Limitations in TP5???

Hi!
I'm writing a software to control a telephone switch in TP5, and it seems
to get bigger and bigger and bigger....  I've already hit the 64K limit in
my variables, the size of a textfile in the compilers editor, the size of
a statement, and so on.  Units and my imagination have solved the problems
this far, but I'm afraid my luck is running out... Anybody know if there
is a limit on how many units you can have, or how big your executable can
be, or something else that I haven't even heard before?  Should I change
the language? If so, what would would you recommend, C++?  All comments
are greatly appreciated, you can send them to Pete at Rangep...@aol.com or
post in this newsgroup!  Thanks again!

               Pete

Re:Limitations in TP5???

Range Pete wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm writing a software to control a telephone switch in TP5, and it seems
> to get bigger and bigger and bigger....  I've already hit the 64K limit in
> my variables, the size of a textfile in the compilers editor, the size of
> a statement, and so on.  Units and my imagination have solved the problems
> this far, but I'm afraid my luck is running out... Anybody know if there
> is a limit on how many units you can have, or how big your executable can
> be, or something else that I haven't even heard before?  Should I change
> the language? If so, what would would you recommend, C++?  All comments
> are greatly appreciated, you can send them to Pete at Rangep...@aol.com or
> post in this newsgroup!  Thanks again!

>                Pete

This may sound extremely brutal to you, but suggest you s{*word*99} your code and
start anew!  What you've done so far is not lost:  you'll find that the
next version is substantially easier to code, substantially smaller and much
more elegant.  In this new version, you'll know enough to make the important
abstractions explicit, i.e. wrapped as classes and units, and you'll know
enough to completely restructure the app to a *suitable* form instead of
an arbitrary form (which is what one has to choose without knowing the
results of a first attempt).

I've found programming is like writing.  The important thing is not what
you produce as you go, but what you are able to send to incinerator... :-)

Hope this helps,

- Alf

PS:  BP 7.0 is much better, since it can produce protected mode DOS apps.

Re:Limitations in TP5???

In article <4nvedc$...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
   rangep...@aol.com (Range Pete) wrote:

>Hi!
>I'm writing a software to control a telephone switch in TP5, and it seems
>to get bigger and bigger and bigger....  I've already hit the 64K limit in
>my variables, the size of a textfile in the compilers editor, the size of
>a statement, and so on.  Units and my imagination have solved the problems
>this far, but I'm afraid my luck is running out... Anybody know if there
>is a limit on how many units you can have, or how big your executable can
>be, or something else that I haven't even heard before?  Should I change
>the language? If so, what would would you recommend, C++?  All comments
>are greatly appreciated, you can send them to Pete at Rangep...@aol.com or
>post in this newsgroup!  Thanks again!

No need to change languages. Upgrade to BP7 and use protected mode. You may
have to make a few changes in any interrupt handlers and you still have the
64K data segment but code size is only limited by system memory.

If you really want to free all restraints you can get the freeware 32 bit
pascal compiler, FPK Pascal. It's about 90% TP compatible.

The new version (about 800 kB) can be downloaded via ftp from
ftp://ftp.uni-freiburg.de/pub/pc/msdos/fpk-pascal/fpkpas64.zip

Mike Chapin
Powder River
mcha...@vcn.com
http://www.vcn.com/server/netizens/mchapin/first.html
Gillette, WY

Not the end of the earth but you can see it from
there.

Re:Limitations in TP5???

In article <4o6qd3$...@news.tcd.net>, Mike Chapin <mcha...@vcn.com> wrote:
>No need to change languages. Upgrade to BP7 and use protected mode. You may
>have to make a few changes in any interrupt handlers and you still have the
>64K data segment but code size is only limited by system memory.

Only if you have less than 16MB.

Other Threads