SQL-Server vs. Oracle

What are the main differences between SQL-Server and Oracle - Databases ?

What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

A few things come to mind.

SQL Server 7 : Windows (NT or 95/98) only for the OS (NT if installed as
server), a few interesting features which I believe Oracle doesn't have (ERD
generation, schedulable import/export packages), cheaper licensing

Oracle : NT, Unix or Linux for the OS, user definable functions

--

Alain Quesnel
cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

-----

Peter K. <g...@rlham.mhs.compuserve.com> wrote in message

> What are the main differences between SQL-Server and Oracle - Databases ?

> What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

And don't forget that Oracle can handle more data... but needs a lot of
tuning!!

--

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

For InterBase Workbench,
the developer tool for InterBase
http://www.interbaseworkbench.com

For Delphi Components and InterBase tools:
http://www.upscene.com

?

> > What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

There's also an Oracle version for Solaris.

"Alain Quesnel" <cinqnos...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> A few things come to mind.

> SQL Server 7 : Windows (NT or 95/98) only for the OS (NT if installed as
> server), a few interesting features which I believe Oracle doesn't have
(ERD
> generation, schedulable import/export packages), cheaper licensing

> Oracle : NT, Unix or Linux for the OS, user definable functions

> --

> Alain Quesnel
> cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

> -----
> Peter K. <g...@rlham.mhs.compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > What are the main differences between SQL-Server and Oracle - Databases
?

> > What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

I forgot to mention that user definable functions will be part of the
upcoming SQL Server 2000. However, some clients might feel more comfortable
with Oracle (reputation-wise, anyway).

--

Alain Quesnel

Product Manager
Argos Software
alainnos...@argosoftware.com

===========

"Steve Magruder" <steve.magru...@fisonline.com> wrote in message

> There's also an Oracle version for Solaris.

> "Alain Quesnel" <cinqnos...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > A few things come to mind.

> > SQL Server 7 : Windows (NT or 95/98) only for the OS (NT if installed as
> > server), a few interesting features which I believe Oracle doesn't have
> (ERD
> > generation, schedulable import/export packages), cheaper licensing

> > Oracle : NT, Unix or Linux for the OS, user definable functions

> > --

> > Alain Quesnel
> > cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

> > -----
> > Peter K. <g...@rlham.mhs.compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > > What are the main differences between SQL-Server and Oracle -
Databases
> ?

> > > What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

Oracle is a high-end RDBMS. Very expensive. Large corp. such as AT&T, Sprint
use it. It is DBA intensive. It is famous for Unix OSes. Its RAD (Designer
2000) is not that hot. It is suggested to use Delphi intead.

MS/SQL Server is cheaper, version 7 and SQL Server 2k are much better. Its
catching up with Oracle. NT based only. However, SQL7 client edition will
run perfectly on Windows 95/98/NT Workstation. Very easy to administer.
Plenty of support (free) if your shop is pure MS. Delphis 4-5 works very
well with MS/Sql 7 along with ADO2.1/2.5.

I had worked with both. Personally, I like SQL 7 better!

Toan

> What are the main differences between SQL-Server and Oracle - Databases ?

> What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

How do you think they compare on issues like stability and performance
against huge databases (i.e. millions of rows)?

--

Alain Quesnel

Product Manager
Argos Software
alainnos...@argosoftware.com

===========

Toan N wrote:
> Oracle is a high-end RDBMS. Very expensive.

Oracle for NT now costs $160. per seat, with a minimum of 5 seats.  I use Oracle
and I like it.  It is rock-solid, well documented and has the best error
messages in the business.  PL/SQL, the procedural language, is extremely
powerful, and very
Pascal-like.  SqlServer is probably easier to administer.  Oracle also has a
single-user version, so you can scale your app from one user, to NT, to Novell,
to Unix, to a mainframe, if you want.

John Pierce

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

No doubt - It is Oracle as I mentioned "Oracle is a high-end RDBMS".

Toan

Alain Quesnel <alainsanss...@argosoftware.com> wrote in message

> How do you think they compare on issues like stability and performance
> against huge databases (i.e. millions of rows)?

> --

> Alain Quesnel

> Product Manager
> Argos Software
> alainnos...@argosoftware.com

> ===========
> "Toan N" <Toan_Ngu...@Fws.Gov> wrote in message
> > Oracle is a high-end RDBMS. Very expensive. Large corp. such as AT&T,
> Sprint
> > use it. It is DBA intensive. It is famous for Unix OSes. Its RAD
(Designer
> > 2000) is not that hot. It is suggested to use Delphi intead.

> > MS/SQL Server is cheaper, version 7 and SQL Server 2k are much better.
Its
> > catching up with Oracle. NT based only. However, SQL7 client edition
will
> > run perfectly on Windows 95/98/NT Workstation. Very easy to administer.
> > Plenty of support (free) if your shop is pure MS. Delphis 4-5 works very
> > well with MS/Sql 7 along with ADO2.1/2.5.

> > I had worked with both. Personally, I like SQL 7 better!

> > Toan

> > Peter K. <g...@rlham.mhs.compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > > What are the main differences between SQL-Server and Oracle -
Databases
> ?

> > > What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

In our experience Oracle 8i for NT is not rock solid. We experience various
strange Oracle internal errors when trying to change meta-data in a
database, e.g. We can create a view but Sql*Plus fails on trying to create
grants on that view. There is one table in our database which Oracle just
refuses to allow adding a column to. And so on. Oracle 8i is not rock solid
on NT. Can't speak for Unix.

