DBExtender, What do you think

Hi all,

I think one of the most powerful, compact, code free, reasonably priced
database component available for Delphi 1.0, and 2.0, is DBExtender.

I am not sending this post as to promote DBExtender, just to here from other
users who have used it, and what they think about it.

I hope the lack of posts in these forums is due to the solid integrity, ease of
use, and good documentation of DBExtender, rather than a lack of interest.

Thanks!

----
RKR

E-Mail:  r...@primenet.com

Re:DBExtender, What do you think

I did look DBExtender last spring. My feeling was that it was in some
kind 'heavy', meaning extra overweight to my application, that I didn't
and don't want to get. Of course I can be totally wrong, and I probably
am, if you have tested it more thoroughly, and found it to be good.

Please, tell me shortly what are _the best_ properties of DBExtender
that Delphi 1.0 lacks? Perhaps some kind of more advanced filters ??

Markku Nevalainen

r...@primenet.com wrote:

> Hi all,

> I think one of the most powerful, compact, code free, reasonably priced
> database component available for Delphi 1.0, and 2.0, is DBExtender.

> I am not sending this post as to promote DBExtender, just to here from other
> users who have used it, and what they think about it.

> I hope the lack of posts in these forums is due to the solid integrity, ease of
> use, and good documentation of DBExtender, rather than a lack of interest.

Re:DBExtender, What do you think

Mark Nevalainen responded to my post with:

> I did look DBExtender last spring. My feeling was that it was in some
> kind 'heavy', meaning extra overweight to my application, that I didn't
> and don't want to get. Of course I can be totally wrong, and I probably
> am, if you have tested it more thoroughly, and found it to be good.

> Please, tell me shortly what are _the best_ properties of DBExtender
> that Delphi 1.0 lacks? Perhaps some kind of more advanced filters ??

I think that DBExtender covers alot of ground for the developer and it is easy
to justify the cost of the component. Other than integrity checking,  repairing
etc., there doesn't seem to be much coding I will need to do to . In fact,
other that setting one property of the component at design time, one needs to
do NO coding..

I like:

1)  Search on any field, on any table, at anytime (sounds like an AT&T
    commercial)

2)  Filter the DGGrids, or dataset to whatever criteria the user wants using
    one cleverly planned dialog.

All it's actions seem quick on the machine I use (DX4 120 mhz).

What type of overhead do you mean?

----
RKR

E-Mail:  r...@primenet.com

> r...@primenet.com wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > I think one of the most powerful, compact, code free, reasonably priced
> > database component available for Delphi 1.0, and 2.0, is DBExtender.

> > I am not sending this post as to promote DBExtender, just to here from other
> > users who have used it, and what they think about it.

> > I hope the lack of posts in these forums is due to the solid integrity,
> ease of
> > use, and good documentation of DBExtender, rather than a lack of interest.

Re:DBExtender, What do you think

Yes,about the  DBExtender component, here is the Delphi Super Page
reference to the product:
http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/delphi/ftp/free/dbex099b.zip

About the overhead: I just made simple test, I replaced the standard
Delphi 1.0 DBNavigator component with Extender's DBENavigator component
and
one DBExtender component. The size of optimized EXE-file grew from
359 kB to 585 kB.
So adding DBExtender I got 60% more 'something' to my application, and I
don't know exactly what this is.

This made me think that the component is fat. Of course, if I started to
calculate all the other components I dont have to use, when I have
DBExtender,
then the result could be better for it.

I think there is no way to adjust the properties of DBExtender. If
I only need, lets say, a better filter, I have to take the whole
DBExtender
and the extra 230 kBytes to my EXE-file.

Markku Nevalainen

In article <32B19BBA.6...@netlife.fi>, Markku Nevalainen
<mneva...@netlife.fi> writes

>Please, tell me shortly what are _the best_ properties of DBExtender
>that Delphi 1.0 lacks? Perhaps some kind of more advanced filters ??

We came to Delphi 1 from Paradox for Windoze, and although we found
Delphi a 500% improvement, there were a few areas where we missed the
'out of the box' functionality of Paradox tables.

With just one component, DBExtender added nearly all the missing
functions to the TDBGrid. Our users love the incremental search, user-
definable filters, bookmarks, table lookups - our developers love that
fact that all this requires zero lines of code!

Thoroughly recommended - John

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
John P.McCreesh     | Net:   100336.1...@compuserve.com
Forbo-Lancaster Ltd.| X.400: c=GB,a=CWMAIL,p=FORBO,s=McCreesh
Lancaster, England  | Voice: +44 (0)1524 65222 Fax: +44 (0)1524 61638

Re:DBExtender, What do you think

> Yes,about the  DBExtender component, here is the Delphi Super Page
> reference to the product:
> http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/delphi/ftp/free/dbex099b.zip

> About the overhead: I just made simple test, I replaced the standard
> Delphi 1.0 DBNavigator component with Extender's DBENavigator component
> and
> one DBExtender component. The size of optimized EXE-file grew from
> 359 kB to 585 kB.
> So adding DBExtender I got 60% more 'something' to my application, and I
> don't know exactly what this is.

> This made me think that the component is fat. Of course, if I started to
> calculate all the other components I dont have to use, when I have
> DBExtender,
> then the result could be better for it.

> I think there is no way to adjust the properties of DBExtender. If
> I only need, lets say, a better filter, I have to take the whole
> DBExtender
> and the extra 230 kBytes to my EXE-file.

> Markku Nevalainen

I have not so far looked at it that way, and will someday try tests of such.

DBExtender's options are easily configurable by using the Object Inspector to
hide or deny (reduce) the use of any of it's features at design time that would
not be appropriate or an overkill to the user.

I wonder if the tests you mention above were done on a DbExtender control with
ALL it's available (and visible) options employed?  And if so, would reducing,
recompiling, achieve a less "Fat" result?

But currently, the project I am working on is so large in size (forms,
graphics, etc..) that the size of the .EXE is generally larges as is, and the
added power I can add with just one clever component, seems to outweigh the
downside.

----
RKR

E-Mail:  r...@primenet.com