1.6 so I
could do some serial comms stuff, and I have run into exactly the same
problem. I have the environment path all set up, the components are
happily sitting on the toolbar, but I can chuck them on a form, but
can't run them, or compile/run the example programs without it asking
for locations of various Async32 .pas files (which I don't have!).

Is this something I am missing in the config of D5, or have the
component writers got it wrong?

Dodgy.

Re:HELP: Having problems with some freeware components...

It sure sounds like a library path problem.  Where are the DCU's located?
If not in your Delphi  "lib" folder, move them there temporarily and see if
the problem  goes away.

_________________________
Gary
http://www.delphiforfun.org
_________________________

"Dodgy" <Do...@uk.earth> wrote in message

> I have been experiencing some strange problems with some non-source
> components ever since I got D5. Obviously I downloaded the latest
> version of these components, the versions for D5, but they keep asking
> me for the location of several .pas files. Obviously I don't have
> them, as these are .dcu components with no source supplied.

> I originally thought this was just a problem with JG's tip of the day,
> and after emailing him and getting no joy I just gave up using it and
> wrote my own routine.

> But...... I just downloaded and installed Async32 Version 1.6 so I
> could do some serial comms stuff, and I have run into exactly the same
> problem. I have the environment path all set up, the components are
> happily sitting on the toolbar, but I can chuck them on a form, but
> can't run them, or compile/run the example programs without it asking
> for locations of various Async32 .pas files (which I don't have!).

> Is this something I am missing in the config of D5, or have the
> component writers got it wrong?

> Dodgy.

Re:HELP: Having problems with some freeware components...

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:46:10 -0500, "Gary Darby"
<garydn...@delphiforfun.com> waffled on about something:

>It sure sounds like a library path problem.  Where are the DCU's located?
>If not in your Delphi  "lib" folder, move them there temporarily and see if
>the problem  goes away.

I gave it I try, but no change.
I already had the directory containing the component .dcu files in the
library path, so to be honest I would have been more puzzled if it had
worked!
I have several components that do work, but they tend to be the bigger
ones such as plasmatools and diamond access, it's the smaller ones
that give the problems.

Oh well, guess I'll have to wait to see if I get a reply from the
async32 author.

Thanks for trying,

Dodgy.

Other Threads