Regards,
Danny Mavromatis.

Toan N wrote in message <8f7b8b$2...@bornews.borland.com>...
>No doubt - It is Oracle as I mentioned "Oracle is a high-end RDBMS".

>Toan

>Alain Quesnel <alainsanss...@argosoftware.com> wrote in message
>> How do you think they compare on issues like stability and performance
>> against huge databases (i.e. millions of rows)?

>> --

>> Alain Quesnel

>> Product Manager
>> Argos Software
>> alainnos...@argosoftware.com

>> ===========
>> "Toan N" <Toan_Ngu...@Fws.Gov> wrote in message
>> > Oracle is a high-end RDBMS. Very expensive. Large corp. such as AT&T,
>> Sprint
>> > use it. It is DBA intensive. It is famous for Unix OSes. Its RAD
>(Designer
>> > 2000) is not that hot. It is suggested to use Delphi intead.

>> > MS/SQL Server is cheaper, version 7 and SQL Server 2k are much better.
>Its
>> > catching up with Oracle. NT based only. However, SQL7 client edition
>will
>> > run perfectly on Windows 95/98/NT Workstation. Very easy to administer.
>> > Plenty of support (free) if your shop is pure MS. Delphis 4-5 works
very
>> > well with MS/Sql 7 along with ADO2.1/2.5.

>> > I had worked with both. Personally, I like SQL 7 better!

>> > Toan

>> > Peter K. <g...@rlham.mhs.compuserve.com> wrote in message
>Databases
>> ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

Do I need to buy Delphi 5 Client Server/Enterprise Edition to access MS SQL
7.0?. It's Delphi 5 Pro sufficient to do the job?
Thanks for your response
Mines
Toan N wrote:
> Oracle is a high-end RDBMS. Very expensive. Large corp. such as AT&T, Sprint
> use it. It is DBA intensive. It is famous for Unix OSes. Its RAD (Designer
> 2000) is not that hot. It is suggested to use Delphi intead.

> MS/SQL Server is cheaper, version 7 and SQL Server 2k are much better. Its
> catching up with Oracle. NT based only. However, SQL7 client edition will
> run perfectly on Windows 95/98/NT Workstation. Very easy to administer.
> Plenty of support (free) if your shop is pure MS. Delphis 4-5 works very
> well with MS/Sql 7 along with ADO2.1/2.5.

> I had worked with both. Personally, I like SQL 7 better!

> Toan

> Peter K. <g...@rlham.mhs.compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > What are the main differences between SQL-Server and Oracle - Databases ?

> > What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

Mines,

D5 Pro + ADO Express (or other 3rd party ADO components) should get you
connected.

HTH,
Jim

<mbola...@wnfl.com> wrote in message news:392AADF8.3AC3C0AB@wnfl.com...
> Do I need to buy Delphi 5 Client Server/Enterprise Edition to access MS
SQL
> 7.0?. It's Delphi 5 Pro sufficient to do the job?
> Thanks for your response
> Mines

> Toan N wrote:

> > Oracle is a high-end RDBMS. Very expensive. Large corp. such as AT&T,
Sprint
> > use it. It is DBA intensive. It is famous for Unix OSes. Its RAD
(Designer
> > 2000) is not that hot. It is suggested to use Delphi intead.

> > MS/SQL Server is cheaper, version 7 and SQL Server 2k are much better.
Its
> > catching up with Oracle. NT based only. However, SQL7 client edition
will
> > run perfectly on Windows 95/98/NT Workstation. Very easy to administer.
> > Plenty of support (free) if your shop is pure MS. Delphis 4-5 works very
> > well with MS/Sql 7 along with ADO2.1/2.5.

> > I had worked with both. Personally, I like SQL 7 better!

> > Toan

> > Peter K. <g...@rlham.mhs.compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > > What are the main differences between SQL-Server and Oracle -
Databases ?

> > > What advantages / disadvantages have these Systems ?

Re:SQL-Server vs. Oracle

Thanks Jim
Jim Elden wrote:
> Mines,

> D5 Pro + ADO Express (or other 3rd party ADO components) should get you
> connected.

> HTH,
> Jim

> <mbola...@wnfl.com> wrote in message news:392AADF8.3AC3C0AB@wnfl.com...
> > Do I need to buy Delphi 5 Client Server/Enterprise Edition to access MS
> SQL
> > 7.0?. It's Delphi 5 Pro sufficient to do the job?
> > Thanks for your response
> > Mines

> > Toan N wrote:

> > > Oracle is a high-end RDBMS. Very expensive. Large corp. such as AT&T,
> Sprint
> > > use it. It is DBA intensive. It is famous for Unix OSes. Its RAD
> (Designer
> > > 2000) is not that hot. It is suggested to use Delphi intead.

> > > MS/SQL Server is cheaper, version 7 and SQL Server 2k are much better.
> Its
> > > catching up with Oracle. NT based only. However, SQL7 client edition
> will
> > > run perfectly on Windows 95/98/NT Workstation. Very easy to administer.
> > > Plenty of support (free) if your shop is pure MS. Delphis 4-5 works very
> > > well with MS/Sql 7 along with ADO2.1/2.5.

> > > I had worked with both. Personally, I like SQL 7 better!

> > > Toan

> > > Peter K. <g...@rlham.mhs.compuserve.com> wrote in message
> Databases ?

Other Threads